Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing Servival shovel

Makery and Mischief

Default Help choosing Servival shovel

Im going on a big adventure soon and i want to bring a servival shovel. I wanted the crovel 2 but they cant provide one in time . So im kind of leaning towards the Chinese military folding shovel or the coald steal spetsnaz. Is there anything beter out there what do you guyes think.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I don't recommend cheap plastic ones. They may weigh less but they are not sharp enough to cut down into dirt.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Just a personal perspective - folding is nice, but I don't like the idea of that kind of moving part that could go bad. A shovel being something that'd have stresses on it. It's an item that, if it malfunctions, is hard to improvise precisely because it's made that way. But of course that depends on the design. To solve this dilemma though, an idea I do like is a shovel which is intentionally made without a handle, but to accept a handle that I'd fashion for it when out in the bush. That way, I get what a person is trying to get with a folding one - low weight and small space when carrying. And, it's intrinsically amenable to "repair" by simply fashioning another handle, cause it's made that way in the first place.

So, a shovel is something that I'd just custom make myself. Would be pretty darned easy. Relative to a good knife, that is. And would make sure that the socket is specifically made a certain way for this purpose...not flimsy, and with a hole or two into which to drive a retainer pin. Or just made to wedge real nicely. But also made so I can get a broken piece out of it.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-24-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

One of the older Doomsday Prepper shows, guy was using the Chinese Mil shovel to chop up a dead pig.....?

Review....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

^ So they're pretty tough? Probably adds some weight to a pack though.

- William Arthur Ward

Makery and Mischief

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    Just a personal perspective - folding is nice, but I don't like the idea of that kind of moving part that could go bad. A shovel being something that'd have stresses on it. It's an item that, if it malfunctions, is hard to improvise precisely because it's made that way. But of course that depends on the design. To solve this dilemma though, an idea I do like is a shovel which is intentionally made without a handle, but to accept a handle that I'd fashion for it when out in the bush. That way, I get what a person is trying to get with a folding one - low weight and small space when carrying. And, it's intrinsically amenable to "repair" by simply fashioning another handle, cause it's made that way in the first place.

So, a shovel is something that I'd just custom make myself. Would be pretty darned easy. Relative to a good knife, that is. And would make sure that the socket is specifically made a certain way for this purpose...not flimsy, and with a hole or two into which to drive a retainer pin. Or just made to wedge real nicely. But also made so I can get a broken piece out of it.
    Yeah I totally agree about the whole folding part and I wish I had time to make one for myself I was thinking it would be pretty cool to make one that was part shovel part billhook. I think for the very reason of sturdiness and the fact that I can make a new handle if the wooden handle breaks I'm going to go with the cold steel Spetsnaz shovel.

What kind of adventure? Are you always going to be next to a vehicle? Are you backpacking?

My favorite shovel for backpacking is an indian digging stick. It doesn't weigh much, and is pretty cheap. Okay, so it is free, and since I don't carry it, it weighs nothing. For backpacking, the only thing you need a shovel for is to dig a cat hole. Like 1s said above, a plastic shovel will break on you..... trust me on this one. A good sturdy stick generally won't, and if it does.... find another.

If you really need a shovel, get a real one, like a full size one with the D handle. If you have ever had to dig a fox hole with an entrenching tool... you know what I mean by real shovel.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

If you have a vehicle, it should have an ax, shovel, and saw ....and I added bolt cutters....on board at all times.

If I'm am gonna carry a shovel,..... then I bring my old US Milsup (has been around for ever)......has blade and pick....and yes, does have moving parts....but mine is older than I am....

Looks like this....from SG....that I sure is a knock off...
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...IY6xoC8gTw_wcB

indian digging stick
    Absolutely. And I do love me a D handle, along with a short handle. Instead of standing, I get on my knees with a short D handle, I can dig a hole to China.

- William Arthur Ward

Makery and Mischief

I cant talk about the adventure at this point but i am bring other stuf. So mostly I'm just concerned about a shovel that is a really good shovel. I love the folder i have at home its really old but I won't be bringing a welder and I've already had to be weld that one 3 times.

A good thing about some of the folding contraptions is when it's one where you can change the angle of the blade to a right angle. That's real handy.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Fowler View Post
    I cant talk about the adventure at this point but i am bring other stuf. So mostly I'm just concerned about a shovel that is a really good shovel. I love the folder i have at home its really old but I won't be bringing a welder and I've already had to be weld that one 3 times.
    Then why bring it up in your original post?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You are not gonna dig a well every night are you......?
    Had a guy suggest the best tool for survival was a shovel....pick a spot and dig a well.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Then why bring it up in your original post?
    LOL. The super top secret adventure.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-25-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Not gonna do it....not gonna do it......

I had an old entrenching tool with shovel and pick. Lasted nearly 40 years before the tangs that the collet screws up against wore off at teh corners enough to close even when the collet was tight. I don't remember seeing Made In China anywhere on it. Couldn't bring myself to toss it. Buried it like an old friend, near an old stone wall.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Not gonna do it....not gonna do it......
    Go ahead.

You know you are going to eventually.

Reminds me of the Rolls Royce dealership with no prices on the windows. If you have to ask you can't afford it.

I will never forget the DI inspecting my perfect e-tool dug foxhole and commenting; "Looks pretty good kid, but its in the wrong spot. Fill it up and move it 6" to the right!"
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Makery and Mischief

Ok so i went with the cold steel Spetsnaz shovel. Becaus what walking tree said about folding parts. And finally me said just bring a regular shovel. So the spetsnaz is the closest to a regular shovel with no folding parts and if i find im using it alot i can always make a longer handle. And its sharp edge can be used as a hid scraper or small boosh machete tool .

Make sure you boil your urine first. And filter it through some leaves and sticks and stuff.

Wait...that's just for the second time around. First time, yer all good.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 04-25-2016 at 11:21 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

WTH ?

When did we cross over to discussion of drinking pee.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?