Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting with Shotgun Rifled Slug Barrel

How about rifled sabots vs. plain sabots in a smooth bore? If you are hunting deer with a shotgun then distances are not that great. Is there a difference between the two types of sabot rounds in the 40 yards or less shot?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How about rifled sabots vs. plain sabots in a smooth bore? If you are hunting deer with a shotgun then distances are not that great. Is there a difference between the two types of sabot rounds in the 40 yards or less shot?
    It is my understanding that the rifled slugs are designed for smooth bore and plain sabots are for a rifled barrell. I shot some rifled slugs (not sabots) in my rifled barrell and I can tell you the recoil was tremendous. That is when I realized they probably were meant for smoothbore. I haven't found any real good references I could throw out to support what I am saying but I am pretty sure of it. My huntin' buddy tried one of my non rifled sabots in a smoothbore and missed a deer clean. He is usually a good shot. That right there kind of confirmed my hypothesis.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I don't like the sabots in a smoothbore, rifled or otherwise, much less accurate and powerful IMO. but, at 40 yards or less I doubt it would make too much difference other than takedown power. I don't like the sabots in a rifled barrel either, LOL!

I was in the store the other day and it's amazing how many different slugs are now available. It's almost impossible to find the plain ole Remington Sluggers/ slugsters that are the best IMO in both a rifled barrel and a smoothbore.

Sabots are the most accurate of ANY type slugs in a rifled barrel. Rifled slugs are intended for a smooth bore. That clears it all up. Best.

Blog Entries

You are certainly correct Glockcop. They should just call them "rifled/smoothy slugs" and "sobots".
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

buuuttttttt the government just has to make it complicated always like day light savings
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Years ago I saw a movie where a gunfighter fills hollow point tips with wax in an effort to make them mushroom and improve ballistics...I can't remeber what movie. Ever hear of this?
    Don't know the movie but have been told that if you fill a hollow point with ground glass and seal it with wax you'll get almost 200% more expansion. Haven't tried it....... YET!!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Don't know the movie but have been told that if you fill a hollow point with ground glass and seal it with wax you'll get almost 200% more expansion. Haven't tried it....... YET!!
    Hmmmmm don't give me any ideas.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

SABOT are best 4" drop at 100 yards in my 1300win.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...