Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising a Cowboy stories....

Default Raising a Cowboy stories....

Story 1

A 9 yr. old begs his father to take him duckhunting after having received a used 12ga. 870 for Christmas.... His father finally complies and says "son I will take you soon". The son is overjoyed both by his Father agreeing to take him but more importantly surely this is a step towards being a man. He waits patiently knowing pestering his Father will only prolong the wait. Weeks go by and his dreams are filled with ducks falling from the sky, staring at his new gun hanging over his bed he drifts off each night. Finally one evening as his Father arrives home from work and he watches as his father reaches for the ammo cans...he knows this must be the day. His Father says son get your gun and remember to follow the rules we have been over. Yes Sir! the son replies. It seems like forever as everything is loaded into the truck. Come'on son we don't have long before dark. As the truck doors slam the Father says son listen to me...Where we are going there will be alot of squirrels, don't shoot the squirrels just wait quietly and listen and watch for ducks, I will be on the other side of the pond. Yes sir, the son replies. The truck rolls up to a small pond surrounded by hardwoods. It s the most beautiful sunset. As they exit the truck the Father gives the son a box of handloads. Son you see that tree over there closest to the bank, Yes Sir, the son excitedly exclaims! Go sit under that tree and load your gun. Soon the ducks wil be flying! Yes sir, the son replies and is gone in a flash towards the tree. As the young boy sat he wondered where his Father had taken his stand and quickly loaded his gun as his Father has spent hours showing him. He was feeling like a man already! Soon out of the trees squirrels poured from every limb there must have been 30 right there and they seemed to all bark at the young boy. Running every which a way and all the while taunting the boy. He waited but no ducks in sight. He spotted several large squirrels playing chase and drew is shotgun firing 3 shots...He then turned to look for ducks still none insight, he waited patiently...suddenly he heard the truck start and the rumble of the big block as it groaned into the distance. He quickly gathered the seven squirrels he had shot and ran for where the truck had been to find....there was no truck. With his head hung low he thought as he knew it was a 4 mile walk home. He began to walk. As he walked he wondered just how much trouble he was in. It grew darker and darker as he walked his only fear was his own conscience eating him alive. Arriving home he took the squirrels from his vest and held them high as he walked through the door to find his Father sitting in the recliner as usual. His Father replied nice squirrels.....and the son said why did you leave Dad. The father simply replied I told you not to shoot the squirrels. Lesson learned!
    I never ever saw a duck at that pond as I grew older...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    The father simply replied I told you not to shoot the squirrels.
    A very wise man indeed.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yes he is Ken, I hope you enjoyed the story...I have several more I would like to write, so i was using this medium and copy pasting into Word for me when I get old I can sit and read...really I am contemplating writing a book..Not that I write all that well but there were some very special times in my life I would like to share.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Blog Entries

Yes he is Ken, I hope you enjoyed the story...I have several more I would like to write, so i was using this medium and copy pasting into Word for me when I get old I can sit and read...really I am contemplating writing a book..Not that I write all that well but there were some very special times in my life I would like to share.
    Cowboy, your story brought back many of my own memories. Keep posting.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I doubt Dad ever left the truck!

Story 2

Dad came home with an apple tree one evening. The following morning he called to me and my brother holding a shovel...He said "boys I want you to dig a hole for this apple tree" He scratched a 4' circle upon the ground and said "Dig right here and the hole needs to be as deep as it is wide" It seemed simple enough and Dad headed off to work. We are living in Central NM. Me and my brother jumped on that shovel for all we were worth and barely scratching the ground. There wasn't a lack of effort we were both intent on digging that hole. Nothing would move that dirt! It was like shoveling in the middle of a driveway... We grew tired and gave up....It seemed like no time even though it was a full day before Dad came home, I swear we tried we thought we gave it everything we had! Two young boys intent on doing what Dad had told us to do. I remember the arches of my feet were sore for days to follow. We were both wearing flemsy tennis shoes. Well all the effort was not making it happen! We gave up...Dad's truck came pulling up he was home from work and I remember I was so ashamed I hadn't done what he said to do but in my mind it was alright cause it couldn't be done. He looked at our efforts and shook his head in disappointment. I told him how we had tried and tried. He said we didn't use our noggin's to get it done as he walked to the spicket and cut it on then pulled the garden hose to the the spot where we had worked. Soon the ground was pliable and it was nothing to bury the shovel in the ground. I argued, how were we to know to use the hose. He simply said common sense son. You have to use your head or you'll never get to where your wanting to go son....Never forgot it and laugh at how many never learned that lesson!

Story 3

My whole family spent a week campin' on old Okechobee in central FL. We headed out in the ol' Renken Inboard Outboard for a day of fishin'. The wind got up and the lake became an ocean as we headed out. You couldn't see land anywhere you looked. Me and Mom were riding on the bow and trying to keep her down flat as we peaked the waves. Gosh! I wished i'd weighed more as I watched mom being punished by the waves. Dad headed for a canal. Soon we were fishin in the backwater. As I cast my Truturn and black-n-blue worm I got snagged on the bottom. Dad didn't have a trollin' motor. As I complained he said "Son you'll have to pull us to it or break it off". I began a slow hard pull. As we neared the snag I saw bubbles rising and laid on the rod with every pound of myself. Steady pulling had gotten us over the top of the snag....Eventually I pulled up a gator tail. I hollared Daddy I caught a dead gator as it was covered in slime and crustaceans. Dad asked "how do you know it is dead?" I replied well it looks dead and it has stuff all over it. He kept fishin' and replied well if it is dead then pull the hook out. (He never looked back from his fishin') So, I laid the rod back as hard as I could and reached for the hook, grabbing ahold of the sturdy shank I began to wiggle it out. When, I must have hit a nerve or either woke the beast up! It gave a violent swing of it's tail, slapping me in the face, I fell back in the boat and it sped off with my line it spooled me and broke off at the end of my line! Soon the gator surfaced and it was close to 9ft. long! What an impact that made on a 13yr. old~! I will never forget wrestling a 9 ft' gator by the tail....Now I look back and it was Dads way of making me a fearless and it worked! I fear nothing to this day! Thanks Dad!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 10-09-2009 at 10:53 PM.

I am enjoying reading your stories CS. They are a lot of fun to read especially after a hard days worth of work. Tell Mrs. Cowboy that I said hello and I will talk to her soon.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Story 4

I guess I was in the 4th grade before I got in my first fight. I was raised strict Southern Baptist..... I don't recall what started it at the time but I know now. Well there was some sort of disagreement that led to a fight. I got punched in the mouth. I had a full face of braces. Being of the lord I beleived I was to turn the other cheek and beleived it with my whole soul. Gary proceeded to beat my braces through my lips as I stood and held my trombone in it's case. I was a real mess before it was over and continued on my walk home from school. Mom doctored me up and was quite frantic. Dad was soon home and looked me over. He wanted to know what happened and I told him "Dad I turned the other cheek, Like jesus did" He was speachless... By morning I guess Dad had given it some thought and said "Son, I was wrong to teach you that, from now on if they start it you finish it, understand son" Well my face was wrecked so I understood readily. He said son you won't be in trouble for this you go to school and after school you give Gary everything he gave you. I went to school and was ridiculed all day.. by the end of school I was more than ready... But never said a word.. Gary began to pick as we all walked home as usual when....I let him have it! Not sure I was so convinced to fight again but I unloaded on him. Dad got home that night from work and and asked well son how was school I told him what had happened....soon after Dad got a call from the boys father. Dad invited him to our house. I peaked out my bedroom door as the men discussed what had happened when I heard Dad say "I think everything will be just fine now that the pecking order has been established" I never lost a fight against an individual again! Thanks Dad!

Thanks, Equus!

I am enjoying writing them and I'll tell MC she is visiting her sister tonight..

Well CS You sure can write!! Now don't try and give me any Cock and Bull story about... "BUT I'm not that good" 'cause I see it differently. You have the talent ol' boy!! You were just waiting for the "right story" to bring it out of you. CS just go with what you know, and you do just fine. You see it comes from the heart and it is plain to see for anyone who bothers to look. Those are usually the best stories my friend... the best stories.

I knew someone who wanted their family to know what it was like when they grew up (Like you are doing). So they wrote them out in a little booklet and had them printed and bound. I was fortunate enough to be able to read it and enjoyed every minute of it, kinda like now.

Blog Entries

Great stories Cowboy! I love reading stories like these. It reminds me of my childhood and all the good and bad times I had.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Take a seat friends..This story is long and quite painful for me. I believe it is one that needs to be told. I'd also like a to ask a MOD to move this thread to my blog, which has never been started, please move the whole thread.

I guess it all started 9 yrs. ago. I was married for the second time. I had a stepdaughter (Heather) I had raised for 4 yrs. Myself and her Mother got married upon the conception of my only blood child (Cheryl) The story will focus on the raising of (Cheryl) my only daughter. The day my daughter was born was the pinnacle of my life. I'll never forget that day on July 22, 2003. It wasn't long after an angel was born her mother and me were no longer the same as before. Her Mother has a distatchment disorder, which I soon became painfully aware of.

Some painful things ensued, basically my new wife, upon a 15k increase in pay at my job, I had really cared to achieve all I could on the job and placed having a family as a need to increase my pay. I had worked the job, at the time for 16 years. She took the increase as a blank check to buy myself a new vehicle she had picked out (I still drive it today, 10 yrs later) and herself and even newer SUV. So we are figuring on at least 40k in car payments upon the birth of my daughter. Within one year, my daughters first birthday everything was falling apart. My children were in daycare and the wife did not often work. I suppose about 3 months into my managemant career, I got the call....my Daughter was unconsious (spelling?) She was an infant less than a year old. Her Mother had not called an ambulance that day, while i was working 30 minutes away, but called me. I immediately called 911, and left work at speeds that will get a man killed. I rode sidewalks and anyway possible to get there. When I arrived there was no ambulance yet. I swept up my daughter which was now conscious and passed the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I answered the questions of abuse and how an Angel had gotten hurt. Things were never the same for myself and her mother. She had crossed a line I had drawn in the sand from the very beginning. (more To come, Please mods add this to my blog. I am going to need this one day, but can't write it all tonight)

thanks for sharing part of your life with us

CS - You have to start the blog. Just copy and past your words there. Once it is started a mod can edit it, but we cannot start it for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Story 5,

Rick was out squirrel hunting one day, and a game ranger spotted him. He parked his truck, and walked out into the woods where Rick was slowly stalking squirrels. The Ranger checked his hunting license, and it was all in order. Then he noticed that Rick didn't have a gun. Puzzled, the Ranger ask Rick, where is your gun son? Rick said, I dont use a gun Sir!
    This really puzzled the Ranger, so he asked Rick how he kills squirrels. Rick said, I ugly them to death Sir! The Ranger really didn't beleive this, so he asked Rick to show him how he does this. The ranger followed Rick through the Woods, and soon a red squirrel ran out on a low hanging limb, and Rick made an aweful face which killed the squirrel instantly. The Ranger caught up with Rick after seeing this happen, and said, that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, do you know anybody else that can do that?
    Rick said, well, my buddy Crash can ugly squirrels to death too! Then the Ranger asked, well why isn't he out here hunting with you? Rick thought a minute and said, man he tears the meat up too bad so I didn't bring him along!

Loving the stories Cowboy, keep on righting them!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

sniff. sniff. sniff. I smell a ban coming on.........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh my! Wouldn't that be an ugly thing to have happen!!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Story 1

A 9 yr. old begs his father to take him duckhunting after having received a used 12ga. 870 for Christmas.... His father finally complies and says "son I will take you soon". The son is overjoyed both by his Father agreeing to take him but more importantly surely this is a step towards being a man. He waits patiently knowing pestering his Father will only prolong the wait.

Weeks go by and his dreams are filled with ducks falling from the sky, staring at his new gun hanging over his bed he drifts off each night.

Finally one evening as his Father arrives home from work and he watches as his father reaches for the ammo cans...he knows this must be the day. His Father says; "son get your gun and remember to follow the rules we have been over."

"Yes Sir!"; the son replies.

It seems like forever as everything is loaded into the truck. "Come'on son we don't have long before dark.";The father says.

As the truck doors slam the Father says; " son listen to me...Where we are going there will be alot of squirrels, don't shoot the squirrels just wait quietly and listen and watch for ducks, I will be on the other side of the pond."

" Yes sir,"; the son replies.

The truck rolls up to a small pond surrounded by hardwoods. It s the most beautiful sunset. As they exit the truck the Father gives the son a box of handloads. "Son you see that tree over there closest to the bank,"
    " Yes Sir,"; the son excitedly exclaims!

Go sit under that tree and load your gun. Soon the ducks wil be flying!
    Yes sir, the son replies and is gone in a flash towards the tree. As the young boy sat he wondered where his Father had taken his stand and quickly loaded his gun as his Father has spent hours showing him. He was feeling like a man already! Soon out of the trees squirrels poured from every limb there must have been 30 right there and they seemed to all bark at the young boy. Running every which a way and all the while taunting the boy. He waited but no ducks in sight. He spotted several large squirrels playing chase and drew is shotgun firing 3 shots...He then turned to look for ducks still none insight, he waited patiently...suddenly he heard the truck start and the rumble of the big block as it groaned into the distance. He quickly gathered the seven squirrels he had shot and ran for where the truck had been to find....there was no truck. With his head hung low he thought as he knew it was a 4 mile walk home.

He began to walk. As he walked he wondered just how much trouble he was in. It grew darker and darker as he walked his only fear was his own conscience eating him alive. Arriving home he took the squirrels from his vest and held them high as he walked through the door to find his Father sitting in the recliner as usual. His Father replied nice squirrels.....and the son said why did you leave Dad. The father simply replied I told you not to shoot the squirrels. Lesson learned!
    I never ever saw a duck at that pond as I grew older...
    Good story. I had to pargraph it a little or it would give me a headache. Hahaha
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.