Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Living Dreams or Delusions

I don't want to know,nooooooooooooooooo!

You guys are pansies. Better a hong than a tattoo of a hong......if you catch my drift.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys are pansies. Better a hong than a tattoo of a hong......if you catch my drift.
    Well the girls just bought me a new diamond studded hong, I know, now you want pictures

Well, yeah, of the girls. The girls in the hong would be okay, too. Both girls in the hong would be swell. You don't need to be in any of the pics by the way. Just the girls.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We moved from SE Alaska to N Idaho in '96. It just cost too much to live how we wanted to up there. We bought 20 acres on a mountain top in cash in Idaho. No mortgages for me. Built a 24' X 30' stick frame cabin. Small means easy to heat, easy to clean. It's 2 miles to the nearest paved road and the electric lines. We make power from solar panels and a windmill for half the year (April thru September). It's fairly dark and cloudy here the rest of the year, so we make power with a propane generator during that time period. The nearest small town is about 15 miles away. I am a certified master mechanic, so people seek me out to do work for them and I am well compensated from doing that. My wife is a licensed guide and works at a dude ranch nearby, taking people on horseback riding trips. It snows ALOT here, there may be from seven to ten feet of it on the ground by mid winter. I keep my road open with an old Thiokol snow groomer that someone gave me. It didn't run and my son and I spent all summer rebuilding it. It keeps the road open no matter how deep the snow gets. Local people hire me to plow them out with it. Trees are very prolific here. I have logged the place three times now for profit and house siding and there are still plenty of trees left. The weather may be too harsh to grow much food here but, trees seem to grow well. To sum things up, I don't have alot of money into my place and it's not worth a whole lot. However, I have no debt and I am happy. I think that is a worthwhile goal in life and I have no regrets.

Banned

Hi all
    I live at the very edge of the Wilderness and truthfully the Winters can be very hard especially at higher altitude. Sure it toughens you up but it is not the Dream many think it is. To make it through a hard Winter requires forward planning and resources, both personal and actual. One very cold night a Breaker went out (broke) when we had just moved into the Mountains. At the time out only means of heating was electricity. The outside temperature was minus 17 with wind chill. With some ingenuity I managed to fix up something to get us through the night so we didn't freeze. You can bet your life that I found a solution to that this Winter and now have three separate means of keeping the place warm. So my point is that Wilderness living is great when everything is going well but miserable or worse when something you depend on Fails. But, the Summers are wonderful................

wow...bringing back old stuff...what happened to Sourdough? I hate to see he is banned
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Sooooooo If Im reading this correctly some of you want to live OFF THE GRID with a DRIVEWAY........... OK. Sorry just my opinion..

And how do ya get BANNED? is that what those green things below my username mean?

Quote Originally Posted by waynemanning84 View Post
    Sooooooo If Im reading this correctly some of you want to live OFF THE GRID with a DRIVEWAY........... OK. Sorry just my opinion..
    Yes, that's correct.....off grid means having your own resources for power, water, heat, septic........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh I get all that it just seemed that some people were posting some things that were a little lavish for my tastes and again it was merely my opinion. I have a cabin the goal is to live there permadently but I wheeler in no driveway have a windmill and car alternator setup for power on a 12 volt setup with inverters my water comes from a stream my septic is an outhouse woodstove for heat.

Quote Originally Posted by waynemanning84
    And how do ya get BANNED?

You fail to follow the forum rules. Either blatantly or repeatedly....usually.

is that what those green things below my username mean?

No. Those are reputation points. When you post something someone thinks was good they can give you rep. The more times that happens the more green thingies you get.

You can read up on here. I probably need to update this a bit. We've turned off negative reputation.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?3951-All-About-Reputation

oh cool. thanks sorry to ask that here but it kinda came up on this blog. And thnks again for explaining

Quote Originally Posted by waynemanning84 View Post
    Oh I get all that it just seemed that some people were posting some things that were a little lavish for my tastes and again it was merely my opinion. I have a cabin the goal is to live there permadently but I wheeler in no driveway have a windmill and car alternator setup for power on a 12 volt setup with inverters my water comes from a stream my septic is an outhouse woodstove for heat.
    Each to his own.
    Off grid can mean self-sufficient cabin on the south facing hill side.........or subsistent hunter/gatherer life style, somewhat harder to do these days as land ownership, laws, taxes and other trapping of civilization are hard to avoid.

well heres what I figure when the badness hits it isn't going to matter where you live how much you paid. you better have real means to defend it

Quote Originally Posted by yippyfreakingskippy View Post
    well heres what I figure when the badness hits it isn't going to matter where you live how much you paid. you better have real means to defend it
    It definitely does matter where you live. For those that live near population dense areas, they will probably have a harder time of it. This thread, however is not about SHTF scenarios. It is about people's experiences living in or near wilderness. For comparison, the state of Idaho has 4,523,215 acres of designated wilderness, and an additional 9,000,000 acres of designated roadless areas. While the state of New York has 1,380 acres of wilderness and 0 roadless areas. The state of Alaska has 57,425,215 acres of designated wilderness. The population of New York state is 19,651,127 while the population of Idaho is 1,612,136 and Alaska's population is 735,132. And Wyoming has quite less people than Alaska does. To me, wilderness is about human population density, not whether there is a road leading to your place, or not. After all, in the Mojave desert, you don't need a road to go where you want to, you just go.

40 acres. Large cabin with caravan. 800metre drive, all fences done. No power, water or electricity. Approx $90,000.

sit back and chill, and enjoy life. A $600 gennie and petrol brings all the creature comforts one needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    40 acres. Large cabin with caravan. 800metre drive, all fences done. No power, water or electricity. Approx $90,000.

sit back and chill, and enjoy life. A $600 gennie and petrol brings all the creature comforts one needs.
    That's a good price.......
    In Wisconsin, USA... most prices start $2000 per acre....just land, no building.......actually smaller acreage being more money.

We really got civilized....Dish TV and a portable Wifi modem......

I have found my future people! (I wish)
    But how can you joke about sending someone to get tought by multiple people, I would skin a demon for that chance!
    Oh, the sadness. Lucky for me I'm starting early, the more time you have to work up to it the cheaper it will be, and if you have a place to stay while you develop your land, all the better!
    And I think having a driveway (even if just dirt, as long as it is kept up) is an excellent idea, you never know. I find it hard to imagine there are soem who would try to do without one. But I love the idea of doing it yourself! That is one thing that appeals to me, I think one thing that makes living like that easy are the projects you take up to improve the place. Also having a trade, or job to get funds. I'm going to be a little sneaky because with the career I'm planning I could use my own land to host classes and teach them. Bwahahaha!!!
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi
    Individually we are a drop, together, we are an ocean. - Ryunosuke Satoro

fI can't believe this, you put in a driveway, great access for thieves. I have ten acres, bought a ten by sixteen shed that was delivered free cause I paid cash, $3400 fpr it. I have a hand dug well, great water, a generator for a fridge and a freezer, I brought them with when I sold my house. My driveway is dirt, but plenty of rock so its an all weather road, naturally. I have less than fifteen thousand in my place, been living here for some ten years after a divorce. Am building an underground shelter for my supplies where it won't be found. I've done most everything myself. built my own guns, bows and arrows, knives etc..