Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Hunting

Default Crossbow Hunting

My state allows crossbow hunting for deer in the late archery season. I'm considering getting one. According to DNR it must have a 125 lb. pull and a mechanical safety.

I don't bow hunt and know nadda about bows of any type. As far as I can tell there is not a great deal of difference between a compound bow and crossbow except the crossbow holds the draw and, of course, the size of the bolt. But that aside, any suggestions on a good crossbow? My research says Excalibur is one of the better brand names but land-o-goshen they are expensive.

Any other suggestions on a balanced cost vs. performance crossbow?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Did you really say land-o-goshen? I don't know diddly about crossbows, I've heard Excalibur's the big name, but I'm pretty sure you oughtta go slap yourself for sayin' land-o-goshen.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

get as close to 300 fps as possible. I would go with 150 lb draw. I'm not much of an archer, and don't own a crossbow but the fella teachin me to shoot my recurve has an excalibur and a ten point. very high end crossbows.
    Hoyt makes good entry level crossbows, but still, they are all too expensive for my blood. PSE also makes good equipment of any kind. either of these should be durable and reliable and as close to balanced price as I would recommend.
    here, a crossbow is considered archery equipment and you can hunt with it from archery season right through the end of deer rifle season in mid January.

Barnett makes a good line in lots of sizes. Years ago I bought an Imp, very small, for fun. It can take small game.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

Crossbows are for weak men that can't or are too lazy for real bows, Compound, Recurve, or Longbows.
    Just my opinion, might as well use a rifle.
    Beo,

Oh and trax is right, wth is Land-o-goshen even in your vocabulary for?
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

And muzzle loaders are for guys that can't figure out the complexities of modern thingies. Now, about that "kilt"......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Harder to muzzleloader hunt (especially flintlock) than modern rifles, and real men wear kilts, Rick I am secure in my manhood... somewhat. Lol.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

What was that about - securing your manhood? How DO you do that with kilts? I never looked.

Blog Entries

Grab your nuggets and make sure their still hanging around.

I'll bet that was the second thing you did after getting shot in the arse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hunt with a compound bow.. Crossbows are illegal in Mass. Unless u are permanently handicapped.. My dad is, and he hunts with a crossbow... He has owned a few and told me the best was, by far, ten point.. Pricey but worth it!.. Excalibur a good brand too but his preference was Ten Point... Like anything... U get what you pay for.. Worth the extra coin for the quality in my opinion.
    As for them being the same... Absolutely not!! Crossbows shoot much much faster than compounds and with more power!... A "strong" pullback with a compound bow is in the 70 lb. Range... Its much easier to "get good" with a crossbow than a compound with a lot less practice.. Line up the crosshairs and pull the trigger.. Also the "arrows" shot opt of a crossbow are call "bolts" and are much shorter than traditional arrows..
    If I could legally hunt with one ,without permanently maiming myself, I would buy a crossbow in a second... I have lot of fun just target shooting it with my dad... Yea expensive... But isn't everything that's really worth it?
    I say go for it!.... And happy hunting!
    Last edited by NightShade; 10-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    As for them being the same... Absolutely not!! Crossbows shoot much much faster than compounds and with more power!... A "strong" pullback with a compound bow is in the 70 lb. Range... Its much easier to "get good" with a crossbow than a compound with a lot less practice.. Line up the crosshairs and pull the trigger.. Also the "arrows" shot opt of a crossbow are call "bolts" and are much shorter than traditional arrows..
    Hate my first post to be like this but i do not like mis-information given as fact.

A FAIR COMPARISON: Regarding range and accuracy, the modern crossbow is actually more similar to the modern high-performance compound bow. Take a look at a popular 175# crossbow (Horton Legend HD) vs. a 70# top-of-the-line compound bow (Bowtech Allegiance).

