Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Chick's Knife

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Thanks cowboy, I might try that, or crash's. Either way, I think I can make one without spending any money.
    Despite opposing opinions if you go the route of using coals you will need the air blast to reach critical or non-magnetic a simple fire is not enough.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Despite opposing opinions if you go the route of using coals you will need the air blast to reach critical or non-magnetic a simple fire is not enough.
    Well, I don't have a hair dryer that will fit in a pipe. My wife uses one that has a long narrow exit, not a tube exit. But, I did try something tonight that might work. I simply took my little power fan that we use to blow air on us in the summer, and put it on high over the coals. Those suckers got real hot for a while. I don't know if it was hot enough. But, it looked cool.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I’ve started working on the sheath. It probably won’t be anything fancy, but decided that I would use some bees wax to seal it. Since I had a bee job this week/weekend the opportunity presented itself to get some wax. I’ll post a few pictures of the process that I use to separate the honey from the wax. Sadly, the honey is contaminated and can’t be used. The hole you see is in the ceiling of a first floor room. I pulled about 75 pounds of honey and comb out of the overhead. The hive was about 7 feet long.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

7 feet?! Man, those little cowboys have been busy for a while. You have to find a non-contaminating spray or something. That's a LOT of honey to go to waste. Imagine what that would be like in your pantry. Mmmmmmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sometimes I can remove a couple of slabs before I kill em. This time, with kids in the house - didn't want to take a chance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kids, Smids. It's honey! Besides, the kids will keep the bees busy while you scoop up the honey and the wax. Just keep the kids tied up close by and....oh, wait....never mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

mmmm! man that looks good! to bad kids were around. that reminds me, theres a tree stump thats about 8ft high off a trail in the hills behind my house thats full of honey comb. im too scared to mess with those guys though, i have no bee gear so they can keep their honey.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    mmmm! man that looks good! to bad kids were around. that reminds me, theres a tree stump thats about 8ft high off a trail in the hills behind my house thats full of honey comb. im too scared to mess with those guys though, i have no bee gear so they can keep their honey.
    While the bee suit helps, if you make em mad enough you will get stung. Got about six today - that's OK though, I charge by the sting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I've cut a few bee trees and it ain't worth it. Hard work with an axe, dirt & bees in the honey and plenty of stings. A couple of hives, queen excluder to supers and above all those sweet Italian bees, not the mean black ones.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

They are pretty easy to tell apart. The Italian ones say things like Arrivederci or Buongiorno while the mean black ones says things like, Yo! Waz up? Just sayin'....

Crash have you ever thought of using a Smoker like Beekeepers use? It does help to make them a little more docile.They also make a full body suit that will prevent stings, at least they used to. Might be too hot in summer though. Almost all my Uncles had bee yards when I was growing up,I even helped one on occasion. This is a site that has all the basics. Suits,smokers,meds, ETC.
    http://www.beekeepingstarterkit.com/

And, of course, there is the self flaming suit that is sure to keep stings to a minimum.

Poco - I have used a smoker, and it does help. This was not an application where I could use one. I do wear a full bee suit. The problem was twofold. One - it was in the mid 90's, so I had sweated through the suit and the wet cloth was just sticking to me. Two - they were really pizzed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The next step is to separate the wax and honey. Using a vertical press (I’ll make one for my next batch) is more efficient, but this is what I had on hand. The comb is kind of like little packing bubbles, except they are filled with honey. By pushing the comb through the hardware cloth it breaks all of the individual cells. The netting catches the wax, allowing the honey to drip through to the pan below. It should be ready in about 3 days. All of the bee parts that are in the wax will be skimmed off during the melting.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

That looks nasty! Like barf. Its really cool though. I have never even thought of attempting this and would like to see this process. Thanks for posting pics Crash!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Sweet! (get it? Honey? Sweet?)

Can't you vacuum the bees out of the hive and save the honey? Probably won't be too good on the bees but you kill them anyway, right? Looks like you could rig up a vacuum machine that would save the bees, honey and wax. Then you could sell the bees and keep the honey and the wax. Win/win/win/win (if you include the bees' point of view).

Rick - if I can access the comb without any treating at all - just smoke - the bees can be gently brushed off with a paddle or stick. It's when I have to spray first that I end up with dead bees mixed in the comb. An example would be that feral hive that Your Comfort Company found. Just harvest one or two pieces of comb. You will always know where the store is for more honey when you need it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thanks for posting those pics. thats a neat setup I could come up with from stuff around the house. Please keep us posted with more pics as you go through the process.
    It is too bad about the bees, they are such a vital part of our ecosystem.
    just fyi, beeswax down here is about 7 bucks a lb.
    there was a fella over in the next town who had a nest about that size in an old chimney. It was in a room they never use so they hadn't noticed till the beez started coming through the door into the house. heck, you might have been the exterminator they called for all I know lol
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Here’s the finished product. I’m still learning as I go. Hopefully the next one will be better. Hope you enjoy it RC.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

beautiful, as i expected.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.