Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Knife Making Class

nice man very cool.

i love shop set ups like that where everything is right on the edge of breaking down in to total chaos but stays put together in some form of organization that only the proprietor can fully understand. awesome.
    my primitive skills apprenticeship blog:
    http://modern-natural.blogspot.com/

I swear if I had a set up like that and it caught fire I'd just sit in the middle and go up with it. I'd be too heart broken to stand outside and watch it burn.

Crash, I'll bet you needed a cigarette when you left there.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I swear if I had a set up like that and it caught fire I'd just sit in the middle and go up with it. I'd be too heart broken to stand outside and watch it burn.

Crash, I'll bet you needed a cigarette when you left there.
    i'm with you there.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Beautiful knife Crash. You're a lucky man! When are you going back?
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Sometime soon. It has put my knife making projects on hold for the time being. Gotta make room for a grinder in my small shop (there's always room for a good too right?), talk Mrs. Crash into letting me spend the $$$, and then order one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

What kind of grinder did you decide on Crash?
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

While a KMG, Bader or Wilton would be nice, they are not in the budget. I'll probably go with the Grizzly and add the 10" wheel to get the grinding surface out a little from the motor. http://grizzly.com/products/Knife-Be...r-Buffer/G1015
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

My Craftsman is 3000rpms That one is 1750. I think it would work awesome. Mine is way fast and can screw up a blade quick if you are not careful. I really need to upgrade.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Everything I read says go with variable speed and this and that - just not in the budget, so this will have to do. I helped a guy set up his last week and one of the more experienced makers took a piece of D2 stock - profiled and did a hollow grind in a couple of minutes. Of course this guy could probably use jewelers files to make a knife too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, you can do a lot of jobs more quickly or easily with fancier tools, but a good craftsman can find ways to make do.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    My Craftsman is 3000rpms That one is 1750. I think it would work awesome. Mine is way fast and can screw up a blade quick if you are not careful. I really need to upgrade.
    Would a rotary switch for varying the speed work?

Blog Entries

I thought of that but was advised not to. I don't remember the reason, I think cause it had a low hp motor and it would become even weaker so when you apply pressure it bogs down.
    -Frank

Yep, from what all the guys and gals that seem to know what they are doing, they say that even a 1hp motor with a variable speed option is too small. They suggest 1.5hp to 3hp for that or different sized pulleys.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel