Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could take only 3 things with you, what would they be?

Freedom Is Not Free MilVetPatriot's Avatar

Default If you could take only 3 things with you, what would they be?

OK here is the scenario.

Ok, here we go, your already wearing good footwear and all the proper clothing for the 55 to 70 degree weather you are stuck in. The landscape in full of lakes, rivers, mountains and a variety of evergreens. Your in the middle of no wear and have no clue how long it will take till someone finds you are till you find your way out. If you could choose 3 things, and only 3 things to have on you at the time to help in your survival, what would they be.

Keep in mind, you cant say "enough food to last me till im rescued"....
    Im talking about gear or items to assist. And Id like to know details about each item you choose and why. For example, If you say knife, Id like to know which knife.....brand, style, blade.....etc..

My 3 choices would be as follows.

1. Fixed blade knife: My choice would be the Yarborough "Green Beret Knife" with the 7 inch plain blade. A good high quality fixed blade in my opinion is an asset in any survival situation.
    2. A box of strike any wear matches.
    3. A U.S. issue mil spec tritium lensatic compass for direction of course.
    -The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants-

I would say a fixed bladed knife, probably my RC3 or Grohmann Boat knife, swedish fire steel, and a pack of fish hooks.

Meaningless question as I keep far more than 3 survival implements with me at all times and in all places.

Why would I suddenly throw away any of them?

I will say that, amoung the various things I would invariably have with me, three of the more important are:

1. Victorinox Fieldmaster Swiss Army Knife - All kinds of useful implements including a wood saw, scissors, and two blades.

2. Firesteel with striker - Screw the matches. One rainstorm and their finished. The firesteel will easily and reliably start thousands upon thousands of fires and isn't rendered useless, if it should get wet. My "striker" is usually a RMEF fixed-blade skinner that was made by Browning.

3. Flashlight - I've never really understood why flashlights aren't more popular among so-called survivalists. They are so handy at allowing you to see what's going on at night. They also can allow you to travel, find firewood, scare off animals, build a shelter, etc. after night has fallen. They are much more reliable and safer than a flame torch and with today's LED models, a small light can be left on literally for days and the batteries will still be good.

Of course, except for when I am at work, I also always carry some kind of firearm; usually a small S&W .22LR revolver and a supply of ammo. It has garnered me more than one fine meal during my backcountry travels.

The trick to developing a truly useful survival kit is not in limiting yourself to a particular and arbitrary number of items. Rather you need to figure out what things will actually prove useful to you (as opposed to being just extra weight to carry around) and then find a way to get those items in models that are small enough and light enough that you will willingly carry them all the time.

Blog Entries

Cool Oh no, not again!

Check the previous threads on this subject to see how I answered cuz' I ain't doin' it! No offense, but I don't care for these things. I carry far more than 3 items & anybody who doesn't is a "Numpty" in my book! Sorry, but questions like these rub me the wrong way!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'd bring Ken and Crashdive.Three heads are better than one. And for our entertainment I would bring 2D.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

While I agree that I would not venture off into the wilds with only three things, I understand the intent of the OP, so I’ll play. I’m tempted to say metal pot, fixed blade knife and firesteel – buuuuuuuuuut……

1. Iridium 9555 satellite telephone. Works anywhere on the planet. I can call for help to come get my sorry, unprepared butt.
    2. GPS so that I could give my rescuers the exact location of where to come get my sorry, unprepared butt. Probably go with the Garmin GPS 12 – no particular reason, other than I already own one (it’s old, but reliable).
    3. My camera – Cannon SX10 IS so that I can record my adventure and rescue, post it on the internet, become the next youtube sensation of how not to become a sorry, unprepared hiker.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

1.) Estwing Axe for shelter and firewood. (Anything a knife will do, it will do better, and so much more).

2.) Extra-Large Bic Lighter

3.) Small complete Fishing Kit (Food)

With those tools and being a healthy 63 year old, experienced woodsman, I would just walk home, going the long indirect route.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.

enough duct tape to build a shelter, not to hold together a shelter just build the whole thing out of the tape.

I'm with sarge, about 3 years ago I answered satellite phone to the one thing question so...I haven't changed my mind. I'd use the satellite phone to order pizza then follow the delivery guy home.. Anything too far from civilization for that and I'm carrying more than three things.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

trax.........
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

what? what'd I say? nothing better than fresh hot pizza delivered in less than 30 minutes when you're out tramping around in some nice park with lovely cultivated trails. But, on the other hand, if I'm canoeing around northern Manitoba where there are only moose trails and no roads, I'm packing a lot more than three things. And, if there's a place where I'd need a sat phone to get rescued (I anticipate never having to be rescued in my life, pardon the arrogance) there's no place I'd need it more than that. "Call in the choppers" as my military friends are prone to quoting.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

No silly,you are my answer,what one thing would you take,I take trax!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hmmmmmm........???
    Let me see.........
    1. A good heavy duty knife. With it I can cut wood, skin an amimal, cut a limb for a fishing pole or spear........
    2. something to make fire likely a blast match with fire I can signal for help, boil water,( you can make something to boil water in) Keep warm, cook food, scare off predators,etc.
    3. A good stick bow, with it I can make my own arrows if needed, I can hunt for food if needed, protect myself.......

If I have these I think I could survive for quite a while in the scenerio talked about. I may not come out in great shape but at least alive,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    No silly,you are my answer,what one thing would you take,I take trax!
    You only say that cause you're in-love with Trax and would jump at any opportunity to be alone with him.

And by the way......I'd only bring one item.....Me, if I was stranded in the middle of no where.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    You only say that cause you're in-love with Trax and would jump at any opportunity to be alone with him.
    well jeez can ya blame the girl???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    well jeez can ya blame the girl???
    I guess not. legion has it you are very resourceful and ruggedly handsome.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Ok, to Lucznik and Sarge and anyone else this thread "rubbed" the wrong way.

This was a what if, scenario based question...... I believe i said "If you could choose 3 things, and only 3 things"
    Wait let me go look.....yep that's what I said...I'm sure most of us carry more than 3 things at a time but that wasn't the question. And Lucznik nobody said you had to suddenly throw anything away, next time I post a thread ill make it more simple for you. Also do you always reply to meaningless questions?? Just curious??
    Maybe I should have said something like this......
    Pretend an armed Al-Kida operative was holding you at gun point, and just for the mere fun of it he told you to empty all of you pockets out and then told you he was about to drop you off in the middle of the scenario I explained before, but wait there's a catch, you can choose only 3 things from your vast pile of survival gear you just emptied on the ground to take with you, what 3 things would they be???
    would that have made it better guys??
    All you guys that didn't care for this thread, I do believe that the effort you spent saying so could have equally been put into just not replying at all......And
    But hey, its a free country right, for now anyway.....And everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    And that's just mine...
    Thank all of you that participated. And the rest of you need to loosen up....
    -The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants-

Quote Originally Posted by MilVetPatriot View Post
    do you always reply to meaningless questions??
    Only when I think the person asking the question has some hope of learning greater wisdom.

This was a what if, scenario based question...... I believe i said "If you could choose 3 things, and only 3 things"
    Wait let me go look.....yep that's what I said...I'm sure most of us carry more than 3 things at a time but that wasn't the question.
    The point is that the question itself as well as the scenario upon which it was based are both based on a train of thought that is not logical. In pointing out the inherent flaws in that scenario, we are providing a means of helping you come up with better, more applicable, and ultimately more useful questions. Just asking random questions isn't nearly as helpful as knowing how to ask the right questions.

nobody said you had to suddenly throw anything away,
    Sure you did. You said to limit the answer to three things, which is less than I carry even when I'm walking around my own home in my pajamas, let alone anytime I'm outside in the wilderness.

Maybe I should have said something like this......
    Pretend an armed Al-Kida operative was holding you at gun point, and just for the mere fun of it he told you to empty all of you pockets out and then told you he was about to drop you off in the middle of the scenario I explained before, but wait there's a catch, you can choose only 3 things from your vast pile of survival gear you just emptied on the ground to take with you, what 3 things would they be???
    would that have made it better guys??
    Al Qaeda does not typically operate in rural Wyoming. If they did, they would not likely drop any (living) person off into the wilderness at all, let alone with a quantity of survival equipment. They would kill you. They are terrorists, not drill instructors.

All you guys that didn't care for this thread, I do believe that the effort you spent saying so could have equally been put into just not replying at all......
    As I said before, we do want you to learn and to help you ask the right questions. That alone makes the effort worthwhile.

As I indicated before, rather than asking what 3 (or 4 or 5 or whatever number) of things would be selected, you would be better off finding out what things people consider to be invaluable in their daily (or situational) carry routines. The lists will vary greatly and some people will carry a lot more than others. That's O.K. Everyone has different skills and preferences. Once you have as many lists as you can get your hands on, you can then go through and pick the items from them all that make sense for your situation, that you have the skill to use, that you can comfortably carry, and that provide a benefit equal to or greater than the cost and trouble associated with carrying them.

My god lucznik the more you reply to this thread the more I SEE WHY you replied the way you did in the first place. Your putting way to much un- needed thought into it. i dont believe you would know logic if it kicked you in the balls. Once again though, lucky for you freedom of speech even applies to people like you...
    And just think, all that time you spent writing all that unnecessary bull, you could have made yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!!!

Hey I worded the same question saying what are your 3 most important items and got just as much if not more flak.... "oh I always carry more than 3"
    I think some people feel the need todemonstrate how much smarter and more prepared they are.. Even if they get the intent of your question...
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Also lucznik, I don't need your help, advice, are your opinion on what questions you think I should ask. You remind me of our current government. Would you also like my number so you can call me every morning to discuss what my choices are for breakfast, or maybe what ill decide to wear for the day.
    Once again if you dont like the questions im asking you have 2 choices:
    You can not reply. (Which im almost sure would be best)
    Or 2, you can reply just like you did, and prove once again how much of a moron you are. Go make you a sandwich man.
    The day anyone tells me what questions to ask are how to ask them for that matter is the day i go find another forum.