Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    I ALWAYS carry a good knife on me if I'm out bush/desert so I guess I'd have that in hand to try and do battle if I had no alternative.
    I like this guy. Doing battle with a bear with his knife would take serious guts.

owl girl offence taken ......

i have raised orphaned moose in ontario for the last ten yrs.

anyhow the only time that a moose is going to charge at you is during the rut, any other time they do not want much to do with us,secondly bear attacks are rare, not before everyone starts chastizing me, look at the facts.
    as far as what to do when a bear charges at you, most of the time it is a bluff charge,stand your ground if on the rare occassion it is a predatory attack fight back. now i am speaking about my experinces with black bears,from my understanding a grzzly cannot climb a tree (only the youngins) so that might be a possible choice.

always be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    owl girl offence taken ......

i have raised orphaned moose in ontario for the last ten yrs.

anyhow the only time that a moose is going to charge at you is during the rut, any other time they do not want much to do with us,secondly bear attacks are rare, not before everyone starts chastizing me, look at the facts.
    as far as what to do when a bear charges at you, most of the time it is a bluff charge,stand your ground if on the rare occassion it is a predatory attack fight back. now i am speaking about my experinces with black bears,from my understanding a grzzly cannot climb a tree (only the youngins) so that might be a possible choice.

always be prepared
    Did you even read my full post? I now all that stuff about bears, adult grizzly bears can’t climb trees but sometimes they can push them down. How much do you know about Anchorage AK? Like I said in my other post the moose were normally pretty peaceful. They come into the city willingly and they do not avoid people. Though I know in most places they avoid people but in Anchorage they don’t. Everything I said about moose I said from experience. Once my mom had her hed out the window filming a moose that was in front of her when a moose behind he walked up stuck his head in the window and started sniffing her, and we got it on film. Another time my mom was trying to get a kid that she baby-sat on the school bus but every time she opened the door this young moose would charge, and he guarded the door waiting for her to open it agene so he could charge. Finally someone with a truck pushed the moose away by pushing it with his truck. Look this is Anchorage
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    this is moose in Anchorage, there not lost or frightened, that’s just were they live.
    I have a lot experience with adult wild moose. I know what I’m talking about, but I don’t know why your offended if you read my full post. What info did I give about moose that you didn’t like?

Default amazing

I wrote a long reply to this once and I don't know what the heck happened when I submitted it. But OK, the original question involved a moose. Moose charging people is very rare, if it happens, I'd like to see the person that's going to stand there and shoot,---there aren't many, even if you're sitting there saying "Oh yeah, I would," being there is a little different than sipping coffee and chatting about it on the 'net. It's not likey when 1500-2000 pounds of p-o'd is knocking down trees without hesitation to get at you. YOu're more likely to break your neck sliding around in your own crap trying to get away. Get out of his path, period. If you think you're going to poke him in the eye with a sharp stick, they can put on your headstone what a stupid idea your last one was. Bear attacks usually only happen if the bear has been startled and that's avoidable, for the most part. Of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part, wild animals prefer to avoid us, unless you're in Anchorage apparently (awesome photos owl girl)

I've shot and trapped wolverines. I think they're myth is a lot bigger and tougher than they are, but they are incredibly nasty. Mean dispositions. The Cree call them little devils. I saw a documentary one time a few years ago where a wolverine beat up two coyotes and took away an elk carcass and then a big griz came along and did the same thing to the wolverine. What a fight! The bear eventually won, but that wolverine kept coming back for more. Still, for the most part, they are definitely killable. But, hey, even a lynx will drop on you if they think you've provoked them, so....go figure.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Thanks but I got them off google, just type Anchorage moose in the google search. When I lived there I saw stuff like that all the time. Even got some funny videos of my cat playing with the moose though the moose wasn’t playing, he was annoyed. But yah keep your doors shut or you might let the moose in lol

If a moose charges dodge behind a tree and get out of there field of vision if you can and you might have a chance. I was charged once, I dodged behind a house, I was lucky. I wrote the story in the Scariest moment? thread.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 07-25-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Default exactly

Getting out of their field of vision is exactly right. They charge fast but seldom turn and when they do, awkwardly. I'm not sure where our other Manitoban colleague, Marcraft, is from, but you might enjoy talking with people from Churchill. They often have polar bears wandering the streets.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I like this guy. Doing battle with a bear with his knife would take serious guts.

I'd TRY to do battle
    Crazy things have happened. Animals don't like eating things that fight back.

owl girl

yes i read your entire post.. my ofeense came from the fact the you made a statement claiming that you knew more about moose than anyone else on the forum which in my mind is a grandiose claim since this is the world wide web my question to you is just because you grew up in moose country and had some exposure to them what makes you qualified to make that claim. i raise orphaned moose and bear cubs isleep with moose out in our contained swamp on a nightly basis and still have much to learn about their behaviors

now this might seem petty and i do not want to offend you but my pet peeve is reading info that people offer in these forums that to me seems to lack tried and true testing now in your case i understand that you have had the exposure and experience but the claim to knowing more than anyone else in this forum offended me

Blog Entries

Wink Calling all Moose experts!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    owl girl

yes i read your entire post.. my ofeense came from the fact the you made a statement claiming that you knew more about moose than anyone else on the forum which in my mind is a grandiose claim since this is the world wide web my question to you is just because you grew up in moose country and had some exposure to them what makes you qualified to make that claim. i raise orphaned moose and bear cubs isleep with moose out in our contained swamp on a nightly basis and still have much to learn about their behaviors

now this might seem petty and i do not want to offend you but my pet peeve is reading info that people offer in these forums that to me seems to lack tried and true testing now in your case i understand that you have had the exposure and experience but the claim to knowing more than anyone else in this forum offended me
    So okay, what can either of you guys tell me about Bullwinkle, is he and Rocky really an item? ;>)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

last thing i heard is that rocky is still not returning bullwinkles calls his fur has been ruffled because bullwinkle got more attention from the show but agents for both parties are trying to reconsile for a reunion tour if rocky can get out of rehab soon enough

I made that claim because not many people have that type of exposure to moose. However my statement wasn’t that I know more about moose, as I don’t know much about there biology and stuff like that, but that I know about living with moose. I didn’t mean to sound cocky, but the probabilities seemed unlikely sense not many people live with moose. I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    I'd TRY to do battle
    Crazy things have happened. Animals don't like eating things that fight back.
    I'd TRY and escape! As fun as battle sounds (charging something that weighs 5-10X my weight swinging my knife, hatchet, or machete) it probably isn't the thing for me. The screaming you would hear if this happened probably would SOUND like a battle cry but I'm not attacking it first.

There is a simple approach to this problem. Carry several metal and sharp injection darts with a small bottle of poison. Keep it in your breast pocket or jacket pocket for quick access. (Instead of having to dip them in poison, you can spend more money and get ready to throw/shoot darts) Get really strong poison that'll take out the animal in one maybe two hits. Oh, and the best way to do this isn't to run and toss it at it while running. Stop where you are, and if the animal is just charging at you, then the chances it'll stop are kinda slim, but it might. Talk to it softly because this soothes its nerves (most animals, usually moose, i dunno about bears) and move slowly to get out the darts. This has helped me before with an alligator.
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    There is a simple approach to this problem. Carry several metal and sharp injection darts with a small bottle of poison. Keep it in your breast pocket or jacket pocket for quick access. (Instead of having to dip them in poison, you can spend more money and get ready to throw/shoot darts) Get really strong poison that'll take out the animal in one maybe two hits. Oh, and the best way to do this isn't to run and toss it at it while running. Stop where you are, and if the animal is just charging at you, then the chances it'll stop are kinda slim, but it might. Talk to it softly because this soothes its nerves (most animals, usually moose, i dunno about bears) and move slowly to get out the darts. This has helped me before with an alligator.
    You are ****in me, right?

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Most animals will stay out of your way most of the time. I carry pepper spray for bears (yes it works). Not much moose here in California or my original southern New England

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    I think you got that backwards, stand your ground with bears because its often a false charge and if you run you could trigger there predatory instincts, don’t stand your ground with moose, there not likely to false charge, if its charging you its likely because you are to close so it fixes this problem by killing you. If you just stand there and don’t leave all the more reason to kill you. Talking to it probably won’t slow it down and if its determined you wont have time to grab a dart, it’ll be over so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fog_Harbor View Post
    Most animals will stay out of your way most of the time. I carry pepper spray for bears (yes it works). Not much moose here in California or my original southern New England
    Yah I hear that stuff works good, so long as its that pepper spray thats specifically designed for bears, its more potent and can spray farther then pepper spray for people. Though sometimes people pepper spray can work, its often not strong enough.

I like the pepper spray idea, it seems you could use it on anything that would charge. once you hit them with it they can't see so you could just walk away if they don't madly run off.

What an absolute ****ing nutbar!!!