Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Intro and Craziness

I haven't read thru this whole thread, but I'd practice making fires, different types. i.e. One for cooking, boiling water, One for heat that will last thru the night without much attendance. Practice cooking, filtering/ boiling water, cleaning up, and cleaning your dishes etc. with limited resources. I pack shampoo only and use that to clean everything.

I burn thru tons of water when camping. Trying to limit that water usage would be my biggest challenge. I have a vehicle, so carrying 10-20 gallons of potable water is not a problem. If I were hiking cross country it might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1st, remember that FinallyME is a Scoutmaster & only has good advice, 2nd, my condolances to your mother.

I also have lots of bad advice. But, I will try and save that for later. And, just because I am a SM doesn't mean I know anything. I have met a few that didn't know much about backpacking. I just love backpacking, and have been doing it for a while, so it is something I know a little about.

Another MUST read for you is "The Complete Walker" by Collin FLetcher. Link.
    It has a LOT of information for beginners, and he is a very credible source. I checked it out from the library a year or two ago. I found it very informative for beginners, and not so much for me. But that is because I had seen, read or experienced most of it before so there wasn't much new.

Another book to look for is by Ryan Jordan. Book Link. I bought this one and love it. I only recommend it AFTER you have read Collin Fletcher and have some experience. He also runs a Backpacking magazine with a good website and GREAT forum. I won't tell you what it is, you can do your own google search.

Another guy to look for is Ray Jardine. He also has a good site to look at, and a few good books as well. He is a little on the extreme, and he thinks he invented everything and everyone stole his ideas. But, some of his ideas are very good.

New Mexico has a LOT of places to go hiking. It would take you more than a few years to go to all of them, and that is staying in NM. In fact, one of my most favorite weeklong backpacking trips was in NM at Philmont when I was 16. When you go, try to camp above 8000 ft, especially this time of year. That will teach you to bring a 0*F degree bag . Personally, I think you should hike either the CDT, PCT or AT first. One of those will fill your desire for a while, if you actually finish them.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee