Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Survival Hoarder?

I just finished watching a documentary about people with hoarding disorders.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

clinically? I can't say about that, but when I'm gathering stuff from nature, I do tend to get more than I need immediately. The difference between hoarding is in letting stuff go. I have about 20 yucca stalks left that I've collected this year. I've given some away and would give most of the rest away too. I do tend to collect more brains than I need and noone wants those so I end up stuck with them. I definately have more local chert than I could use in 6 months If I knapped every day, but isn't it nice to have some on hand when someone else wants to learn?
    clinical hoarder? possibly. Prepared? definately.
    I have no problem giving away or disposing of useless junk though.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

No such thing as useless junk.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not a hoarder. I'm a collector. There's a big difference.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes to what Rick and Crash said. "Stuff" is important to have, now if I could just get my wife on board with that concept
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am a "HOARDER" and damn proud of it.

Ah, the ole Hoard House and Whiskey Emporium.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Ah, the ole Hoard House and Whiskey Emporium.

Yep................

I am a hoarder and proud of it. If we go to the store and find pasta or laundry soap on sale and can spring for it we stock up. I own lots of the same item and it pays off when you damage or lose something you need and don't have to wait to replace it. Some of us live in remote places and don't buy food or supplies for weeks at a time. So if that makes myself and some of the others hoarders then oh well.
    -Sam

I would guess that if you're into survival preparedness, then by definition you'd be a hoarder. The important question is, what kinds of things you hoard.
    I am definitely a hoarder, coming from many generations of hoarders.
    My main reasons:
    -I don't like running out of things I need
    -I hate finding out that the stuff I like is no longer available or has become "new & improved" but in fact is inferior to the original. (huge pet peeve)

Blog Entries

Our pantry in the basement at the new house is almost done. Last night, my sweetie and I discussed where we would put everything. After much gentle persuasion, I convinced her that we needed 50' feet of shelf space for our canned goods. That was quite an accomplishment, since almost everything we normally eat is fresh. We each get 20' for our favorite small appliances and extra pots and pans and stuff that won't fit in the kitchen. The freezers will go in the garage. But that only leaves about 30' for bulk items storage in the pantry.

Pet food and supplies will be kept in a separate storage room. It'll only take up about 100 cubic feet.

I really got screwed on the space I got for my basement workshop. It's a lousy 10' x 18'. Barely enough to hold my workbench and power tools. Looks like all of my spare plywood and lumber is gonna' have to go in the garage until I build a storage shed, which I really need because all of the essential stuff I've collected will fill 2 moving vans. And THAT means that my car may very well see it's first winter ever outdoors - under a car cover, of course.

I could go on, but it's all too painful to discuss.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hoarder?? No sir,not me,if the SHTF,there is nothing to be found where I am,so just scoot along to the next house,all my stuff got stolen along with my gun and ammo......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Hoarder?? No sir,not me,if the SHTF,there is nothing to be found where I am,so just scoot along to the next house,all my stuff got stolen along with my gun and ammo......
    You know, Nell has a good point here. In several books, including the one "One Second After", the series "Jericho", a distrubing theme seems to be that the "authorities" seem to think it is a good idea to seize, or otherwise take the goods etc of those folks who are better prepared than the general populace. Now, I am a fair person generally, but in a survival type situation where I have made preparations and provisions for my family, I will be darned if I would give everything up and put my family on starvation rations for folks that did nothing to help themselves. SO I guess I am hoarder.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I'm not a hoarder, I am an eclectic collector.

The scary part of all this, I heard a physiologist on the radio talking about "hoarding" as a mental disorder needing treatment. How long before they start to diagnose it, and use that diagnosis to deny firearms purchases?
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

A clinical hoarder keeps piles of stuff around for no specific purpose. My friends grandma had a bad case of it. her home was a fire trap and she barely had a path through all the stuff she had.

If you are compiling supplies for a purpose I don't consider that hoarding.
    If you happen to have some extra sugar on hand that is one thing.
    If you are hitting every store in town and buying all the sugar then that is a whole other thing.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

I'm no survival whore!
    I know what hunts you.

The word "hoarding" generally has negative connotations because it's always used in it's extreme context like here:
    http://unclutterer.com/2007/04/26/th...sive-hoarding/

"Well provisioned" in an organized way isn't hoarding.

And this, folks, is why I fit in so perfectly at this forum! My husband accuses me of being a "hoarder" (not a whore, Sarky...he knows he would never survive that one), and even my Mormon friends poke fun at me.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    -I hate finding out that the stuff I like is no longer available or has become "new & improved" but in fact is inferior to the original. (huge pet peeve)
    Oh Wow, do I agree with you on this one!
    I seem to buy everything in at least pairs. I used to call them my battle spares, but now the Wife accepts the excuse of buying extra kit for her.
    I used to test items for years before buying a second, but recently I've found they can change to the new and crappier version in mere months.
    I miss my Canadian made Sorels, and my US made S.O.G. knives.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Hoarding shmoarding. They used to call us pack rats.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel