Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter pasttime?

Last winter I spent some time in the mountains hunting coyotes and cougar. I learned that if you set a wall tent up on packed snow/ice that the wood stove will be closer to the ground in the morning(about 8inches closer) and create a fine lake by the end of the weekend. I also did some sledding, actually I rode a skedco (flexible army litter) with all my gear down the mountain cuz I was to lazy to walk.
    This winter I will spend much of my time inventing new ways to remove mud from my boots. The winters in Iraq are plagued with mud since it doesn't freeze here.
    Next year I have planned to attend a winter mountaineering course with some buddies and then I am going to tackle the summit of Mt. Rainier.

I would encourage you to read some winter survival books, I'm sure someone here has a link. Then go out in the backyard and try something new. I have learned so much in life by reading and then doing and then doing it again until I mastered it. Good Luck.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    This winter I will spend much of my time inventing new ways to remove mud from my boots. The winters in Iraq are plagued with mud since it doesn't freeze here.

Yeah, but at least it is cool enough to be comfortable wearing your flack jacket and kevlar ( as opposed to summer time).
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Not a military man myself, I would imagine it is never a comfortable thing to wear a flak jacket. But the free world thanks you for enduring it no matter what the temperature is.

Who would have thought that a stove would melt snow? We've all learned the obvious by doing the dumb. It's just part of our genetic make up I think.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.