Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: not another knife thread...

it's easy to work if you don't want a sharp, durable edge.

i actually find obsidian and glass easier.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

neck knife progress:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

i've roughed it out, aside from the loop, which will come soon [don't have the tooling for it at present, but i can borrow].

i have started the blade bevel. and began rounding the edges.

soon, i'll have to harden and temper, then slowly wet-grind the final blade bevel and sand. i can't polish it yet either, but that will come soon enough.

this won't be a knife to brag about, but that's alright by me.
    Last edited by canid; 10-31-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Nice progress. I like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looks great Canid, I can't wait to see it finished. I like the size of it. I haven't gotten down to small knives yet. Still trying to put away the machete' I'd also like to see the sheath.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

i'm waiting on the establishment of a new forge or furnace before i get to work on the leafspring i have. it's got parang written all over it.

I can see it now. Sharpened blade at the drill press making the hole. Drill sticks in metal. Knife become spinning blade of death!!!!!

Just kidding (I hope). It's going to look great when you're done!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i'm trying now to decide on whether i will proceed with the finger loop, or make a bulbous wood scale handle.

after feeling it in my hand, it fits great as is, without a finger loop.

as for the spinning blade of death, i've already got enough of them.

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Canid,

I finally found these pics. Amazing! Absolutely amazing.

FVR,

I enjoyed your pics too.

Thank you both for sharing them.

Hugs,
    Canid's mom

well i've got the knife hardened and tempered. i don't know how well the temper worked out, but it doesn't seem to chip on the blade readily [i'm sure i could, but i don't need to try that hard]

i have yet to see how durable the edge is, but it's had it's first real sharpening and i can shave a clean swath down my arm with it.

it got a fine sanding followed by a preliminary polishing, but i need a polishing wheel; it's a lot of work by hand.

i roughed out some cherry scales. i'm going to make a relatively slim bulbous scale handle for it. i still have to drill out two rivet holes, and it may be worth my while to soften the tang for that, though i don't know, i do have some carbide bits.

i'll probably update with pictures soon, with any new information and finally with the handle when it's done. i don't have the leather for a sheath yet, but i have an idea in mind.

almost forgot, i heated the blade for hardening by blowing into an oak wood fire with a troll pole [length of tubing for directing air into a fire to accellerate burning, like a manual bellows].

it took my breath away. seriously, i almost passed out by the time it was up to temp.

I've seen that method used before with two people tag teaming, so as to not pass out. Looking forward to seeing the new pics.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That would make a nice little companion knife it you could stitch an additional sheath to the outside of the existing one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

it would, though so far i have a neck sheath in mind for this one.

as you could imagine, it won't take much leather for the sheath either way, i just need to get ahold of some.

Looks great! looking forward to the neck knife sheath!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

i'm half ready to cannibalize the leather from my saddle-bags. i with i still had my synthetic pair handy.

If you've got a cobbler or some other craftsman that works with leather you might be able to pick up some free scraps.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that just might be the best idea i never had.

A while back at a garage sale, I saw, but did not get an old pair of all leather combat boots. They were fifty cents - might have been able to get a couple of small sheaths out of something like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And, of course, Goodwill or some other thrift store might have a pair of leather boots for very little.

The knife is coming along very well!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.