Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebel Chick's Knife

Default Rebel Chick's Knife

As many of you know, I have recently made a couple of knives. Rebel Chick made a post asking if somebody on the forum would make her one. She was brave enough to let me try my hand at it. The first picture is what I drew up based on the description she gave me. Now, drawing it and making it – I might end up with two entirely different things. Here’s the progress so far.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I wanted to soften up the steel a little so I tried it by heating in a fire and then allowing it to slowly cool down.

The next step was to take the drawing and transfer it to the steel.

I still need practice on thinning and stock removal.

On to the heat treatment and quench.

That’s it so far. Next step is to clean up the blade, make some micarta scales, attach and sharpen the blade.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man That is totally awesome!! (Not the blade design I had envisioned though).
    What kind of steel did you use Crash?
    I can see a Definite improvement in your workmanship. By the time you make 3 more you'll be at the top pro level if you keep making those kind of advances Crash!!(your work has always been good though) Is that a chimnea you are using? I like it! It is one wicked looking blade!

I'm honestly not sure what type of steel it is. (I can hear the real knife makers cringe) It is the same stuff that I made Oldsoldiers from. This time I just had them put a sheet of it (1/4" & 3/16") in the drop sheer and cut off a two in strip. I figure that after I get a little better at it I'll order some "known" steel. Oldsoldier did say he cut down a couple of trees with his before it was stolen, so it looks like the hardening works OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK I have to ask.... Where you got the steel from, did you tell them what it was going to be used for? Think you could "let your fingers do the walking" and ask them? LOL Laughing so hard I can barely type!!!

Very nice work Crash, I see you still have the bug. I am still working on one just taking my sweet time.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Lookin good!

I dare say , it appears that you have gotten out of the rookie category and are busting out in to the pro arena!!! Nice work
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Looking good. That ones got a bit of belly on it. Are you going to sharpen the top of the blade or did you just thin it some?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Planning on sharpening it on both edges.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man! That will be wicked. I look forward to seeing it finished.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You do good. That blade is strange to me with the false edge sharpened. Did you thin down the first inch or so? Reason I ask is it's kinda pointy and if thinned I just don't understand the purpose of the blade shape. Anyone know where this shape came from?
    To me it looks, except for sweeping blade made for killing and very utility. Just curious what other folks think.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Wow Crash! That really looks great! It really is going to look wicked! I can't wait!

I don't know any real particular use for that shape of blade, but I personally used both sides on the one I used to have, for just about anything. But mostly its for show I think. I liked the one I had and wanted another, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what type of steel it is. (I can hear the real knife makers cringe) It is the same stuff that I made Oldsoldiers from. This time I just had them put a sheet of it (1/4" & 3/16") in the drop sheer and cut off a two in strip. I figure that after I get a little better at it I'll order some "known" steel. Oldsoldier did say he cut down a couple of trees with his before it was stolen, so it looks like the hardening works OK.
    Cut down a couple of sassafrass trees about 4" through, cut several mulberry shoots that were coming up, used it to "trim" off a bunch of limbs off some fruit trees, and just for the heck of it split a couple of the sassafrass trees just to see if it would!!! I had "tweaked" the sharpening when I got back from jamboree, and it was still almost that sharp after the "abuse test" whenit was stolen. Crash you definately know your stuff!!

Blog Entries

That shape is good for slicing. If its not too late mabe you could take the grind alittle higher to improve the cutting a bit since it is kind of thick stock. I personally like the shape and have made a few like it. I have recieved alot of good feedback on this style. You are improving and can't wait to see how it turns out. 1084 and 5160 remember these steel types and get some. Great Job!!!!!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Crash,

I would be glad to send you some 5160 leafspring if you want to compare steels. I have a several leafsprings around. Be my pleasure after all the tips you have given that helped me on my way. Just a thought...PM your addy if your interested or maybe at the SE meet and greet..
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Crash you definately know your stuff!!
    Nah. I just followed the directions of those more experienced.

@ OWVC - This is what was described by RC for one that somebody had started for her but never finished. At 3/16" thick it will be kind of heavy. I was a little concerned that the tip would be too thin with sharpening both edges is why I went with a thicker steel. The blade design isn't one that I would have chosen, but I must say that I kind of like it. We'll see how it turns out.

I just put the scales together - blue, yellow, and a little red. They should be ready on Friday to start shaping.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash I think we posted simoutaneously and you missed my post. check back 2 posts.

Generous offer CS. Thank you. Let's save the shipping costs and do it at one of our trips. Thanks again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just watched a great show on the History Channel about axes, swords and knives. The title is Modern Marvels: Axes, Swords and Knives. I guess the original air date was some time in 2002 so I'm late as usual. Anyway, they interviewed a sword maker from Pennsylvania who said magnetite can be combined with charcoal to make steel. Magnetite is super easy to locate. It's also known as black sand and can be picked up with a magnet. Has anyone tried to combine the two to make their own steel?

Here’s the progress on the knife. I have noodled out a few things during the process. The flat grind is still kicking my butt. I think I will take OWVC’s advice and use a draw file on the next one. I still have to clean this up a little.

RC – do you want a sheath with it? (I know, I know – silly question)

…….and with the scales darkened a little.

Last edited by crashdive123; 09-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel