Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Knife in Progress

Pancho have you ever tried using valve lapping compound to polish out sanding scratches? I tried it today and it works great.

Cowboy I don't care what anyone says, I like the"Bubble" look and have since I first laid eyes on it. Only problem now is that I want one!! I really wish someone knew how the "Bubble" pattern was formed so the process could be duplicated. I like the design, shape, and size, as well.

Thanks Poco, It does kinda grow on you. I have decided to leave the blade as is. I beleive what caused it was boiling. The quench was vegetable oil and new generation antifreeze. I didn't mix it well enough this time. I can't be positive but I beleive as I dropped the knife in the quench it boiled the antifreeze in the bottom of the container preventing good contact with the blade. As the bubbles rose through the oil they did not disrupt contact with the blade until they exited the oil floating on top of the antifreeze where they once again disrupted contact. Thus the middle of the blade has fewer blisters. So I would recommend for anyone wanting to try and recreate the patterning use either antifreeze and vegetable oil 50/50 or maybe straight antifreeze. Care should be taken not to inhale the escaping gasses.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dezertdude View Post
    Pancho have you ever tried using valve lapping compound to polish out sanding scratches? I tried it today and it works great.
    I haven't, I am not sure I even know what that compound is. It sounds interesting.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

It's an abrasive paste.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am gonna call my knife the "Full Moon" it has passed the first test of edge holding capability..It cut it's own sheath and may very well be my fav of all my knives!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

the bubbles give it a uniqe look
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

UPDATE: My knife is brittle, I tried stiking a firesteel aggressively and decided to temper it @ 425 for an hour. I will report on the results, it held an edge good but chipped if I struck something hard. The chips were microscopic but not quite what I wanted it to be. Waiting now to find out the result. I am gonna water quech it as I read it worked well...