Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Knife in Progress

Default New Knife in Progress

Some of you have seen this one in another post. I have gotten a little more done...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I got the forge really hot for this one, perhaps too hot!

Missed the violent quench pic!

The results of my efforts was a surface that i had worked for weeks to be scratch and defect free turning into what looked like molten steel bubbles!

It is as hard as a rock though hmm..I ain't sanding all that off so it was left in place. I then died hardwood handle red.

I sanded a bit but it was fruitless as the blade was too hard....Thought about temporing but decided to give it a try not tempered not sure if i will or not. I sharpened the blade with a wet stone followed by my Arkansas...Rubbed some brown shoepolish into the wood and melted it in. I also used cold blue on the blade after sanding. Not sure I like it the way it is, not sure i don't but here it is as it is in it's unfinished progress.

I would enjoy reading comments or idea's.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

The only thing I don't like about it are the "bubbles" on the blade. And, really, that isn't so bad. Just not used to seeing them on a blade, I guess. The bluing is fine and the scales look good. I like the overall shape and I'll bet it's pretty well balanced. At least it looks like it is. Come to think of it, the "bubbles" sort of look like moons and planets. You could call it "Luna". It would fit.

EDIT: Dang. The more I look at it the more I like it.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah! I don't care for the bubbles either.... it isn't finished though the handle is not epoxied in place so I can piddle with it some more and with enough elbow grease the bubbles could be removed. One thing I really like it is very light and the blade has a flat grind (MINUS BUBBLES) that comes to a really thin edge. It sharpened well and handles nice in your hand. If I only had a belt sander! This was shaped mostly with hand files and sandpaper...I will definately be doing more so again any idea's are welcome...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

the bubbling effect adds character and aesthetically i kind of like it, but i've never seen that happen in my very limited experience of heat treatment.

how did the hardness turn out?

i don't think i read before; what source material did you use?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I actually like the bubbles. Kind of unique.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The steel is unknown but I am guessing chrome vanadium 5160. It is very hard but doesn't seem too brittle. It took awhile to sharpen but did take a good edge...haven't used it yet to see if it'll hold an edge but that is next. I'll probably try and polish most of the bubble effect out. I still want to do more with the scales too. I am learning and have been searching and it looks like it may have lost contact with the quench due to boiling. I was quenching in veggie oil and antifreeze it worked for me before. It could of been worse it could have shattered or even melted in the forge so all is not lost.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I actually like the bubbles. Kind of unique.
    It looked 'wild' coming out of the quench before i got the scale off. If you look about mid blade it really didn't "bubble" but it had a heavy scale that flaked off.

Blog Entries

Looks good Cowboy. A belt grinder would knock them bubbles off quick. I don't know what could have happened there. Did you make sure the blade was clean of any soap, wd-40 etc...? That may have had an effect during quenching. Your finishing work is getting better. Keep up the good work. A craftsman 2x42 grinder is what I use. It is no where near a KMG grinder but for 130 bucks it does the job.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Looks good Cowboy. A belt grinder would knock them bubbles off quick. I don't know what could have happened there. Did you make sure the blade was clean of any soap, wd-40 etc...? That may have had an effect during quenching. Your finishing work is getting better. Keep up the good work. A craftsman 2x42 grinder is what I use. It is no where near a KMG grinder but for 130 bucks it does the job.
    It is a really weird effect....The bubbles are actually raised from the surface. I didn't clean it before forging but I would think I acheived around 1600 deg. F or non magnetic and anything should have burn't off. I think I am gonna leave them. It'll make for good conversation around the campfire one day. Yeah I have decided that if I persue this craft anymore a belt sander is a must. My file is old and has moved alot of metal over the years!

i sort of think you might only expect that kind of reaction from a seriously heterogenous mixture of metals. looks almost damascene.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing about it looking like a damascus pattern.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

The steel came from a pair of L.S. Starret Inside Calipers. They are known for the quality in materials and workmanship other than that I have no idea..

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Flat grind and nice and hard, for a user can't complain about that. I use a knife to slice, skin and general use so I like a hard, thin blade. I don't split wood, chop or throw so that is about what I make to use. I personally like the looks of it. Guess I will finish a few I have hardened if I ever get caught up. I like it just the way it is, ain't a wallhanger but a type I would use.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Good tools are a lot like guys, I guess. They don't have to be pretty they just have to work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

yes, but some of us are blessed with both options... unlike some of my tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Flat grind and nice and hard, for a user can't complain about that. I use a knife to slice, skin and general use so I like a hard, thin blade. I don't split wood, chop or throw so that is about what I make to use. I personally like the looks of it. Guess I will finish a few I have hardened if I ever get caught up. I like it just the way it is, ain't a wallhanger but a type I would use.
    Thanks Coot! I have been sittin' here sharpenin' it and am pretty sure the tool is exactly what I was after. Once I can get it to an oak board I'll know for sure....Wife stopped me from whitlin' in the office. It seems to take a nice slow edge that'll hold! I am gonna finish it and move on to some of the chores around here. I ain't got to much time to be sandin' on something if it'll work just as you suggested!

...bubbles, how long did you leave it in the oil / anti-freeze bath? I had a similar effect with water in my oil bath. I'm not sure if that was the cause of the bubbles or the fact that I left it in the bath to cool.

Anyway, I like your knife.

Blog Entries

I'm jealous.

You knife makers are awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I'm jealous.

You knife makers are awsome.
    Workin' on the sheath now to give myself options it will be a horizontal carry sheath as I have plenty to carry vertically somehow it seems safer on horse back to boot. The envy is replicated each time you post a new bow!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Workin' on the sheath now to give myself options it will be a horizontal carry sheath as I have plenty to carry vertically somehow it seems safer on horse back to boot. The envy is replicated each time you post a new bow!
    Amen to that! Both FVR and Candid.
    -Frank