Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointy thingies!

Default Pointy thingies!

I want to get you guys opinions.....I have decided I don't like extremely pointed knife blades. I am considering "rounding" the point on a few of mine. Why? I just don't like a knife that is really really pointed. While we are at it, I would also ask what in the world are serrations for? I have never liked them either.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I want to get you guys opinions.....I have decided I don't like extremely pointed knife blades. I am considering "rounding" the point on a few of mine. Why? I just don't like a knife that is really really pointed. While we are at it, I would also ask what in the world are serrations for? I have never liked them either.
    I think serrations, are for people, like me, who can't sharpen knives very well. With serrations, even when the knife gets dull....you can still use it like a saw. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Ok a saw that gets in the way most times you use your knife that is a valid point 2Dumb.....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Ok a saw that gets in the way most times you use your knife that is a valid point 2Dumb.....
    Hey.....some knives have a friggin' corkscrew in the way. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Your supposed to take the corkscrew off of the blade after opening the bottle. I left you a funny on the "joke of the day thread" LOL

I would also ask what in the world are serrations for?
    bread, and naught else. serration is for saws.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    bread, and naught else. serration is for saws.
    OK so far we have 2 that dislike serrated blades and one with a corkscrew stuck on his blade!

Great for steaks. Maybe rope. Oh, I know, marketing gimmick. A straight blade with do everything a serrated one will. Can't say the reverse is true.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK please provide feedback about the point on your goto knife....Me I think a blade that is really pointed will come through a sheath quick in a fall off my horse. Also it just makes me slow, say if I were to do some bushwork, I am used to being able to support the knife by the blade end and the handle to do some tasks. Oh and my Mora has recently put 2 little pointy thingy holes in my hand. Not badly cut or rather stuck, I did it working on the sheath. I got to weighing it out...Why does it need to be so pointed. One reason I could come up with is drilling. That's it... the only reason. Someone convince me not to take the tip off of my knife...I dare you!

It's probably just me but if the blade keeps poking you chances are good you're holding it by the wrong end. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You know it could be I always play with bigger knives...Might take some getting used to. Seriously though give me reason for it not to be rounded on the end. Not complaining about the knife, just talkin' knives in general. When I weigh it out I just think a knife is better handled with a rounded point, mind you it isn't a dull point.

That 780 is just the right size to make "stuff" with. That point can be used to help you make triggers for snares/traps, make a flute or whistle, poke a few holes in your tater when you bake it, slip inside a tuff knot to cut it lose, make holes in leather, canvass or rubber, and just to keep you on your toes.

Rick,

Your right! Good argument I will give it some "Boots in the Field time" before I make any rash decisions! I hit this thing on a "Blue Arkansas" and I guess I am very respectful of it now! Healing fine though!

You can always take the point off. A bit tougher to put it on. But I do have faith if anyone can do it, you can.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I carried a pointy one in the '60s plus a K-Bar. The pointy one was an EK edge & 1/2 and the K-Bar was used much more. I find no use for serrations except on a bread knife. The pointy one was strictly a "fighter" so I would like to see one of you guys that does good work make my favorite Nessmuk style blade, gonna convert someone to the blade that just is made for cutting, skinning & slicing not a hatchet or fighter, just a good knife.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Coot, I don't think it's gonna take much arm twistin' around here. Lots of folks like your knives!!!

point or not still dangerous
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I carried a pointy one in the '60s plus a K-Bar. The pointy one was an EK edge & 1/2 and the K-Bar was used much more. I find no use for serrations except on a bread knife. The pointy one was strictly a "fighter" so I would like to see one of you guys that does good work make my favorite Nessmuk style blade, gonna convert someone to the blade that just is made for cutting, skinning & slicing not a hatchet or fighter, just a good knife.
    I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 10-29-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Yeah CS it sounds like a Nessmuk is what you are looking for I think I have a couple of pics from "cruising Knife sites". Here are 4 different versions of a Nessmuk pattern and one of the backside of a sheath that I thought was really cool for a Nessmuk. But it may give you ideas on a sheath pattern for it.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 01-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I am not really a fan of serrations. They are supposedly good for cutting seat belt straps, rope, etc.... A plan edge could do all that and make thin fuzz sticks too. They have their place, but I just never needed one. As for pointy knives. They love to get broken off. I am beginning to like sheepsfoot blades like on a Case stockman. It has a sharp corner but plenty of steel behind it to give the pointy edge strength. My Spydero native has a pointy edge. I am just careful not twist or bend when de-animating zombies. The tip might snap. Now if the tip has plenty of steel behind it and is not super thin then it should work good. I like the tips on the RC3-4-5 it is a good tough point.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!