Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canteen cups

Default Canteen cups

I was wondering if any of you knew how many fluid oz. the canteen cup holds. Do you think it would be enough if I had utensils, a plate, and the canteen cup for my cook set?

You know I actually measured that some time back. I'm pretty certain it was 2 cups of liquid so that would equate to 16 ounces. I also measured a canteen cap and if I remember correctly it was one tablespoon.

You can easily check it with a measuring cup. 8 ounces of liquid is one cup of liquid.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Chrs - as Rick said, two cups is pretty standard. As far as that, utensils and a plate - it all depends on your comfort level using those items. Practice in your back yard, find out what works best for you for the type of food you will be cooking. You may even find out that you don't need the plate (or maybe you need more stuff).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What you need depends entirely on what you plan to do. More info would help with a better answer.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

All right, What I do right now is backyard camp(my yard is woodsy) because its cold and nobody in my family will brave the cold except for me. I think it'd be nice to have a cup to cook stuff in because one of my favorite parts about camping is cooking(other part is bushcraft). In the summer I go camping with my older brother and my dad at my uncles 80 acre lot and we usually spend about 4 days there. The cup would be for me to use, I like to go off on my when I'm there.

Since the canteen cup is the same size of the Nalgene nesting cup, I think that I'll go for the Nalgene cup because it doesn't have a odd shape like the canteen cup. I've also looked at the sierra cups and I saw one that holds 16oz., this ones kind of like a plate/bowl, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html

Which shape would you prefer?
    here's my order,
    1.sierra
    2.nalgene
    3.canteen
    Last edited by Chrs; 10-27-2009 at 08:29 PM.

The neat thing about cooking while out camping is trying new ideas (except for bacon - there is nothing new about bacon and it should be eaten every day), but I digress... Experiment - find out what you like the best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think that's outstanding. Not only will it give the chance to try out your hand at cooking but also at firemaking. There are a lot of ways you can go and you'll probably change what you use a time or three before you find out what works for you.

You might also look at the Olicamp Space Saver. It's the same thing as the Nalgene.

Don't forget that once you take that cup off hot coals it's going to be hot. Putting it to your lips will become an abject lesson in blistered lips. Since you plan to cook over a fire make certain you buy a single walled cup. A double walled cup with explode a seam once it heats up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You need a plate........ why???
    I know what hunts you.

Covers that big open spot in the back of my head.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I need a plate if I want more than one entree

Just use a banana leaf. Oh wait - you're in Minnesota - never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry, I guess when I ask for more info, I should follow my own advice and give more info on the type of info I am asking for.

What I meant to ask was what type of cooking, and what type of food? If you are doing it to practice bushcraft then you probably should limit yourself to a pot and one utensil.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Or make your own utensils. It's really not that difficult to make chop sticks, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or make your own utensils. It's really not that difficult to make chop sticks, for example.
    Yeah. Of coarse , I'd have to make about four of them, with pointy ends, and tie them together, to be able to eat with them!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, Chrs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrs View Post
    All right, What I do right now is backyard camp(my yard is woodsy) because its cold and nobody in my family will brave the cold except for me. I think it'd be nice to have a cup to cook stuff in because one of my favorite parts about camping is cooking(other part is bushcraft). In the summer I go camping with my older brother and my dad at my uncles 80 acre lot and we usually spend about 4 days there. The cup would be for me to use, I like to go off on my when I'm there.

Since the canteen cup is the same size of the Nalgene nesting cup, I think that I'll go for the Nalgene cup because it doesn't have a odd shape like the canteen cup. I've also looked at the sierra cups and I saw one that holds 16oz., this ones kind of like a plate/bowl, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html

Which shape would you prefer?
    here's my order,
    1.sierra
    2.nalgene
    3.canteen
    Why ask us? If you're camping out in your back yard then take everything with you and see for yourself what you like best! What I use is completely different than what you might wind up using.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

FinallyME- I'll probably use it for things like hot drinks, Asian ramen(yes, Asian), those boxed noodle meals and dry rice mixes. maybe making eggs, bacon, potatoes. I'll be using a homemade alcohol stove. That's about all I know how to cook and will cook.

Sarge-I just need to know since I can only get one cup(I have no allowance and need to do odd jobs for it)

Rick- I Made a spoon last night and I'm starting on a small cup/bowl and a fork. Don't really need to make chopsticks since I'm half Taiwanese and probably have over 40 sets of them, lol.
    Last edited by Chrs; 10-28-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrs View Post
    Sarge-I just need to know since I can only get one cup(I have no allowance and need to do odd jobs for it)
    I understand what you're saying, however you can also use stuff you find at yard sales to help you out. I once bought a complete MSR Cooking kit, complete with carry bag for $5! Another thing, don't run out & buy from the 1st place online that you find. Google the name of the item & start checking out sites; many times you will be surprised at the price differences. Also try cooking with tin cans, you'll have a lot of fun making your own kit. Finally, don't rule out using household items. A small household pot with a lid can work just as well as an expensive Backpacking one from a name brand company. My favorite pan of choice is a heavy cast iron skillet. I also have a large Peak One cook set made by Coleman, among other things. You have something available to you that a lot of us don't have, a great "outdoor laboratory where you can conduct your own "experiments!" You're right next to home if anything "goes South," & that means that you have "control" over your situation. BTW, Have you ever been involved in Boy Scouts? They can help you out a lot better than us since they would be hands on!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Yard Sale deals!

Okay, here's some of the stuff I got at yard sales:

MSR cook-kit; 2 pots, lid/skillet, small knife & fork, pot handler, carry-bag, (partially mesh.) $5.

Coleman single burner propane mountaineering stove, used very little/like new; complete in box with instructions. It has a hose to distance the burner from propane cartridge, which, BTW, a fuel cartridge was included with it. $3

2 brand new hard plastic Nalgene wide mouth, 1 quart water bottles, one for $3, the 2nd I found for $.50.

Small Jansport Daypack, $1.

Like I say, look around!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

A mess kit

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

and a spoon-fork combo

and your knife

That is all you can ever need for cooking and eating.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

NCO - I was going to edit your post and replace the knife picture with this

but I just couldn't do it. I must be getting soft in my old age.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel