Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: not another knife thread...

Default not another knife thread...

this is one of my favorites, and a great use for an old porcelain sink. toilets work too, just don't use the inside bits...

i've gradually worked on this for about a year i think. every once in a while i just pick it back up and do or add something to it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

and my sgain dubh:

i did a poor job on the lettering here. i made one straight and one 1/5 circle punch, and was being assaulted by wasps while working on it. add to that that the antler was very old and pretty brittle and you can probably understand. the words are from an english translation of the Declaration of Arbroath. for my sgain dubve, it is the Scotish equivalent of 'from my cold, dead hands'. i will not be asked to remove this knife for any reason. if i am going somewhere a knife i not appropriate, i would have taken it off already.

the engraving, done with a fine burin, was filled with a mixture of wood ash and saliva. this same mixture was used to fill the lettering.

i certainly didn't make the sheath. it was given to me by a friend with a knife that has since been lost.

the blade is stainless from art pewter of Scotland.
    Last edited by canid; 09-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Outstanding work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Actually, I find both the lettering and the knife pretty danged cool!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the antler was from a buck my great uncle or great grandfather took many years ago.

i know this was just shameless showing off, but come on, they're not that great. i enjoyed the heck out of making them though.
    Last edited by canid; 09-28-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Anyone who has worked with antler knows it to be the most difficult handle to make. I enjoyed the post quite alot. I am sitting working on a new blade now, no antler handle though....I will have to regain my composure after the last one before attempting another. Maybe it was because it was full tang. Maybe the next one I'll try something else. For this newest one i am using split hardwood from the backyard campfire. I have shaped the handle with only my Mora. I'll post it when it is finished. Them instructionals are alot of work!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

can't wait to see it.

no full tang on my blade, sgain dubhs tend to have cast plastic handles these days [cryin' shame] and mine had a half length tang with two indentations in the side near the end of it to serve as an anchor. i had to set it into the antler with epoxy.

I like your work too. How many mediums have you used to make a blade?

For those half tang blades I have welded on a little extra. If that helps?

Blog Entries

Rebel,

Looks good. Great minds think alike. I just finished two flint knives and a mess of knife blades.

Next project, to take the HB pioneer knife that is made for throwing but looks a little like the Hudson Bay knife, turn it into a Hudson Bay knife.

Oneday I might just get the smell of antler out of my nose.
    Last edited by FVR; 09-28-2009 at 09:55 PM.

steel, stone, glass and porcelain.

Nice work Frank.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Thanks Crash.

I may have posted this before.

I one time traded an otter skin that was hit to a guy for an osage fence post and a chunk of Eng. flint.

When I told my wife, she just started to laugh.

"I don't believe that you traded Roadkill for Sticks and Stones, and you both walked away happy."

Oneday I might just get the smell of antler out of my nose.
    never happen.

The first antler handle I made......smelled like I was in a dentist office for about a week.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

LOL........

I used a rotary hand grinder on an elk antler last week, elect., antler, burnt antler.....ewwwwwwww.

Stuck the grinder in the truck, not mine.........LOL.........I know I'm going to get a few comments.

filling the room with smoke of hardwood now! smells a little better than antler, kinda asphyxiating...not sure if that is spelled right...but it'll have to do.. Nice work Canid and FVR..I am listening and learning and pretty proud of my teachers!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Great job Candid and FVR. I love primitive knives. I wish I had time to try my hand at one of those and a bow. I have a piece of antler, a blade with a thin hidden tang, but am afraid that the deer antler is not strong enough for say cutting thick fuzz sticks. They look very sturdy and well made and look like they could cut very well. My hats off to you two gentlemen, you are both very talented. I would definetly want to be in your clan should SHTF.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

new handle i'm working on. i have too many crappy stainless knives with cast plastic handles. some of them have blades worth using.

That looks like it will be great when you are done.

I picked up some alligator bones and jawbones this past week end that look like the will make some pretty good handles. Guess I've got to start whittling down the project list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

you're going to start whittling too..? man you're going to be one busy cat.

Gotta finish Rebel Chick's knife. Then there's a project for Old Soldier, involving paracord. Then there's the five rusty cast iron pans (free) that I need to bring back to life. Got most of the parts I need for a new forge I want to make. Then there's..........

Oh yeah, gotta work in there from time to time as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel