Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Georgia

Default Greetings from Georgia

Hey guys just thought I'd introduce myself, or rather make my presence known considering I have nothing to contribute at this time but I'm gathering all the information I can for my journey.

My idea is to live off of the land in the TN mountains sooner than later more than likely as I will be resigning from the corporate snake in the near future to pursue my real intrests in life, primative survival.

Thanks for all of the help you may have already given me while I get back to researching!

Your friend, Nothing Clever.

Welcome home. You might want to read through these threads if you are considering quitting your job and living in the wilderness full time.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=6837

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=8382
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hello and welcome. Since you have quite a journey planned, and if you intend to seek advice or information that will help you along the way - you may want to provide a bit more information about your self. You can use this as a guide.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of information here from those who have made such a journey. This is a great place to read, learn and practice knowledge and skills.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hello and welcome

Hello and Welcome from a former Ga. Boy!!

Welcome! I'm also a fellow student!
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forum...........

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and links to advice!

crashdive123, what sort of information would you like?

I picked up Tom Browns Field Guide yesterday after work. Has anyone read this? It seems like a decent book.

I am allocating myself $100 to spend on supplies to get started. I read a lot about "you need this, you need that" and nearly everytime I read them it seems someone has something different, be it fishing line or rope of some sort. What are the absolute basic necessities to get my by while I start off?

Quote Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and links to advice!

crashdive123, what sort of information would you like?

I picked up Tom Browns Field Guide yesterday after work. Has anyone read this? It seems like a decent book.

I am allocating myself $100 to spend on supplies to get started. I read a lot about "you need this, you need that" and nearly everytime I read them it seems someone has something different, be it fishing line or rope of some sort. What are the absolute basic necessities to get my by while I start off?
    Take a look at the link I posted. It's asticky at the top of the Introduction page. Share what you're comfortable with sharing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi NothingClever,
    I'm a GA boy myself, though I live in the southernmost part of GA. If theres any way I can help just gimme a holler.

The best thing IMO to start off is KNOWLEDGE. you will need to know fire-making and tending, hunting and foraging, how to make cordage, and how to make some type of blade. Tanning is helpful for clothing needs, and you will need shelter. You should be able to find fresh water in the mountains so that shouldn't be a problem.
    I'm sure most folks will agree on the 4 basic necessities: food and water, clothing, shelter, and fire.

tell us more about your level of experience and the things you already know and that will help us give you better direction to information.
    I wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If you'll take the time to read through the links that were posted it will answer many of your questions.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Take a look at the link I posted. It's asticky at the top of the Introduction page. Share what you're comfortable with sharing.
    I'm 100% comfortable sharing anything you may like to know. I'm a male, 22...Lived in Georgia all of my life. I love the outdoors but the hectic lifestyle that I've unwillingly choosen to live (working a 12 hour job 6 days a week) has left me feeling like a slave to the almighty dollar and has gotten me out of touch with how beautiful nature can be.

As a child I loved to hunt and fish, I just generally loved the outdoors but now life and its many problems are swallowing me whole and I just want to get away from all of it and find challenges in myself. I just want to impress myself rather than a boss.

I can't say that I know an awful lot about what I'm getting myself into but I know that I'll need shelter/water and food. I'm going to go read the rest of the links and go to the local park to try my hand at fire making.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    hi NothingClever,
    I'm a GA boy myself, though I live in the southernmost part of GA. If theres any way I can help just gimme a holler.

The best thing IMO to start off is KNOWLEDGE. you will need to know fire-making and tending, hunting and foraging, how to make cordage, and how to make some type of blade. Tanning is helpful for clothing needs, and you will need shelter. You should be able to find fresh water in the mountains so that shouldn't be a problem.
    I'm sure most folks will agree on the 4 basic necessities: food and water, clothing, shelter, and fire.

tell us more about your level of experience and the things you already know and that will help us give you better direction to information.
    I wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Thank you so much.

I know how to make basic shelters...I know what's needed to insulate them as well. I think in order to survive I need to learn how to make fire so I can keep myself warm, cook food, boil water and so forth.

I am also working on the basic knowledge of edible/medicinal plants in our area and how to make traps for animals.

Howdy from another Georgia boy!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

Hello and welcome to the asylum
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Hey guys, just thought I would update anyone interested.

I took what money I had (and boy was it nothing) and ventured north towards the Tennessee mountains. I have lived there for several months. I spent the Spring and Summer of 2010 wholeheartedly in the wilderness and might I say it was an amazing and at times a frightening journey.

I have moved back down to Georgia 30 miles from my previous location in a nice town called Athens (home of the University of Georgia) so that I could better prepare for the Winters ahead and well, let us be honest for a moment...I downright missed my grandmother. I told her before I left that I would be moving away for a while but I had no idea it would be as long as it was.

I'd like to share my information with anyone interested in a journey similar to mine.

Welcome back NC.
    I look forward to your stories of adventure. Now honestly, was it all it was cracked up to be?

Blog Entries

How about writing a Blog of your experiences? I'm sure there's plenty of us would like to know how you got on.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.