Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intro and Craziness

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouth View Post
    Any recommendations on a good sleeping bag? My parents say they will help me out with buying it. And I would like to get one that's good to around 10 or 20 degrees.
    Check out www.mec.ca, they are Canadian and have excellent sleeping bags for a really good price. I really like their hybrid mummy bags: top is down-filled, bottom and hood synthetic filled. They are much lighter and pack better than pure synthetic filled ones while not being so susceptible to dampness. My partner and I both have a couple of them, use them lots and are happy.
    The hybrid that's good to -12C (=10F) packs down to 10l volume, weighs 1.7 kg and is about CAN $140.- That's what I'd get.
    Actions speak louder than words

Blog Entries

Cool Threads merged!

Ok Motormouth, I've merged your threads, otherwise we'll have people responding to the same questions on both of them. 2nd, I personally stay away from down as I've heard too many horror stories about people being found froze to death in them when they got wet then froze. Also check on the shipping out of Canada. Might be a lot higher, then there's customs. Some of our members have complained about the cost & the wait to get the items. However, at the end of the day it's all up to you. My kid brother has a nice mummy bag that he bought from REI that he summited Mt. Kilimanjaro with & still has it. Whatever you do, choose wisely. Ken on here shops REI quite a bit & can probably give you more info.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

As far as bags go, if there is any chance of it getting wet, go with a synthetic fill bag. They dry faster and will still keep you warm even when wet.
    I know what hunts you.

Well my name is Jeff and I'm 16. For the past few months I've been restless and unable to concentrate in college,(early I know) sleep at all, and do anything really. I couldn't stop thinking all the time about what I wanted to do with my life and after a lot of thinking I still wasn't clear. So I got to thinking what I wanted to do right now. Then this idea popped into my head. To walk. For however far I want or for however long. Basically backpack across the country. Now please don't just shoot me down or call me a stupid teenager because I know that's what this sounds like. I just want to know what I need to do to prepare for this. Like what physical stuff I need to do to get in good enough shape, what stuff I actually need to carry with me, and all the necessary skills. So please don't bash me, just some advice would be great.

Thanks.
    Well Jeff, I believe you when you say you are 16. Quite honestly that's about the only thing that you have posted that I believe. You said you were in college. You said you were getting into too much trouble in high school so decided to give college a try. You said you were not dropping out, but just weren't going to register next semester (that's dropping out btw). You said you are taking an EMS/First Responder course, yet don't seem to see the value in it. You say you are going to hike across the country and take about a year to do it. You also say that you are going to work along the way. Really? You say that you have no equipment and really don't know what you should get. You then produce a rather large equipment list that you own. You then ask about renting equipment at REI because you know what you need, but not what brands. You said you had no relatives other than your parents, and then three brothers magically appear.

Like I said - I believe you are 16 (doesn't matter if you are or not), but nothing else you have said is credible. Troll?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Welcome to Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well Jeff, I believe you when you say you are 16. Quite honestly that's about the only thing that you have posted that I believe. You said you were in college. You said you were getting into too much trouble in high school so decided to give college a try. You said you were not dropping out, but just weren't going to register next semester (that's dropping out btw). You said you are taking an EMS/First Responder course, yet don't seem to see the value in it.
    Yes I am in college. CNM to be precise. Central New Mexico community college. There's no commitment when going to a community college. So I would not be dropping out. And all my brothers before me have gone to their Senior year at high school and then gone to CNM or UNM. I am taking an EMS First Responder class, when I said "for whatever it's worth" I was referring to the question on the intro template that Rick said I should use. Here's the template link http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813 and this was the question I was answering, "Your Occupation (present and relevant past, such as military, technical, etc.)", I figured that the EMS course was relevant but I wasn't sure if it was relevant to anything I could use in the wilderness. It's mostly about medications and learning what is in the First Responder scope of practice and such.

You say you are going to hike across the country and take about a year to do it. You also say that you are going to work along the way. Really? You say that you have no equipment and really don't know what you should get. You then produce a rather large equipment list that you own.
    And yes I plan to walk the country and work on the way. (yes I do realize that looking back on the way I said everything how it could look like I'm just BSing you guys) I honestly thought I had no equipment. I went in one of the sheds out back and found very little in the way of camping gear. So I asked my mom if we had anything. And she suggested to look in my brothers shed that was on the side of the property for my brothers gear he used when he was in Europe briefly. That's when all that gear appeared. I would even have a sleeping bag but he gave it away when he was there.

