Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Fun Camp Cooking Ideas for Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Heck - he ate some of it at the Jamboree!
    Well I for one will need proof of this scouting outing to reveal my secret recipes....maybe I am wrong and you guys just gave him the so so recipes and are still hoarding the reALLY GOOD ONES!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Nah. Good food, good recipes, good spirits - all worth sharing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banana Boats......

Oh, yeah!? Well, same to you!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by COUESAZ View Post
    Banana Boats......
    This?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just did Outdoor Leadership Skills training this last weekend. I didn't learn much, but I did learn a few things.

We cooked an egg in an onion shell.
    We cooked chicken on a rock.
    We cooked an omelet in a freezerbag in boiling water.

Also, when I am with scouts, I generally do a breakfast taco breakfast in a dutch oven (when not backpacking). Basically cut up bacon and cook in dutch oven. Then cut up potatoes and add to bacon and cook. Then cut up peppers and onions and whatever else. Then when the bacon is cooked, and there is a bunch of grease still in the oven, scramble eggs with it all. Then heat tortillas with cheese on top on the lid of the dutch oven, and serve. Every time I have done this, one boy will say he doesn't like onions, and another will say he doesn't like peppers, but they will all eat it and love it.

I try and stay away from briquets. I want to show the boys how to cook with a real fire.

There are lots of websites with Dutch oven cooking. I think my district even has one on their website. Giving a few websites to the leaders would be a good idea.

As for ultralite, I only have one recommendation. Read this site.
    Trailcooking.

Good luck. Our roundtable is on the 1st.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Default Complicated

Just fill a canteen cup halfway or so with water. Place some pine needles in and boil. Viola! Pine Needle Tea. Yeh, I know; it wasn't good when had to drink it to pass survival training. Nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks again for all of the suggestions...

I'll be doing a presentation to the Grand River District, Greater Western Reserve Council on October 8, 2009. The attendees will be - Scoutmasters, Parent Committee members, and Cub Scout leaders.

I'm currently registered with the BSA as:
    Assistant Scoutmaster: Troop-5 Madison, OH
    District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner: Grand River District, GWRC

I've been working as an adult leader for the past 15 years.

I'm always looking for ideas that may stimulate the interest of the boys in the fundamentals of Scouting and woods skills. This forum has been of help in the past and I don't hesitate to ask for help again. Please feel free to contribute at what ever level you see fit, your contributions will go to good use. Thanks...
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 09-30-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

earth-oven, pit cooking and under fire cooking are versatile, fun and let you demonstrate the use of plants in cooking for purposes other than eating or burning, when it comes to wrapping, covering, etc.

don't mind me; i just woke up .75 cups of coffee ago.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

I like the pit cooking idea, I've used cornstalk leaves to wrap pork in for pit cooking.
    "Just Get Out!"

You can use aluminum foil as well.

Old GI, I love pine needle tea. It was a great suggestion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

same here. i usually have a supply of them on hand, for that and for making tamales.

when i lived in san francisco, you could get cheap, fresh banana leaves for cooking at many of the markets which sold asian produce.

there are so many option for wraping leaves, and when that fails, you can also set the food to be cooked on a layer of smaller leaved non-toxic plants, cover with another layer, then add the embers/ashes.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Banana leave are a bit tough to get around here. Now cornstalks in Ohio, no problem.
    "Just Get Out!"

Quote Originally Posted by Canid
    you can also set the food to be cooked on a layer of smaller leaved non-toxic plants, cover with another layer,
    You could, of course, use toxic plants but boy scouts dropping left and right will sort of put a damper on the whole outing.

yeah, save that for the end of the demonstration, when you need to clear everybody out.