Thread: Bobcat

Default Bobcat

Well we were out in the superstition mountains this last weekend scouting for our deer hunt and hopeing to find a few Bear we had been seeing. Saw a few deer, but no bear this trip. Anyways i was able to take a nice Cat with my springfield xd 40.
    Attached Images Attached Images

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thats a pretty nice cat. dont see them too often around here anymore, though we found some tracks when we were scouting the other day. I have walked up on them in the woods. kinda scary when they catch u off guard. I really wanna tan one of those into a possibles or game bag. where better to store a mess of squirrels than the belly of a big cat!
    Nice catch!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

What do you do with it?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WE will skin it and tan it. It will most likly be sold at the fur sale in Globe az at the end of winter. I hope to have a truck load of coyotes,foxes, and Bobcats.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO bobcats and foxes are too scarce around these parts to harvest. coyotes on the other hand are so plentiful now that the lawmakers have amended the laws so that we can now use electronic calls and there is no limit. there've been reports of coyotes running off with peoples pets. My parents have had them come right up in the yard
    no bones about coyotes but foxes and bobs I personally leave alone.
    I hope you get a truckload of them doggone dogs and I hope you sell every fur you make from them. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

That was a nice pic of a bobcat. Mel and I had a halfbob. It was a male. Someone ran into my yard to hit him that made me mad. It was so funny he took up with me and only went to Mel when he wanted attention. He slept on my pillow at night.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

We have so many Bobcats and foxes as well as coyotes here in Arizona. Just last week I saw four Bobcats. There are more of them around than people relize they are just so unseen and stealth. I can not go calling coyotes with out calling in at least one fox, But in most cases the mate comes in with the first.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

We see Bobcats often, living in the foothills with a wash behind the house.
    The 3rd pic is a bit hard to see, but there are 4 total, playing in my neighbor's tree.
    And oh yeah, they take any pet they can find.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TucsonMax; 09-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

sweet kill man,we have to really hunt em up here.sometimes calling works,sometimes not.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMax View Post
    We see Bobcats often, living in the foothills with a wash behind the house.
    The 3rd pic is a bit hard to see, but there are 4 total, playing in my neighbor's tree.
    And oh yeah, they take any pet they can find.
    Wow, now that sounds like a problem!
    Mountain Man

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Well... it does cut-down on the stray population... down to zero.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

I did some bathroom work for a lady in cave creek AZ just north of scottsdale. She has two small tanks buil on the outside of her fence. She has two trail cameras set on the 24-7 She is just on the outside of a development. She has a few Mtn lions bobcats, deer and javalina watering there. The lions must feed on cats and dogs enough that the deer and javalina are not afraid to be food. well not many things will eat a javalina unless it is a must. HAHA

Nice cat,we use hounds and baited cubbies with 220 conibears to get em up here.

We had a pack of hounds for lion and bear for 20 years. We are out of the hound work now. I just sold my last three dogs. Two red bones and one blac and tan.

Quote Originally Posted by COUESAZ View Post
    The lions must feed on cats and dogs enough that the deer and javalina are not afraid to be food. well not many things will eat a javalina unless it is a must. HAHA
    I read a thing not too long ago that says that mountain lions seem to prefer domestic pets to natural game.. easier hunting, I guess. Wonder how they conducted that study?

When you trap, do you just discard the meat, or do you use it for something?
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Blog Entries

Did a trek back in the mountains years ago. It was a hunt trek, eat what you shoot or bring in.

I was hunting for hogs, and one gent walks in with a bobcat. It was a Feb. evening and since we were a bunch of prim. guys, we skinned it out and cooked it up.

Man, that was good tasting cat. I mean it was pretty darn good when it came off the stick across the fire.

Taste like........................bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Man, that was good tasting cat. I mean it was pretty darn good when it came off the stick across the fire.

Taste like........................bobcat.
    Predators are supposed to be sweeter than other meats. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    .......When you trap, do you just discard the meat, or do you use it for something?
    I have had, in my day, open fire roasted: lynx, muskrat, beaver, rabbit. All from traps. I haven't been able to bring myself to eat mink (smelly...ewww) and the squirrels are too small and tough to bother with. Also martens, they're predators but I have no idea what one might taste like, too tough. I avoid wasting anything on an animal I've killed as much as possible. My dogs never had an issue chowing down on roasted squirrel and marten.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The trouble is that Cats have thin skin. So they can go bad fast and spoil. I have had cats in the past. they are not my cup of tea. I hunt them for the fur. I also hunt them as a game managment. I have been hired in the past as a hunter to track and kill bear and mountain lion that cause trouble for ranchers.

I miss game meat. We can't get it here, and my uncle who used to bring it to us no longer hunts. Venison and bear jerky have always been my favorite things. Never tried anything more exotic though. Except horse. I guess thats exotic for this country.