You then ask about renting equipment at REI because you know what you need, but not what brands. You said you had no relatives other than your parents, and then three brothers magically appear.
    You would be amazed at how much one can learn on the internet. Especially on this forum. I learned very quickly what I would need. Especially after I found my brothers stuff and was told basically all I needed for a few days trip was a sleeping bag. And yes I really can see how saying I have no relatives but then having three brother appearing is kinda sketchy. But seeing as one is in China, the other is very, um how do I put this, strongly dislikes being outdoors, and the other is way to busy to even get a day off; I figured it wasn't relevant to mention them.

Like I said - I believe you are 16 (doesn't matter if you are or not), but nothing else you have said is credible. Troll?
    No, not a troll. What would I have to gain by furthering this? Nothing. I can't change your mind but all I can say is I am not a troll. If I was going to troll I'd head over to /b/ or something. Once again I do realize how everything I have said seems very unrealistic and stupid and I apologize for all the confusion.

EDIT: Here is some more explanation. I'm 16. My parents are both over 60. They are physically not up to it. My brothers are 24, 29, and 31. (Just had birthdays, mom told me, I don't pay attention.) They left the house when I was 12. My 24 year old brother went away to Bible College when he was 20. Therefore they have not been a very big part of my life after my childhood. My dad says he's teh only one he knows that has had kids born in 3 decades. Pretty crazy eh? Mom says - "Teenagers do become enthusiastic about a new idea or interest and want to know all about it quickly." This was part of the reason why overnight, I knew the basics of what gear I needed, but not the brand. When I first thought of this, I was enthusiastic and thought I could just walk out the door. My mom tried to explain to me that I needed to prepare, but as a usual teenager I just figured she was being an "over protective mom". So I decided to look into what I needed to do to prepare for this. And I stumbled upon this forum. I immediately posted and was so excited I tried to summarize as much as I could into as little as possible. That's why I left out some details. Then I went back to my mom saying I knew I needed to prepare and that I would take as long as it took to get ready and have their approval. That's when I asked if we had some camping gear and she told me about my brothers stuff. I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion around me being legitimate and really wanting to do this.
    Last edited by Motormouth; 10-18-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: More info

Not anything I can add to the wisdom already shared here. I am still learning myself. So all I can add is welcome to the forum and when you take your journey ba safe, have fun, make many good memories to enjoy the rest of your life,

MM I believe you are legit. I hope you learn all you need, and practice BEFORE you head out into anything that could cause problems - large or small. LOL I can identify with the desire to "Know it all-Right now" attitude. I did the same when I got into Survival as a teen. Couldn't find enough information fast enough. Had one book devoured before I could even find another one(Way before the internet).

I would say you need to learn a LOT before you go out. Just having equipment doesn't mean you know how to use it. There are a few forums that are dedicated to backpacking. I would suggest those sites instead of this one. This one is more towards survival, not backpacking. Yes, there is a difference. It is not that you can't use the info here on survival, but generally you want more backpacking specific info. I would look for sites that focus on "lightweight" backpacking, unless you like "heavyweight" stuff. Read a lot and start setting REAL goals. All you know you want to do is hike far. You might want to set an exact start/stop. Then you need to pick a route. You need to decide your time frame. If you plan to work on the way, your time frame will be blown. Do you want to hike roads or trails? etc. Also, you need to practice before you go. Camp in your backyard first, then a car camping site. Move up to an overnighter that includes hiking. When you are confident with the skills, move up to a month. After that, you should know what you need for a year.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, Motormouth!

I don't know that you're a troll, but if you are you're not doing anything wrong so far. I do, how ever, find it interesting that a 16 year old has a mother over 60. How old was she when you were born? Also, FinallyME has given you some great advice, use it! Sarge clear!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I would say you need to learn a LOT before you go out. Just having equipment doesn't mean you know how to use it. There are a few forums that are dedicated to backpacking. I would suggest those sites instead of this one. This one is more towards survival, not backpacking. Yes, there is a difference. It is not that you can't use the info here on survival, but generally you want more backpacking specific info. I would look for sites that focus on "lightweight" backpacking, unless you like "heavyweight" stuff. Read a lot and start setting REAL goals. All you know you want to do is hike far. You might want to set an exact start/stop. Then you need to pick a route. You need to decide your time frame. If you plan to work on the way, your time frame will be blown. Do you want to hike roads or trails? etc. Also, you need to practice before you go. Camp in your backyard first, then a car camping site. Move up to an overnighter that includes hiking. When you are confident with the skills, move up to a month. After that, you should know what you need for a year.
    That's certainly enough to keep me busy for quite awhile. I think that tonight I can practice out back using my dads sleeping pad and bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I don't know that you're a troll, but if you are you're not doing anything wrong so far. I do, how ever, find it interesting that a 16 year old has a mother over 60. How old was she when you were born? Also, FinallyME has given you some great advice, use it! Sarge clear!
    Just asked her and she says she was 43 when she found out and 44 when I was born. Contrary to what she says I firmly believe I was an "Oh s***" baby. I remember one day at school where a kid asked if she was my grandma. When I responded no he asked if she was my aunt. I think I've got the oldest parents compared to a kid my age.
    Last edited by Motormouth; 10-19-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

That's certainly enough to keep me busy for quite awhile. I think that tonight I can practice out back using my dads sleeping pad and bag.