Crossbow
    Arrow Mass: 420 Grains
    Max Speed: 305fps ENERGY OUTPUT

KE = mv²/450240
    KE = (420)(305²)/450240
    KE = 39070500/450240

KE = 86.78 ft-lbs. Arrow Mass: 350 Grains
    Max Speed: 335fps
    ENERGY OUTPUT

KE = mv²/450240
    KE = (350)(335²)/450240
    KE = 39278750/450240

KE = 87.24 ft-lbs. Compound Bow

As you can see, the outputs of these two weapons are similar. Of course, not many compound bows are as fast as the Bowtech Allegiance, and some crossbows are even faster than the Horton Legend HD175. Yet the point remains the same, a crossbow's output is much closer to that of a modern compound bow than it is to any type of gun.

I hunt with a Compound Bow by the way.

Hey Bushmeat - how about hunting your way over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hey Bushmeat - how about hunting your way over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Yea Sorry, got caught up, have a go at that.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9199

I've had my right shoulder rebuilt three times and I just don't think I can handle a long bow or a compound. That's why I chose to go with the crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've had my right shoulder rebuilt three times and I just don't think I can handle a long bow or a compound. That's why I chose to go with the crossbow.
    Same here (exactly) and my left is going. You have to adapt to your capabilities, e.g. 870 pistol grip.

you can see, the outputs of these two similar. Of course, not many compound bows are as fast as the Bowtech Allegiance, and some crossbows are even faster than the Horton Legend HD175. Yet the point remains the same, a crossbow's output is much closer to that of a modern compound bow than it is to any type of gun.

I hunt with a Compound Bow by the way.[/QUOTE]

Bushmeat.. My apologies if I gave the impression that crossbows are closer to guns.. Not my intent! Just trying to highlight the differences betwee bows.. As a fellow compound bow hunter I think you'd have to admit there is a huge difference between the two styles!
    I think your comparison of bows is a bit unfair with all due respect... You yourself admit to comparing top of the line compound bow to a "popular" crossbow.. If u were to compare average compound to average crossbow... Or top of the lin crossbow to top of the line compound the difference will be much more apparent..
    And quite frankly it IS much easier to shoot more accurate with less practice using a crossbow.. Imagine never shooting a bow before.. U have a compound andacrosbow.. Which one will hit the target first?.. Simply put a compound bow takes more skill to shoot! I believe any archer who has shot both types would agree!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Thumbs up

Bushmeat is right I like to put it in layman's terms though.

A compound shoots a longer, heavier 'arrow' (bolts were metal darts used in Medieval times) and has a longer power stroke. My Excalibur 175 Phoenix kicks an arrow out approximately 305 FPS. With a short power stroke about 15 or 16 inches.

But because it's lighter than an arrow from a modern compound's arrow kicking out at a slightly slower speed will have more energy.

Night shade is right if you can shoot a rifle it's easy to learn to be accurate with a compound the only difference is a longer follow through is needed. But it is still an arrow flinging contraption you still have to thread that sharp stick thropugh the brush and all! Nothing like a firearm.

Rick if you are still in the market let me know I have the number of a guy in Ohio he's got the best deal on Excalibur's. I bought mine from him it wasn't cheap but he set it up for me all I had to do was put two bolts in that held the bow limbs on the stock. And he had the best price I could find.

He even sighted it in for me of course I had to tweak it a little but it came capable of hitting a 3" dot at 25 yards.

~HF~
    Last edited by Huntinfool; 11-06-2009 at 02:51 AM.

That's a very generous offer. The Excaliburs are a bit out of my price range right now. I'm not certain I will enjoy using it and I hate to drop that kind of money on something I might not use. I think I need to play with one first. BUT!! I will keep this in mind and thanks!!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looked like a good place to pose this question. A fella offered to sell me a Barnett Demon crossbow for 100 bucks. Everything I've read on it says (to me) that it's a toy. Anyone have experience with this little plastic stabbie chucker? Is a used one worth 100 bucks tricked out with cocking kit, sights, bolts, etc?
    When I was in the market for a crossbow, I was wanting something a little more than entry level. Since then I got a recurve and I'm really not AS interested as I was.
    Thanks