Thread: Rain Gear

Default Rain Gear

Recommendation for durable stuff?
    Last edited by sjj; 03-24-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Ah - you're in Alaska. See, we would have known that if you would have gone here and done a proper introduction. There are quite a few Alaska folks onboard that can probably offer up what works for them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The best piece of gear for me is a wide breamed hat. It keeps the rain off my face and from running down my collar.

I'll second that on the wide brim hat! But I will add I wear a "cowboy umbrella" over a straw cowboy hat. Basically it looks like a plastic bag fitted for the hat. I've tried all kinds of raingear as I never was one to let rain keep me indoors. Frogtoggs are good for humid weather like we have down south. I like the good ole' yellow suits for industrial use in the winter. However no matter what you use the "cowboy umbrella" is the only way to fly when stayin' dry!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have had very good luck with GI issue Gortex. Not quiet in the woods, but works very well to keep you dry. I have one jacket that I had a liner sewn into in Korea. Very warm and still keeps me dry. My two sets have held up to more deployments and hunting seasons than I really want to count. Even held up to the last 4 hunting seasons in NW Blackberries.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I second military goretex

mischief

sounds like to me you answerd your own ?
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

hey sjj,
    have you worn the stuff yet? i am very interested to know if it makes rustling noise or if it is quiet when you move around in it.
    also how heavy is it.

let me know.
    my primitive skills apprenticeship blog:
    http://modern-natural.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    See LINK below.

I spent considerable time reading hard core reviews on hunting rainsuits and went to all the local sporting good stores to see what they have, feel the weight and materials, and try on for size. I was very favorably impressed with the Helly Hansen Impervetech II stuff. Anything in its league is way more expensive and the majority of Alaska hunting forums highly recommended it. I was not able to find my size locally and went to the internet to find best price/shipping. I've copied a link below to Sportsmanguide where I found the Helly Hansen II in my size and for "less" than 1/2 cost I could find anywhere else. Shipping was very reasonable. Now, I must profess that the price was so low I agonized over whether or not what I bought was indeed the latest gear and quality. After closely reading the fine print and comparing pictures of the product closely with Helly Hansen's website, I believe it is indeed the same product and will let folks know if otherwise after I receive the rainsuits. Yes, I bought two tops and two bibs in dark green. I also grabbed another pair of their Guidegear Poly long underwear. Its good thick stuff and about 1/2 what I have to pay for comparable long underwear. I understand that poly underwear is not the latest craze - but it has worked for me for many years and I love it.

So - I promise that my "hoarding" survival gear will stop after this purchase !!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...8&kwtid=307616

You won't regret the purchase. Helly Hansen is great gear!

I may hold the record for purchases at their Newport, R.I. store.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark