Thread: Really Cool Umbrellas

Blog Entries

Default Really Cool Umbrellas

I own 4 umbrellas. Got 'em all as gifts and have never used one. Ever.

Maybe if I got one of these........

Self-Defense Walking Stick Umbrella - This one is plain mean and ornery:
    http://www.boston.com/business/galle...umbrellas?pg=4

Euroschirm Trekking Umbrella - Performs in the Slide for Life as well as in Rockslides:
    http://www.boston.com/business/galle...umbrellas?pg=6

The Nubrella - You wear this one:
    http://www.boston.com/business/galle...umbrellas?pg=2
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I have heard quite a few jokes about my using an umbrella in the woods. The Mary Poppins survivalist ones have been done to death but if if you have any jokes you think I have not heard please go ahead. I hate rain gear, I sweat so bad in it I wind up just as wet. I have some Carhart breathable gear now but have not fully tested it yet. Most of my life I just got wet or brought an umbrella. Umbrella's are and instant shelter and nothing can be put up as fast. I have the largest one I could find and it is so nice to just pop it up, lay down a piece of foam to sit on and fire up cookstove or multi wick survival candles to get out of the wind and rain to warm up, have a quick meal or just take a break from the trail. I sometimes jump from high obsticles using it as a parachute that would otherwise break my leg. It is great around camp to set up a kitchen or just having a dry spot to store gear. I have made a few modifications to make it more useful for that.

I drilled a hole in the end so I can hang it with a carabineer or rope.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I cut the end of the handle off to expose tubing so I could stick it on the end of hiking pole for adjustable height or the back of my folding chair I take fishing or have sometimes shaved down small trees to prop it on.

I have even tried to camouflage it to have an instant blind. Birds have good eyesight and even if you are not hunting birds they will comunicate your position. I had some problems getting the paint to stick to the waterproof fabric and quit before finishing but you get the idea. I still looking for the right kind of textile paint to try again.

Laugh all you want but I have caught fish long after the rain has driven everybody else for shelter

Blog Entries

That's really neat, AS! Nice work!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I'm having flashbacks of Batman cartoons with the Penguin and his ultimate utility umbrella.....

Also, no way am I wearing that 3rd one. You'd look like some kind of space tourist.

On a more serious note, I don't think I could ever justify the weight and awkwardness of an umbrella in my survival/outdoor gear, but I've also never considered it before. I'm open to being proved wrong.

Anybody else think it's a vital piece of gear?
    SurvivalCache.com - The Gear Site for Survivalists - Gear Reviews, Prep Ideas, and More

I have one of the small compact umbrellas in my GHB, ive used it a few times for a sun shade.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

I've got one of these:

http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/dai...r-pid1625.html

It's not identical, but the same Idea. The height can be adjusted and it also has a tilt so you can angle it and there are guy ropes to stabilise it as well as pegs to hold the sides down etc.. The groundsheet and sides are optional to use or not.
    I always take it fishing, it works as a sunshade, windbreak, and rain shelter. I've also spent nights in it when weekend fishing. The downside is, it's heavy. I would imagine newer mdels are much lighter now, mine is getting on a bit. I'd like to replace it when funds permit.
    Last edited by Winnie; 04-14-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Adding info
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_SurvivalCache View Post

Anybody else think it's a vital piece of gear?
    I have one in my bob.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Kinda a poncho guy myself, but,
    Have thought about one of these:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3740205

DW bought a few of these;

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...Name=Umbrellas

at a Totes outlet store, for about $5 bucks, carry them in all the vechicals, next to back door etc.

AS. good idea about mounting into hole on walking stick.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Maybe this is Ken ?

The Old Man and The Beaver

A 110-year-old man is having his annual checkup. The doctor asks him how he's feeling.
    "I've never felt better," he replies. I've got an eighteen-year-old bride who's pregnant with my child. What do you think about that?"
    The doctor thinks for a moment and says, "Let me tell you a story. I know a guy who's an avid hunter. He never misses a season but one day he's in a bit of a hurry and accidentally grabs his umbrella instead of his gun. So, he's walking in the woods near a creek and suddenly spots a beaver in some brush in front of him. He raises his umbrella, points it at the beaver, squeezes the handle, and BAM! the beaver drops dead in front of him."
    That's impossible," said the old man in disbelief, "someone else must have shot that beaver!"
    "Exactly", said the doctor.