Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pine needle tea

Default pine needle tea

so i always wonder when reading a book or a thread on the net where it talks about pine needle tea being a tasty refreshing bush tea, i'll agree with healthy but tasty, hmm been drinking balsam tea past couple of days, tastes like a christmas tree to me, love the smell just not the taste worse with honey in it, like coffee i am sure it is an aquired taste, but i like blueberry or sweetgale better, was planing on some dried sweet fern tonight but am out of cheesecloth and coffee filters so that will have to wait until tommorrow, oh yeah what i was wondering was, how many authors that write about this stuff actually have partaken in said beverages
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I would imagine that there is a difference between "having to drink it" and "wanting to drink it"
    All they are trying to tell you that it won't kill you, (at least right away).
    Used to wonder about all that stuff myself, you know the Euell Gibbons "wild foods".

I think Bear Grylls as well as Les both made that drink some on one of their "adventures"
    Keep up the good work, so we will all know what to try.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

no, some people actually like it. not me, too much, but i can live with it.

beats gum/eucalyptus, as wild teas go, but i prefer blackberry, chickory, spearmint, nettle, etc.

to each, indeed their own.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

I've had pine needle tea ... and it tastes like pine needles. If you've ever managed to get pine rosin in your mouth, that's pretty much what the tea is like.
    If you add some fresh birch twigs it becomes MUCH more palatable. I used black birch - I don't if other birches have that natural minty flavor.

Bottom line - pine needle tea is better than drinking plain hot water, but it sure isn't anything to sing about by itself.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by preachtheWORD View Post
    I've had pine needle tea ... and it tastes like pine needles. If you've ever managed to get pine rosin in your mouth, that's pretty much what the tea is like.
    If you add some fresh birch twigs it becomes MUCH more palatable. I used black birch - I don't if other birches have that natural minty flavor.

Bottom line - pine needle tea is better than drinking plain hot water, but it sure isn't anything to sing about by itself.
    Wish I had known that in 1978 when I had to drink a lot of it.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Sounds nasty to me. This is actually healthy?
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

in some areas, during winter months, this is one of the only source of chlorophy and plant vitamins traditionally available. it's chock full of those [and pine resin].

if you don't go overboard with it, it's not bad, it's just not particularly my... cup of tea.

i have big folger's canisters full of slow dried garden greens, like mustard. it's another good [and lightweight] way of keeping greens in the winter, though i don't exactly need to store them around here.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

You guys are a bunch of sissies. I happen to like tea from white pine (Pinus strobus). It really has a "clean" taste. I don't know how to describe it other than that. If you try spruce of some of the other pines then I do agree with the pine taste but white pine is different.

I generally don't break or cut the needles up but just drop them in hot, not boiling, water for 5 minutes. Then take them out. I think it's pretty refreshing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i said i like it alight, just not a lot.

Oooooh. Huh?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys are a bunch of sissies. I happen to like tea from white pine (Pinus strobus). It really has a "clean" taste. I don't know how to describe it other than that. If you try spruce of some of the other pines then I do agree with the pine taste but white pine is different.

I generally don't break or cut the needles up but just drop them in hot, not boiling, water for 5 minutes. Then take them out. I think it's pretty refreshing.
    Well, that explains it.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Now I need to find a white pine and try this...

any pine. you can do the same with fir aswell, and probably many others.

How is it made? Just add the needles to boiling water?

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    Sounds nasty to me. This is actually healthy?
    Hasn't anyone told you that if it tastes good, it is bad for you? and if it tastes bad them its good for you?
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Nope. That's why I'm so round.

How is it made? Just add the needles to boiling water?
    Opinions vary. Probably best to find out what works for you. I have chopped the needles a bit and steeped them for about 10 minutes. Not something I want to drink a gallon of, but a good source of vitamins. I have also put them in boiling water unchopped. The taste was lighter. Letting it cool and drinking as a cold drink - not too bad at all. All a matter of personal taste.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nope. That's why I'm so round.
    Glacier lily is sweet in the spring time, but you must positively identify the plant first
    Last edited by oly; 10-24-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Any time you make a light tea (such as pine) it's best to use water that is less than boiling. About 185F. And only let it steep about 4-5 minutes. Otherwise, the tea will turn bitter because you are leaching too much out of the "leaf". A very dark tea can be steeped in boiling water.

Where's Winnie? I'll bet she can tell us how to make tea!

As for finding White Pine, you can't mistake it. The needles are in bundles of 5. It's easy peasy. I like blue spruce pretty well, too. It has a much stronger flavor but the danged needles are as sharp as stick pins. Not worth that much trouble.

EDIT: Oops. I had to edit the temp.

She's probably still in France. I'll bet wine tasting has been added to her repertoire.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel