Thread: a nice dolma recipe

Default a nice dolma recipe

since nobody seemed to take interest in my squash wine recipe, i thought i'd do something you might be able to sink your teeth into. i haven't used quite this recipe yet, but i plan to make some of these if i can get any trout on thursday.

1/2 cup brown rice.

1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped.

1 spring of dill, to preference

1 several sprigs of cilantro, also to preference.

1tbs olive oil.

1/2lb smoked trout, sliced into 12 pieces.

1/4 cup sour yougurt or sour cream.

1tsp salt.

1 tbs citrus zest, as you like.

citrus juice such as lemon or lime or vinegar [it pays here to use the same fruit your zest came from, for simplicity's sake].

12 large grape leaves, rinsed.

in a pot, bring rice to a boil with twice it's volume of water, cover and reduce heat to a bare simmer.

in a small sauce-pan, bring oil to a medium-low heat. add onions and saute, stirring occasionally untill caramelized. add salt, dill and cilantro. reduce heat to low and stir. add yogurt or cream and zest, stirring again.

when rice is done, add to the saucepan and stir once more. remove from heat and cover.

wilt grape leaves over flame, or under a hot tap untill pliant. spread these out on a flat surface, and place a slice of trout on the center of each. add a heaping spoonfull of rice mixture to each. wrap these up and steam for 20 min.

serve hot or cold, top with a splash of citrus juice or vinegar.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Sounds yummy canid,will have to try his recipe!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

for a wild twist, i'm sure larger leaved nettle, or dock would be nice.

the sourness of grape leaf sits right in between.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

i'm trying to brush up lately on my hors d'oeuvres. one of several areas of cooking i've long neglected.