Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Membership Equipment

I carry a double stack .45 when in the woods. It's an XD 45 Service model. It's protection only. If I had to carry something for foraging it would be my Single Six with the WMR cylinder. Everyone has their own comfort level.

Sometimes what applies is the fact that a small person can wield a small sword as effectively as a big person wielding a heavier sword...or...a big person can maneuver a big sword as fast and effectively as the small person wields his lighter sword.

But this is only a fancy metaphor, and carries only so far when discussing firearms. When it comes to handguns...even a small person might want a heavy one with a big punch, it's weight keeping it steady and reducing the kick, but the small person still needing to learn how to handle the big thing, and you get a big punch which won't ricochet off of windshields and will take care of business. To an extent, it's the big person who can make a lighter handgun that still punches hard, work.

Disclosure: I have some, but little personal experience with firearms and knowledge of particular models. So I'm sure that I'm talking out of my rear a little. (Hehe, but I can teach you how to sword fight very effectively.)
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-24-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Never bring a sword to a gun fight.......

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by anozira View Post
    A lot of you guys have more experience than I do so it was comforting to see most of my picks made the list. In fact, mostly number one, always better than the bottom. Except the hand gun. I go with the 1911 .45ACP. Why wasn't that chosen? It's no heavier than some of the ones on the list and the capacity is similar or better.

If I'm missing something, please clue me in.
    For one thing that list is a couple of years old and some of us have been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century since our votes were taken.

The firearms list is like the knife list, just because something did not show up does not mean it was not there.

On any given day or month the average age of the members, their personal preferences and what they could afford at the moment might have influenced the count. The younger the member average the more 9mm shooters are going to be in the mix, and the more newbies there are the more .22s.

I am an old coot, and I have a rash of 1911 pistols, couple of 45acp revolvers that are older than anyone on this forum, but in 2013 I made the mistake of asking to be introduced to a Taurus 24/7 OSS .45 acp and realized that the designers of that pistol had cured every gripe I had ever had with the 1911 design and had given me as much magazine capacity as a Browning HP. It came home with me and the 1911 pistols are only fired as match and range toys now and seldom ever carried.

That being said I normally carry a 38/357 revolver as my woods/foraging gun, but I have been known to tote a .44 magnum on occasion and my daily carry gun is a 380 in summer and a 9mm in winter, if I am not carrying a .38 snub-nose at that moment.

That should clear things up but if not the fact remains that we don't hold your favorite carry gun against you no matter what it is. Randy T might show up with a .455 bulldog and we don't want to hurt his feelings, he's a good guy and all.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-24-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I kind'a wish some one would take on the task of updating this. I think it is a great list as is. Just kind of curious how it would go now. Great idea and I have really enjoyed the thread also.

Dang, Still hoping some poor soul needs a project here.