Thread: armillariella mella (honey mushroom)

Default armillariella mella (honey mushroom)

so i went to the bush with the 3 amigos again today, had found some shrooms the other day (brown spore print) not what i was looking for then bang all over the place and just like that my mind connected, yes the honey mushroom, i knew that they was what i was looking for but for scientific studies i did a spore print and it is white, thin veil little black hair like on top and black rhizomorphs.
    took a dozen pics for my research, now the fun begins, sure i have studied them i have positive identification of them and i harvested them, but now what, boyy did i have to scramble, turns out only the caps are edible stalks to tough to eat, so i am going to boil in slightly slated water for a couple of minutes then will most likely dry above the wood stove, although i will cook up a small amount for edibility test.
    funny what different books have to say about this mushroom some say eat some say don't ha what do books know, well here goes nothin
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I hear they don't agree with some folks, especially if not cooked long enough. I tried a small amount once, but wasn't too impressed. Actually, I was scared to eat em. I hear the buttons are best and some folks really like em. The only shroom I worry about confusing them with is the deadly Galerina, but spore printing eliminates that threat.

I haven't seen any this fall, just a few loners in July.

my advice: only harvest the young caps, leave the rest behind. less gastric upset, better flavor and texture.

one of my favorite mushrooms for cream of mushroom soup.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Ya know what could be done with all your pictures Wareagle? Huh huh? You know right....?

http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/

There are 3 mushrooms on the list.... 3... that imbalance needs correcting. I know diddly about mushrooms though, other than the fact that I don't eat them. (yes, I'm one of those people).

Banned

OK my cheffy senses are tingling, One thing to remember with wild mushrooms you should never add alcohol in the cooking process nor as a drink along with them. Many wild mushrooms are fine until you add the alcohol then they become toxic. One of the "foolproof 3" inky caps is a prime example.

actually, a few random, and non-re-creatable incidents aside [e.g. Prof. Gordon Hilman's reaction to an unidentifid or unknown species of Psathyrella], this is only true of the coprinoid species known to contain coprine.

they don't become toxic per-se [coprine is not considered a toxin] but interfere with the metabolism of ethanol's secondary metabilite: acetaldehyde [which is a toxin, and one of the causes of hangover symptoms], resulting in dramatically elevated levels in the body.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

so i got to thinking just now, i think the honey mushroom is my first foray into eating a shroom other than the foolproof four or five all depending on your theories, i have had all except the shaggy mane, just can't wrap my head around something called the inky cap.
    so i boiled up the mushrooms the other night, then got very busy so they sat in the refer until i made some hashbrowns bacon and eggs this am so i fried them up in some bacon grease and man oh man gooooooddddd , but i restrained myself from eating too much. i have eaten them before someone i know picks them all the time but they are far away so i had to rely on my own research to verify the true nature of these guys. sure hope i was right hehehehe, actually i am pretty confident on this, i am remindedof a quote from a guy named joel from risky buisness "sometimes ya just gotta say what the **** and to me this is one of those times i did my research and i stand by it
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-27-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Keeping it PG-13

Or pass out by it...just sayin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

paitence sucks (drumming fingers on desk) those mushrooms tasted so good , but i have waited 24 hrs no ill effects, had pasta last night really wanted to put mushrooms on my spagatti (itallion accent) ih well have more noodles left over can put more honey shrooms on today

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

if you described them accurately, they are in the A. mellea complex, there isn't any question. the only thing you might have to worry about would be gastric upset, which would have occurred shortly after eating them.

well i think enough time has past that i can now consider this mushroom among my list of edibles that i will be using more often

I've had a slight reaction to hericium, hen of the woods and blewits. But, it was a one time deal. I've ate plenty since and no problems.

glad you found something new to add to the diet.

All this talk about honeys and I found a fresh batch of buttons today. Gonna give em a try for the second time in my life tomorrow.

glad this thread came back into the screen, now i know the date llast yr,so i still have another month before they show up, hopefully

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    OK my cheffy senses are tingling, One thing to remember with wild mushrooms you should never add alcohol in the cooking process nor as a drink along with them. Many wild mushrooms are fine until you add the alcohol then they become toxic. One of the "foolproof 3" inky caps is a prime example.
    Thats very nice to know. I dont eat mushrooms anyway but defiantly cool to know.

" Oh , Honey want some wine and mushrooms?"

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    actually, a few random, and non-re-creatable incidents aside [e.g. Prof. Gordon Hilman's reaction to an unidentifid or unknown species of Psathyrella], this is only true of the coprinoid species known to contain coprine.

they don't become toxic per-se [coprine is not considered a toxin] but interfere with the metabolism of ethanol's secondary metabilite: acetaldehyde [which is a toxin, and one of the causes of hangover symptoms], resulting in dramatically elevated levels in the body.
    well said.........

There are reports of folks having adverse reactions when consuming Black morels with alcohol as well. But, who cares? Eat, drink, be merry!

We've had three nights of temps in the 50's with a heavy morning dew and to me that means fall shrooms, regardless of time of year. Honeys, hens and the others should be showing up any day now here.

yes, but they are isolated, random and infrequent. there are hundreds of people each year who have adverse reactions to safe mushrooms [and every other food] without a discernable co-factor. take the guy who got a priapism after eating Laetiporus sulphureus.