Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Equipment... Blahhh!!!

Woodwose that is a great avatar what is it , looks like a demand that I should know from legend????

Thumbs up

For most people, the more they carry the safer they feel. Bringing everything and the kitchen sink puts them in their comfort zone. It gives them a false sense of security. Look at what most people carry with them on a daily basis, living in the city! Backpacks, shoulder (messenger) bags, purses, etc. Most of them are filled with items that are not necessities, but they carry them for the "comfort" factor.

I have seen people, in the woods, with 6,000 cu. in. 80# packs stuffed so full that the seams are stressing and the straps will barely hold. I have seen; battery powered-electric socks, 15 changes of clothing (yes there have been that many,) 4-pack of quilted N****ern toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant, 12 pair of "cotton" socks, entire kitchen cutlery sets, corelle dishes (to eat off of,) a monopoly game, women with make-up cases and battery powdered hair dryers & curling irons!

When I go off on multi-day treks I take; my schrade 4" fixed blade knife, 50' of 550 para-cord, my 8x magnifying lens, mish-metal match, my capote, wool poncho/sleeping blanket, billy can & canteen. . .that's it!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I've asked you this before but what does a metal match do? Does it scrape off the knife or is ot the same as flint?

I am new to the group and going through the posts...I had to re-read what your friends took for the "Day trip" I thought I missed something and it was for a few weeks...
    Kept checking that you said "day trip"....what would they bring if you were going for a whole weekend...A cabin?

Welcome to the forum, Dragonchi. Why don't you trek over to the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

The older I get the more I weed out and the lighter I go. I can sleep anywhere, anytime and I don't need much. I could go lighter on my usual arsenal but I choose not. Now as to the bag of donuts, danish and assorted goodies I'm sure I would consider that an absolute necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Now I do use some modern equipment, but as I read different threads it tickles me how some of us hike, track, and camp in the forests and mountains. Foam Mats under their sleeping bags, etc.
    Hmmm... what ya'll think?

there are sleeping bags with foam mats!! What has happened!
    "Where big buisness can make money, there will be unnecessary things sold that are 'better' then the old types"

It's true isn't it? I can sleep darn near anywhere as well. Driving, Operating heavy equipment, Volunteering at the Crisis Hot Line. Just about anywhere. If I get lucky, I'll get to go peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming and crying like dad's passengers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I always pack light. If it don't fit in my day pack or the front rack of my ATV I don't take it. The back rack is for the dog now that he is to old to keep up. Unless I'm hunting Large game. then the back rack is for "Meat" and the dog stays home. If I had to guess I would say that my multi-day kit weights about 50lbs. Don't poo poo my ATV, I am slightly disabled. Cant hump like I used to so now I use an ATV. Oh and I dont sleep on the ground any more unless there is no choice. I'm old enough to make that call. I carry my military cot. I have a "Jetboil" cup/coffee press and Pot. Mil. messkit spoon, knife and fork. At least 2 knives, a hatchet and some form of firearm. (All Modern)
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Hey, Omid. When you get to be our age, those mats are a necessity not a luxury. Oh, sure getting down there is easy. It's getting back up the next morning that's impossible.

"Help! I've laid down and I can't get up!"

Blog Entries

"My ouch ouch ouch back ouch ouch and ouch ouch knees ouch ouch ouch to heck with it im staying in bed this morning".
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Now I do use some modern equipment, but as I read different threads it tickles me how some of us hike, track, and camp in the forests and mountains. Foam Mats under their sleeping bags, Sleeping bags, Stoves, Knives, Forks, Spoons, and plates, Portable heaters, axes, backpacks bigger than my army large A.L.I.C.E. pack, lanterns, flashlights, headlamps, and enough other crap to sustain a whole family when its just a weekend or a week. (by knives I do not mean the knives like K-bar etc. I mean a dinner knife)
    WTF.... is it just me, or do some of us take half the house into the woods? Now i am not saying you can't or shouldn't... but damn from a stand point of survival or just hiking I think some people take a lot. Although this could be that I try to take as little as possible, keep the weight down, and get what I need from nature.
    Hmmm... what ya'll think?
    P.S. I know some of us are new, and I don't mean to offend anyone so if I did that was not my intentions, sorry.
    Stems from the history of american camping.. from city folks.. Now, I live in a city.. but I always thought that camping was supposed to be the capability of getting away from it all... not taking it with you. I do agree with you... and I do take some modern equipment... just to be safe out there.. with the practicality of those items.. and then sometimes the convenience of some of them too.. Times have changed Beo... We are now considered old timers.. maybe we need to accept and get used to it..

Old timers? You bet. I'm certified! I have my AARP card and my discounts. You young guys can pay full price while I get my old codger's break.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Old timers? You bet. I'm certified! I have my AARP card and my discounts. You young guys can pay full price while I get my old codger's break.
    Got my AARP too... But they keep sending me insurance applications... Their deal isn't such a great deal.... premiums increase as my income decreases.. IMHO.

I know what ya mean klkak, gotta love the ATV. I hurt my hip and lower back on a call over a year ago, and like you can not hike as much as I would like. When I go out I take my cot as well, that way I can get up and move in the morning, lol.

I sometimes dream of going out into the woods but dont have the skills or equipment. And I kinda live in the suburbs so i cant go
    Me Sad
    Tinder+kindeling+fuel+flame=fun

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I started getting into hiking and backpacking, I had no clue about equipment and had no skills, and got really crummy stuff and didn't know how to do things different. After some rather miserable, wet, cold trips, I went the other extreme and got brand-name stuff, most of which wasn't really worth the money.
    By now I've got it whittled down to a good tent (need one in the summer here, otherwise the bugs will drive you nuts) and alright sleeping bag and a 20-year old foamy. I don't pack a stove, use an ancient camp pot, cheapo boots, no gore-tex, and second hand wool or fllece clothing. My fancy Gregory backpack usually stays home and I use my patched up 20-year old cheapo pack instead. Bear spray and bug dope and a dry bag for hanging food.

Quote Originally Posted by ws3445 View Post
    I sometimes dream of going out into the woods but dont have the skills or equipment. And I kinda live in the suburbs so i cant go
    Me Sad
    Maybe I'm missing something. In your bio you say you're a bushman. I've ruled out politics......am I missing something?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are you kidding me? Fieldon in the suburbs? Alton maybe but you live right down the road from Pere Marquette. It's not 10 miles. Go hike!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. In your bio you say you're a bushman. I've ruled out politics......am I missing something?

Maybe her grew up in the Kalahari...and just moved on over to the US to get away from the heat.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen