Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newest Bow

Dude you are amazing ever think of selling these
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

i do sell them sometimes.

as i'm learning, i'm putting together a small business to help support the addiction.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I am very impressed! I am too stubborn about making my own stuff or I'd be asking you what you want for it! I am sucking this up like a sponge!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

i'm now gluing on antler tip overlays.

i've have to leave this indoors a couple days now. during that day of overcast we had here the wood took on a bit more moisture. pics comming soon.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

here are a few pictures beginning the tiller.

on the tillering stick, getting ready:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

at 12" on the long string:

Your bowling ball seems a bit dusty. Nice work on the bow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Looking good.

That reminds me, need to get some lighter fluid so I can get the smoker up and smoke some venison and salmon.

Thanks.

nice; i wish i had your problems

true story, until the 15th of november on the river we have a generous bag limit of 1 salmon and 0 trout.

where they stick it to you though is in reality; you won't catch one.

if this bow turns out as i am hoping, it will likely go to toostiepop.

i'll be starting on a few more as i tiller this one. one of them is a special one.

Blog Entries

Lovely bow Canid, takes me back to my archery days. Any chance you'd ship overseas??
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Very nice. You really do some nice work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

haha, i could, but it would cost more than the bow. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Candid View Post
    if this bow turns out as i am hoping, it will likely go to toostiepop.
    Last edited by Tootsiepop254; 10-16-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

sorry for the delay. with this damp weather i've been letting the bow dry a bit before getting too far with the tiller. it is shaping up well. i expect to get back to it early this morning.

it's early in the tiller still, but it's looking like finishing out about 45-50lb of draw. with that walnut on there i don't want to over-stress the back.
    Last edited by canid; 10-16-2009 at 11:50 PM.

here it is at i think 15" on the short string. the tiller is half done [most of the work done in the last two hours]

i need to get more bend in the outer half of the lower limb, and throughout the upper.

the weight is looking a bit light, and it might finish out closer to 40lb. @ 28"

What's the difference between the "long string" and the "short string" (besides length)?

If you make a mistake on the tiller do you use tiller filler? (Ha!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you make a mistake on the tiller do you use tiller filler?
    hah indeed! i wish.

the long string is a string about the length of the bow, so that you can begin bending the bow from a starting point of no resistence [bend] and work along by the inch.

once you are tillered safely to your brace point [the profile the bow should have when strung] you can switch to a short string, at or near the length of the final string to be used. from that point, you can see [and adjust] the way the bow will finally bend as it's being drawn.

Thank you. Learning is almost painless on here. Very nice job on the bow!!

thank you sir.