Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Canteen cup cooking

  1. #1
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default Canteen cup cooking

    Lately i have been trying to master the art of canteen cup cooking. Some of the things i have made are ramen (NO WAY! LOL!) with tuna, rice flavored with beef bullion and i added slices of dried salami i roasted over the fire and last but not least powdered eggs. I have also made something sort of like a cornbread pancake on the bottom of my canteen cup. I turned it upside down while it was over the canteen cup stove and i used the bottom as a small skillet. Any one else into canteen cup cooking and if so what do you like to make?
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau


  2. #2
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,331
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I have not cooked in mine other than teas/coffee, Ramen noodles, and heating water for to reconstitue a dehydrated meal.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have not cooked in mine other than teas/coffee, Ramen noodles, and heating water for to reconstitue a dehydrated meal.
    green tea by any chance? i have some packets of it in my food kit. Thats about the only tea i have tried that i like hot. I want to try some of the blue berry stuff.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  4. #4
    Not a Mod finallyME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,110

    Default

    You got to try ramen with smoked oyster. Oh yeah!

    Canteen Shop

    Anyways, this guy does a lot of canteen cup cooking. If you want to do more boiling water and reconstituting, I have another recommendation.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

  5. #5
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    You got to try ramen with smoked oyster. Oh yeah!

    Canteen Shop

    Anyways, this guy does a lot of canteen cup cooking. If you want to do more boiling water and reconstituting, I have another recommendation.
    OH!! thats the guy i watched on youtube a while back! What was the other recommendation?
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  6. #6
    Quality Control Director Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,675
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I started doing that about 40 years ago. Today, I kinda' prefer a small titanium pot.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mertell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I don't use a "canteen" cup, but a stainless cup with lid. (24 oz.)
    In this I cook many things, but my favorite is Lipton cup-a-soup.
    Add a some extra noodles like (ring macaroni). Or rice. Maybe some dried veggies.
    Breast of ruffed grouse is nice.
    A meal fit for a King.

    -Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

  8. #8
    Not a Mod finallyME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    OH!! thats the guy i watched on youtube a while back! What was the other recommendation?

    This method, like I said earlier is basically boiling water and then pouring the water into a bag that has dehydrated food. It doesn't matter how you boil the water, so a canteen cup can be used to boil the water. You also don't have to clean up afterwards. Here is a link.

    Trailcooking
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

  9. #9
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    This method, like I said earlier is basically boiling water and then pouring the water into a bag that has dehydrated food. It doesn't matter how you boil the water, so a canteen cup can be used to boil the water. You also don't have to clean up afterwards. Here is a link.

    Trailcooking
    Thanks! ill check that out
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  10. #10
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I started doing that about 40 years ago. Today, I kinda' prefer a small titanium pot.
    I wanted a small titanium pot...but the ti-lit one i orderd was out of stock and i cant find it any place online.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  11. #11
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,331
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Not sure where in SE Georgia you are, but probably not too far from me - Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Army/Navy Surplus - just a few options that might be near you.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  12. #12
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not sure where in SE Georgia you are, but probably not too far from me - Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Army/Navy Surplus - just a few options that might be near you.
    The closest dicks that i know of is in augusta..thats about 4-ish hours away. Im about 45 min from the florida line. The closest "big" city is valdosta. Sometimes im forced to drive for hours or wait on a internet order. I havent found a good outdoor outfitter in my area...and i have been looking for a while.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  13. #13
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,331
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Here's some different titanium camp cookwear from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1256515197
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  14. #14
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    The Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cook Set looks like the ti-lite mug i was after. Ill probably end up getting that when i have the funds. THANKS CRASH!!!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  15. #15
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    38,331
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    That's just one link I pulled up. You may want to shop around, check out prices and shipping costs before you make a decision.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  16. #16
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    shoot yeah...i have to save money whenever possible!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  17. #17
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,757

    Default

    Matt - What kind of stove are you using? The reason I ask is because the size of the stove needs to somewhat match up with the size of the pot. For example, you probably don't want a 2 quart pot on an alcohol beer can stove.

  18. #18
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I have a little canteen cup stove as of now..its the type with no bottom so its realy just a stand that you sit the cup on. You are supposed to use trioxane fuel bars. But usualy i use a fire and coals.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    The closest dicks that i know of is in augusta..thats about 4-ish hours away. Im about 45 min from the florida line. The closest "big" city is valdosta. Sometimes im forced to drive for hours or wait on a internet order. I havent found a good outdoor outfitter in my area...and i have been looking for a while.
    Yeah I know where he is. He would probably have to go to Macon (in Georgia) to find anything decent. Although there used to be a Surplus store in Valdosta. Don't know if it still there anymore or not. It was in the "Old City" part of town.

  20. #20
    Member Matt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S.E Georgia (the swamp)
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Yeah I know where he is. He would probably have to go to Macon (in Georgia) to find anything decent. Although there used to be a Surplus store in Valdosta. Don't know if it still there anymore or not. It was in the "Old City" part of town.
    That place went under a few years ago..Southern Salvage was the name i think. Its a shame..they had some good stuff..theres a surplus store in tifton but its not much to speak of.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •