Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Freedom Is Not Free MilVetPatriot's Avatar

Default Hello

Hello everyone. Id just like to introduce myself. I'm 31 years old and served in the U.S. Army for 10 years. I originally joined as a Military Police officer in 1998, and in 2001 after Sep 11 re-classed to Recon and Intel. I have served numerous tours overseas and have extensive survival training. I am currently working as a commercial diver medic. I was a member of this forum years ago, and I have to say the people you find here are some of the most easy going and knowledgeable people I have ever had the honor of chatting with. I am looking forward to getting back into things and meeting all of you through conversation. If any of you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask.
    -The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants-

Also, like I said, its been a few years since I used this forum.

Could anyone please message me and explain to me how I would go about starting a post.
    For example, If I wanted to start a discussion on the best backpack for 3 day hikes....How would i go about doing that....I would be very greatful if someone would take the time and explain it to me....Thanks
    -The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants-

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service. What was your screen name first go around? Just curious.

Explanation on the way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To be honest with you man im not sure, I think chopp.
    I can tell you I do remeber speaking to and many good conversations with a few different guys that had wolves as avatars.

Would you mind explaining to me how to start my own discussion?

welcome back shipmate!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by MilVetPatriot View Post
    To be honest with you man im not sure, I think chopp.
    I can tell you I do remeber speaking to and many good conversations with a few different guys that had wolves as avatars.

Would you mind explaining to me how to start my own discussion?
    There should be a pm waiting in your in box explaining it.

Was this you? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ber.php?u=1024 Either way - glad you're back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Damn......sure the hell was. Did we chat? and How did you know?

and it hasnt been as long as i thought, thought it had been a year r more since ive been on....anyway, good to be back

Quote Originally Posted by MilVetPatriot View Post
    Damn......sure the hell was. Did we chat? and How did you know?
    We did. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1866 Did you ever get that Kukri?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Welcome back to the Forums! Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. Thank you for your service.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-14-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome back.................

Thanks for the welcome back guys......Good to be back.....

Crashdive123....Yes i ended up buying that kukri, about 4 months after i bought it, it was stolen from my truck along with some other things. I do plan on getting another.

Welcome back!! I for one am new since you were last here... almost a year ago. Glad you are back. Truth be Told, I think I like your old avatar better.LOL that is one cool avatar!!

Welcome back.
    Would you be so kind as to explain "re-classed to Recon and Intel"? Is that a MOS? That is the second time I've heard that.I got out of the Reserves in 92 and I'm not up to date with the latest terminology.

Sure no problem. Re-classed means that once you have a primary MOS, which mine at the time was MP, 95B......I was given the opportunity to train for a new MOS. Once my training was complete, I was officially no longer an MP. MP became my secondary MOS. Re-classing is normally used as a retention tool when your window for re-enlistment opens, are through the Army BEAR program. Also in times of need, the Army has what they call a HOT LIST. This is a list of MOS's that are really short of personnel for what ever reason.
    In the case of Sep 11, after the invasion, The HOT LIST included jobs such as 88M (truck driver) due to the fact that a large number of the supply convoys were getting ambushed, and 88m's were getting KIA left and right, hence the need for more 88M's, hence the HOT LIST.
    Jobs on the HOT LIST normally had perks such as high bonus amounts with abnormally short tour lengths to entice service member's who were already active duty and already had attended Basic training.
    At the time, a Civilian off the street joining the army for the first time would have to attend basic training which is about 9 weeks and then AIT for roughly 6 weeks. With 88M's dieing faster than the Army could train them and send new ones back out 15 weeks was to long, but "re-classing" an already active duty soldier who has been to basic training already and has experience in basic soldiering skills, the made a 4 week 88M re-class program to get them back in the fight alot faster. Kind of a crash course.
    Now 88M is just one example of about 10 HOT LIST JOBS.
    For me, I was already active duty, serving as an MP in Alaska. I had only been overseas twice at that point. Once to Kuwait, and once to Iraq. after Sep 11, 2 recruiters visited my unit one day trying to recruit for there HOT LIST.
    They offered us stupidly large bonuses and some other perks. We "re-classed" to 18F which is special operations with a concentration in intel.
    The specific group I was attached to I was assigned to what they call a LRRP team.
    LRRP stand for Long Range Recon Patrol.
    We preformed a wide range of operations consisting of reconnaissance, intel gathering, target acquisition...etc.
    I served the rest of my time in the Army as a member of this LRRP team. Upon ETS, On my DD-214 under the MOS block I have 2 MOS's. 95B which is what MP used to be, now its 31B now I think, and 18F. If I ever rejoin the Army or they take the liberty to re-activate me, they can recall me as either MOS to fit there needs at the time.

I hope this answers your questions are any misunderstandings you might of had.
    If I can be of any more assistance, please, by all means let me know, I'm always happy to help out a fellow brother........

And when i said "we" re-classed to 18F
    I was talking about me and 2 very good friends of mine
    One of whom did not make it back

RIP ------- J.H.D Gone but never forgotten.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi & Welcome back!

Hi Chopp! About your pack question; I must confess some surprise as I figured a military man like yourself would know all about such things. Anyway, check out this sticky, it may help:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7341

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Hi Chopp! About your pack question; I must confess some surprise as I figured a military man like yourself would know all about such things. Anyway, check out this sticky, it may help:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7341

Sarge a lot of US military Men are accustomed to one thing...Whatever Uncle Sugar gave us to use. When it comes to civilian stuff sometimes we are clueless. When I got out in 89 I went hog wild with all the "New-fangled" camping stuff!!

hey Sarge, it been a long time.......How the hell have you been.
    Nahh man, the pack question was a hypothetical question...I was trying to figure out how to start a thread. But even with that said, I know all about military packs......and we both know military issued gear is not always the best and most comfortable. Im a civlian now man!!!
    Looking forward to many interesting discussions with you.

Pocomoon says it well........