Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pointy thingies!

So far I've only found two uses for serrated knives, and in these two cases they do excel.

1. Cutting hemp type rope.
    2. During field dressing, separating ribs from a breastbone on a deer.

For these two reasons I carry a fully serrated folder. I don't use it for anything else because it's a PITA to sharpen.

Saws are for wood.

When it comes to pointy knives, I like a point on my folder. Handy for a lot of detail work.
    I do prefer more "belly" on my larger knives and would sacrifice the point for a rounder tip. Most of the time, I find you are working with either the belly of the edge or the first 2-3" of the blade, so that point is hanging out there for you to keep track of.
    If we are talking tactical use knives, that would be a whole 'nother discussion. I'm a slicer, not a poker.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had a few store bought knives with serrations... always seem to give them away around christmas to someone else. I dont care for them.
    Points are good when doing some detail work, but only with smaller knives, like my old timer skinner or my triple blade Kabar bull neuter-er (my grandad worked for a cattle farm for a while)
    I prefer drop point myself. less pointy and still works great for skinning.
    just my 2 cents.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Request for Pics

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?
    Got a couple posted "Knives made for Grandson" by me. Don't know how to move those pics over here. See if you can get there using search. Sorry, I can't drive this computer any better.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-30-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I like a point and thin blade for filetting fish. I use my pointy knives to pry, screw, drill, etc. and they all end up being non-pointy knives. Snap!

I hate serrated knives!

[QUOTE=Ole WV Coot;165078]
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?

Got a couple posted "Knives made for Grandson" by me. Don't know how to move those pics over here. See if you can get there using search. Sorry, I can't drive this computer any better.
    Here ya go. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=3434
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

This was my third or fourth knife. It was a nessie of sorts. A buddy of mine still uses it. He says he loves the shape and that it is very handy. Not as nice as coot's but still works.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Thanks Rick & Crash. I need all the help I can get and appreciate it. CS hope that gives you the shape I like.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Yeah it did help Coot! Looks like a good one for me to cut my teeth on....I think I'll give hammering it out on the forge a go....all this grinding and filing is getting old... I'll post it when I get started!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Cowboy - we've been going about it all wrong. Look at what the proper tools can do for you. Check out the two demonstration videos. http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Cowboy - we've been going about it all wrong. Look at what the proper tools can do for you. Check out the two demonstration videos. http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html
    Now that is real nice. I "steel" want to make one with the hammer and of course you still have some stock removal either way. Looked like I could build a setup like that if I could find the time...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

There is actually something to be said for a dull point knife. When dressing a deer you need a good edge, but you never really use the point other than on the anus, to start the cut. A sharp pointed knife is a liability there... it could puncture an organ... and yes I know it won't if you're good, but still. I use a dull (filed down) pointed mora to dress deer, it's just easier that way.

That knife is dedicated to the task though, if I had to take one blade for everything I wouldn't take it.