Thread: There I Fixed It

Default There I Fixed It

Many fascinating ways to fix life's problems have been compiled in one easy to scroll website.

http://thereifixedit.com/

What's the most extreme thing you have done to make something work better or fix it?

Last fall I cracked my power steering pump cooler. I fixed it with 2 hose clamps, a 10mm deep well, and chain saw bar oil. It not only got me off the mountain but I finished my trip and drove home without an issue.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    Many fascinating ways to fix life's problems have been compiled in one easy to scroll website.

http://thereifixedit.com/

What's the most extreme thing you have done to make something work better or fix it?

Last fall I cracked my power steering pump cooler. I fixed it with 2 hose clamps, a 10mm deep well, and chain saw bar oil. It not only got me off the mountain but I finished my trip and drove home without an issue.
    Got divorced from a pyscho...that solved all my problems. But seriously we redneck engineered tons of stuff at the sawmill to make our lives a bit easier. While deployed we did things to ease our job too, nothing as extreme as your fix, which I have to say is a prime example of redneck inginuity. Very good job.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Banned
    Blog Entries

You don't want to know the things we have done with wire and ducktape to field fix wrecked Super-Cubs and get them back to the airport. You do your best, have a shot of something, say a prayer, grab your manhood, and push the throttle full forward, and grab ALL the flaps, and bleed them off ASAP.

If it can be taken apart or broken down then I've probably done it...twice. If it can be "re-engineered" utilizing less parts than originally supplied...I've done it. If it can be put together and look different than the picture on the box....I've done it and won awards. If it can be held in place with duct tape, bailing wire, string or all of the above....I've traded it off that way. If it can be taken apart and put back together utilizing less part than originally supplied and look different than the picture on the box because it's being held together with duct tape, bailing wire, string or all of the above....I've traded for it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I used to have a 78 f-150 with a 300-6 that just wouldn't die that made me famous at work for the way I "fixed" it. I rewired the alt. so I could use it as a welder. The drivers side front spring mount rusted off so I just shoved a 4x6 between the I beam and frame with the intention of fixing it, but it worked so well that I drove it another 3 years like that. The lower radieator hose rotted out and would have cost me a wopping $16 dollers to fix so instead of that I put an electric space heater with a timer on it and pluged it in at work and at home so that it would kick in about an hour and a half before it was time to go to warm up the cab.
    And this last one is the one that everyone at work thought was the best. One day after work I went to start it up and the starter made the most horrable grinding sound to get everyones attention. When I opened the hood I found the engine laying on its side. Both engine mounts and the transmision mount were broken and the valve cover was laying on the drivers side mount and the starter was up agenst the the passanger side mount. I pried down on the starter to get it to engage with the flywheel well a coworker started it with a key. Once it was running(still on its side) He did a breakstand in reverse so that the touque would cause the engine to stand back up well I used a shovel handle to pry it back into place and then use zip ties to hold it in place long enough to get through the week and then replaced the motor mounts with 2x4's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillmann View Post
    I used to have a 78 f-150 with a 300-6 that just wouldn't die that made me famous at work for the way I "fixed" it. I rewired the alt. so I could use it as a welder. The drivers side front spring mount rusted off so I just shoved a 4x6 between the I beam and frame with the intention of fixing it, but it worked so well that I drove it another 3 years like that. The lower radieator hose rotted out and would have cost me a wopping $16 dollers to fix so instead of that I put an electric space heater with a timer on it and pluged it in at work and at home so that it would kick in about an hour and a half before it was time to go to warm up the cab.
    And this last one is the one that everyone at work thought was the best. One day after work I went to start it up and the starter made the most horrable grinding sound to get everyones attention. When I opened the hood I found the engine laying on its side. Both engine mounts and the transmision mount were broken and the valve cover was laying on the drivers side mount and the starter was up agenst the the passanger side mount. I pried down on the starter to get it to engage with the flywheel well a coworker started it with a key. Once it was running(still on its side) He did a breakstand in reverse so that the touque would cause the engine to stand back up well I used a shovel handle to pry it back into place and then use zip ties to hold it in place long enough to get through the week and then replaced the motor mounts with 2x4's.
    I have to hand that one to you. Do you still have the truck?
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I had a co-worker that used the epoxy out of the cable splicing kits to "bondo" his headlights in. That was back before reenterable splice kits. He was notorious for driving on bald tires, too. He came in one day all ticked off and someone asked him what the problem was. He said he ran over a piece of bubble gum on the way to work and it pulled the tube out of one of the tires.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default So?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I had a co-worker that used the epoxy out of the cable splicing kits to "bondo" his headlights in. That was back before reenterable splice kits. He was notorious for driving on bald tires, too. He came in one day all ticked off and someone asked him what the problem was. He said he ran over a piece of bubble gum on the way to work and it pulled the tube out of one of the tires.
    Those Thomas & Betts kits would mend anything except a broken heart or the crack of dawn, still have some "cold & close" that I repaired a hose with. Cable ties are great for everything. I am running a little low after 13+ yrs.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    I have to hand that one to you. Do you still have the truck?

No, after replacing the engine mounts the rear seal on the transmision began to leak and after a year and a half it got to the point that ATF got more expensive than fuel (it took two quarts a day one in the morning to get to work and one in the evening to get home). I gave it to a coworker to demo and that is how everyone at work heard about my wonderfull repair work.