Just asked her and she says she was 43 when she found out and 44 when I was born. Contrary to what she says I firmly believe I was an "Oh s***" baby. I remember one day at school where a kid asked if she was my grandma. When I responded no he asked if she was my aunt. I think I've got the oldest parents compared to a kid my age.
    1st, remember that FinallyME is a Scoutmaster & only has good advice, 2nd, my condolances to your mother.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My partner's mother gave birth to him at age 45...seems to make for very cool parents. His also let him off the leash around your age already and he went travelling abroad alone - something other kids can only dream of.

Some books you may enjoy (maybe you read them already) are: "A walk across America" and "The walk west", both by Peter Jenkins. He hiked across the States along roads, working and living with people along the way. "The Great Divide" by Stephen Pern is about his hike along wilderness trails and off-trail from Mexico to Canada.
    Maybe good to compare the pros and cons of highway versus trail / wilderness hiking.

Most of your reading you can do in your tent on your weekend hikes now...only way to find out what works for you and what doesn't is to do it.
    People tend to get sidetracked into becoming great theoretical experts on things - much easier to read up on camping in the rain while sitting on the couch, as opposed to being out there, camping in the rain (I'm not saying you're one of them - but they are out there in scary numbers while the people who actually get off their butts and walk their talk are rather few).
    Actions speak louder than words

Welcome to Wanderlust

I'm reading "A Walk Across America" right now. About halfway through. And I'm gonna start reading "The Tracker" next.

Well Motormouth - if I am wrong, I will extend my apologies to you. Many have offered you good advice. The most critical bit I believe (if you want help from others on an internet forum) is to develop a plan - a detailed plan - share as much of it as possible and then ask specific questions. Without that, the answers you get may not be meaningful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm right there with ya' MM. My Mom was 42 when I was born and turned 43 exactly a month later. I know what you mean about the silly questions. My Sister is 18 years older than me and my Brother 12 years older than me. One time when visiting my sister one of her acquaintances, (who barely knew my Sister) ran into the 3 of us. She said "How sweet 3 generations of the Family. This must be your son(me) and his Grand Mother!!" She got just a little embarrassed. It is somewhat like being an only child, really. Yeah I have siblings but for all intents and purposes they were gone when I was growing up.

All these people who have replied to your post have given you top notch advice. Wild Woman practically lives in the Wilderness,really she does. Finally Me is a BSA Scoutmaster. Sarge is a good guy, He just missed his calling as a Drill Sergeant. Me I just kinda' realize where you are coming from,and kinda' identify with you. Crash is Ex-military, and well versed in a number of topics. Same with SARKY and OldSoldier. Just my opinion but I think that Finally Me and Wild Woman have given you the best information pertinent to your particular situation and interests. I truly wish you the best in all your pursuits.

Blog Entries

Cool Like Poco says...

Yep, both FM & WW are right on! I know this is not what you're gonna wanna hear, but based on the lack of experience you've told us about I'd spend a couple years at least learning about the outdoors by setting up your own system of goals. Controlled situations that keeps the risk factor low. You need to learn how to deal with different weather situations as well as different terrains. That's why you need the help of other, more experienced folks. The outdoors is a great classroom, but every classroom needs a teacher.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Hello and welcome.

New Mexico huh? Nope, no places to go hiking there...or is there???

Take up hiking, get out in nature, start with small trips and build up from there, am I getting to be a stuck record here?? You'll learn what you need to learn in the field, any book can only advise. When some author tells you this is how to dress for X conditions, you don't know what that author is talking about until you've actually experienced X conditions and hopefully you had enough sense to take the advice before leaving home.

Start with small hikes, overnighters and leave your plans with someone, learn what the possibly fatal mistakes are while you're still close to home and help, but you're still building your experience, your fitness, your skill level. That's it, there ain't nothin' else to say about this

Welcome to the forum
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Welcome to Wanderlust

We've got the Sandia's to hike, and backpackers can do overnighters. There are no designated campsites but backpackers can camp anywhere up there. Just need too look for a site that looks good or has been used before. This Thursday me and my dad are gonna walk some trails up there to kinda see what it's like and possibly look for some good sites to camp. This weekend I'm gonna do an overnighter. I spent last night in the backyard and kinda know what I need for just one night. Definitely need warmer clothes and more water though. Got nice and chilly packing everything up in the morning. And was short a lil bit of water. Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. You've been a big help.