Thread: have any homemade deer scent thoughts?

Default have any homemade deer scent thoughts?

ive never really used deer scents.
    ive read that some of the store bought types even spook the deer.
    i dont know if thats true or not but its kept me away from them.

does anybody have any proven homemade types of deer lure scents?

Tarsal Glands..... Down south we cut the tarsal glands from a buck in rut, then hang near a scrape.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I've been given this advise by my deer hunting mentor.
    "When ya start messin around with scents you better know what your doing. Doe in heat a week early will spook em. Your best cover scent is the dirt where you are hunting, dig your hands into the dirt they already know and rub yourself down."
    The trick I accidentally learned this Bow season.... I stepped in deer scat on my way to my stand. Didn't realize what I stepped in untill seated 12' in the air.
    Man, they just kept coming. I dropped a big Doe, then 5 minutes later a six point followed her path to my stand. I couldn't get out of my stand fast enough before two more wandered my way. All this in the first hour out.
    I guess Stepping in S**t has it's advantages.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Banned

You can make your own "doe in heat" lure with your own urine and estregen pills that post menopausal women take. Urine is urine no mater what animal it comes from. The female hormone added is the same in all female mammals.
    Tarsal glands only attract dominate bucks and scare off lesser bucks. If the Alpha buck in your area has already been killed you'll only scare off any other bucks.
    For a cover scent gather up some of the leaf litter from the exact spot your stand is in as well as some bark from a tree or some other plants growing there. Now steep them in hot water or hot oil for a day or 12. Strain and put in a spray bottle and you have "woods in a bottle scent."If you hunt in the pines you can use turpentine. I don't think much of cover scents though.
    You can also take pure(real) vanilla extract by itself or mix with organic peanut butter for an attracatant(where legal).

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have used urine straight from a doe into a bottle and put that near scrapes, though I can't say I had any results. I've used the tarsals to attract bucks. best cover scent I've used is pine needle tea. any fresh woods that are in the area you are hunting (i.e. fire cherry) can be shaved and used on the spot as a boot rub. mostly you wanna stick with things that are in the area.