Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Chick's Knife

Those scales look great! Kickin' myself for not trying it...working on some hardwood scales now. Thinking of boiling them in pine sap as a treatment?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

that is a burly thing crash, and it is beautiful. well done.

RC: congrats.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Wow, that's nice.

You could go into business just making scales. Those things are awesome. I like the whole knife but your scales are kick a$$.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That is georgous! I love it! Thank you so much.

Blog Entries

Crash. If you want you could get a piece of 2x4 about 4" long and grind an angle on it and screw the knife to it. Scribe your lines first then just pass it on the grinder backand fourth until you get to the lines. You should leave about the thickness of a dime. I use this when I am doing a grind that is only going up half way or so, but can also work for a high flat grind. Just my .02. It is looking awesome by the way. I really like the handle material. Great job!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Great idea Panch0. I was trying to noodle out some kind of jig to make - that helps. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a REAL WORK OF ART!!! Man that is a real beauty Crash!! Next thing you know you'll be getting orders,have to set up a website,etc........ LOL Way to go,real nice work Crash. Each one looks better than the last one,You definitely have a short learning curve.

No kidding poco! Crash if you were closer you would really have to be showing me how to make those!

On the heat treat, did you just put a bunch of bricks together in an oven shape and stick the torch in the hole? I got to try that.

I recently found an old saw blade (7 1/4 inch circular with bad carbide tips) that someone threw away. I have decided to give it a whirl for my first knife. I stuck it in a fire to soften. Now for the shaping, etc. But, I don't have a forge yet, so looking for another quick/easy way to heat treat. I just want to make a small carver.

Anyways, I love the scales, and the rest too. Thanks for posting.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Very nice, a real work of art.
    I guess I don't have the patience.

I should post a pic of my first knives, just to show how not to make one.
    LOL
    They were butt ugly.........still use a couple, but they are ugly!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The next time you set yourself on fire, hunter, just hold on to the knife and you can heat treat it while they put try to put the fire out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

you know what they say; build a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You done good. I still don't get the blade shape but if it works??? You are doing good work, keep it up.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The next time you set yourself on fire, hunter, just hold on to the knife and you can heat treat it while they put try to put the fire out.
    LOL
    Well, I should have done that when I was fooling around with the alcohol stove, I guess.
    I like to try stuff, and generally work hard at it, but sometimes it's just better to move on if you know what I mean.
    Everyone has their strong/weak points, and sometimes I just don't have the patience to produce a work of art like that.
    Anyone would be proud of that knife.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    On the heat treat, did you just put a bunch of bricks together in an oven shape and stick the torch in the hole? I got to try that.

I recently found an old saw blade (7 1/4 inch circular with bad carbide tips) that someone threw away. I have decided to give it a whirl for my first knife. I stuck it in a fire to soften. Now for the shaping, etc. But, I don't have a forge yet, so looking for another quick/easy way to heat treat. I just want to make a small carver.

Yep. Just fire bricks sitting on a couple of cinder blocks with two propane torches for heating. When they cool off (about three hours after tuning of the torches, they get stacked in the corner. I am gathering the parts to make a forge --- someday.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post

Finally,

All you need for a forge is a hairdrier and a metal pipe the blower will fit in. Dig out something similar to a dakota fire pit insert the pipe in the horizontal position under your fire pit. Pile dirt around the pipe to seal it, load the hole with charcoal or harwood when coals start to produce cut the hairdrier on low. You can find plenty of demos on Utube.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

that is one beautiful knife, crash you could sell those, at jamboree's or on the internet

all u really need to heat treat is a coal grill and lots of coal

Thanks cowboy, I might try that, or crash's. Either way, I think I can make one without spending any money.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee