Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Membership Equipment

But it does give them a place to start looking. If you've never owned item X then the list will give you some point of reference to begin trying things for yourself. I don't think anyone is suggesting risking their lives on this or any other info.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Not even close. I suggest you try things out for yourself because a good percentage of internet info and common perception is developed by people with no experience. Don't bet your life on internet info. Trying it out for yourself is the only way to know you can count on it when the time comes and to what extent you can rely on it. I'm still amazed that Native Dude was able to con so many on this forum.
    see post #4,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    But it does give them a place to start looking. If you've never owned item X then the list will give you some point of reference to begin trying things for yourself. I don't think anyone is suggesting risking their lives on this or any other info.
    Absolutely, and not just those starting out. I think most of us are always looking for something new or a better way but you have to use trial and error. I wish it was just trial and not error but I have been suckered by new products and info too many times. Trial and error is a part of your life if you are serious about survival. Sharing those experiences is what a forum should be about but like all forums you have to sift through a lot of crap to find it. It does provide you with options you may not have thought of just don't be surprized if it does not work out. There is a big difference between knowing something and believing something.

Sort of like dating isn't it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good points AS.

I'm glad you brought this back up Scott as my views have changed on a couple things, but I still have my tried and true that I stick to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sort of like dating isn't it?
    Or Marriage.

Sometimes is just takes an experience or two before you get it right.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned

Rick, Glocks not being made would only be one of my top 5 things to happen in this world and I never, ever get my wishes, Murphy always steps in. NCO might be the orig Mora hater but I am steadfast the most out spoken GLOCK hater this side of the Cuyahoga (river that catches on fire) (actually Cuyahoga means Crooked) river basin. Ya say Glock around me and I start to shiver and my neck swells up somptin aweful. Sadly, Glock is coming out with a AR15/M4 look alike (Made of dang plastic no less) next year..............Oh death, where is my sting. * sigh

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Example: I can't beleive boiling is not #1 on water purification?
    I agree, I didn't see Iodine tablets either.

Iodine falls under chemical. Those listed are examples. Remember, too, that many are allergic to iodine and it makes the water taste like crap whereas filters do not.

Default Equipment??

Guys, i just came across this thread being new to the site. I know it is an old discussion.
    However, in reviewing the list, and the discussion, I see that water purification has been discussed and boiling was talked about. But since "boiling" is not a piece of equipment, but a method, are there any thoughts as to equipment for that purpose. Obviously being at home and able to boil water in a pot would be the primary prospect. However, in a survival situation what choices are there for boiling water in the field? Assuming you have at least a fanny pack with survival gear, what would you want to have that would be small enough to fit within as well as light enough, but large enough to be worthwhile?

Hmmm. Good point. I'm not sure how that was overlooked. Since I carry a canteen and cup the cup would be first on my list. I suppose your question as to worthwhile is subjective but I could make that work pretty easily.

what about the sawyer purification system? good for a million gallons. anybody use one? thinking about getting one.

I have used the Sawyer Squeeze. I loved it, and want to buy one for myself (have only used other people's).
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Also we should remember that the proposed "List" is also accompanied by many diuscussions of the "top three items", which often include the canteen/canteen cup along with some fire starting tool.

I have also noted as the years pass that we often refer to a "favorite method" or item and then wedo not actually use that item unless pressed to do so. Case in point, the ferro rod. Most of us have them and carry them in our gear but really start most of our fires with the trusty Bic lighter. The onbly time I use mine is when showing someone how it works.

As for boiling water, it is really seldom done unless in a disaster. Most of our woods work is planned and our filters and pills work very well for those purposes, espically in the volumes we need. One would be stopping to boil water at every creek crossing if they have only one bottle or canteen. It is much easier to pump the filter a few minutes or pop in a pill and keep moving.

And, as was stated, our opinions change over the course of a couple of years.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Interestingly. My filter clogged up so bad on a trip, posted here somewhere, but I never mentioned it in the AAR.

We boiled drinking water after that. We had taken with us a 5 gallon pot to boil crab in and stow gear in. We used it as a cistern off the shelter and to boil in afterwards.

Drank alot of coffee as the water tasted like the wood we were burning.

ETA- my point, lol.

Rat is dead on in his assessment that boiling is a genuine survival method now and not what most campers/hikers do regularly. We didn't actually boil it, just made it hot enough for long enough to not worry about it.

The "Billy" can is a pint to liter sized metal can type deal that, when packed with your foodstuffs, doesn't take much room at all and is useful as all heck. Tent cistern, cooking, transporting fire, bailing, etc.

After a couple days in the cold and wet, a bowl of hot water to wash your hands and face in is absolutely wonderful.
    Last edited by Winter; 10-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Here is my current bag what I always carry. It is very simple and basic kit for my one day hikes in the Hungarian mountains. Every feedback & advice is highly appreciated.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by el-amigo; 01-26-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Hard to see what you have there. What is in the little metal container?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Hard to see what you have there. What is in the little metal container?
    There are needle and threads in the metal container.
    There are toilet paper and a rain cover at the left side. The stuff in the middle of the picture is clear. At the right side you can see my Hungarian military compass \o/, it has a great signalling mirror part, and there is my first aid kit. That's very simple kit for my daily needs. And I have some safety matches as well.

I also added a multi-use item to my pack.
    Last edited by el-amigo; 03-09-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    [Responding to why Bear Grylls' work didn't rank higher] He hasn't done the poll yet on comedy manuals.
    A hearty and resounding "AMEN, BROTHER!"

-- Nighteyes

P.S. I have always used my own priority list (which turns out to be very similar to "The Rule Of Threes") to determine what I have with me at all times. I always have

1. A rudimentary first aid kit (generally smaller than my wallet, btw, though capable of handling more than a simple cut/abrasion)

2. A cutting edge and some form of firestarter (lighter, etc.)

3. A means of collecting, purifying, holding and drinking water.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 03-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.

I just bought a new rucksack for my daily public transportation...
    http://www.military1st.co.uk/1400200...all-olive.html