Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Living Dreams or Delusions

Welcome back wildwoman!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

It's about time!! Good to see you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*waves with mittened hands*
    Actions speak louder than words

Well after all - I see my chances of living way bigger alone than with a sick society, who won't take responsibility for another human being, instead only blaming.
    Then I got my study done, I'll leave with all the stuff and be gone as long as I can in the rain forest.
    I know there will be a danger in living like this alone and especially in the rain forest. I'll leave everything behind me, so I don't see any reason not just to make a loan from the bank and then escape.

As I made a thread about, if anyone has any handful information or such for living in the rain forest I would be deeply thankful.

Yeah. You have to be pretty irresponsible to even consider taking a loan with no intentions of paying it back. That's stealing and would make you a thief. I have no desire to assist a thief. Have a good day.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozon View Post
    Well after all - I see my chances of living way bigger alone than with a sick society, who won't take responsibility for another human being, instead only blaming.
    Then I got my study done, I'll leave with all the stuff and be gone as long as I can in the rain forest.
    I know there will be a danger in living like this alone and especially in the rain forest. I'll leave everything behind me, so I don't see any reason not just to make a loan from the bank and then escape.

As I made a thread about, if anyone has any handful information or such for living in the rain forest I would be deeply thankful.
    You're the reason people want to escape. You're what is sick about society. You are the one that envisions taking advantage of your "fellow man". Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like you guys have this conversation covered. I'll just second Rick and Cash.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I think the whole thing demonstrates his lack of maturity. I doubt he's 19 and if he is he sure has a lot of growing up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Sounds like you guys have this conversation covered. I'll just second Rick and Cash.
    Plus 1, .......
    Do they still do head hunting in the rain forest?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

He want's to work out. How about we send him over to the cabin, Hunter, and have him finish cleaning that gulley out for you. You probably have some wood that needs split, too. We'll give him a survival book to read in his off time and he can practice surviving those Wisconsin winters. You don't care if he pitches a bedroll on the porch do you?

Hunter would take pity along the way. (I know a softie when I see one)
    I vote for Kyrat to teach him a thing or two and then Sarky to provide the finishing school.

No, that would be fine...even has a river to get water from, till it freezes.......and then there is the buckthorn that need cutting and can be used to fashion all sorts of 'stuff" from (up to you), couple of dead trees to hack down, and split up.....Sure that's the ticket.

While your at it, there are rocks for a free stone house and a shovel to dig a well, and only 2.49 miles from town..., not 249.....locals get kinda grouchy though....don't cross any fences with out asking.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't think anyone could survive being schooled by Kyrat and then Sarky. There are not enough years in a person's life to attend the number of counseling sessions they would need when they graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    *waves with mittened hands*
    Hello Wildwomen, I'm Wildthang, good to meet you!

Nativedude just needs to join the Marines!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 01-20-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

Right now I'm as close to living off the grid as I would like to be (willingly) the property my wife and I bought was a fixer upper that many people had tried in the past to make a go of. Their mistake was in taking out loans from the bank, once you have a loan they also require you to have fire insurance, not easy to get up here and very expensive at a minimum of 3000 per year and you have to lie as to how much wood you burn, and up here we all burn a lot of it.
    I know of at least 4 close neighbors that have been burned out by chimney fires. I always have water on my stove in winter (my hot water tank) if I get a chimney fire that seems out of control (shutting the vents not stopping it) I throw about a liter of water in the stove and close the door very fast, so far the steam has always put it out (fingers crossed) this is with burning it hot twice per day and cleaning the chimney once per month, some times the creosote just builds up, granted mostly I burn pine as its plentiful. ( don't use two much water or you will put out the main fire in the stove as well)

We got a good deal on the property $90,000 for 110 acres with a house and a cabin/shop since been converted into cabin/tack room two stall barn (wife is a horse nut) about 60 of it is fenced, up here we build fences to keep cows out as its free range country and trust me cows are very destructive.
    My wife and I can ride all day and easily avoid any of our neighbors fences.
    By the way our place is 86 km from the nearest town plus we have to cross one free ferry (over a lake) we were lucky the place already had hydro from what I've heard it cost one of the former owners about twenty grand to put in.
    most people that live up here own a tractor for at the very least snow removal as the driveways tend to be about a km long, some people pay the municipality to do their drive ways about $65.00 per hour $120 if you need the grader once the banks get too high.
    Some people worry about moving here because of the roads in winter, but I find the roads better in winter than the rest of the year, as most roads are gravel they tend to be smoother in winter. (go figure)
    Like most of my neighbors without lake front property we haul our water from the lake (300 gal tank on the back of the pickup) not easy in winter although enough people do it that a hole is always easy to open in the lake.
    As you can imagine no water is ever wasted.
    We've been gradually cutting down our horses, right now were down to five, we sold our stallion so no more babies to deal with every year. I'd like to get it down to just three, but I'm a bit of a dreamer lol
    We use to only shop once a month, but my wife has taken up respite foster care to supplement our income so now we go to town trice a week as we have to pick up the native kids, another benefit is we are paid millage to pick up the kids, this helps with the cost of travel. I like the respite care as we only get the kids for the weekend twice a month (less stressful) and it helps pay the bills.
    We've very slowly been renovating the cabin/barn over the last four years, as everyone mentions its expensive and we don't want to make the mistakes the other owners made by taking out loans so the whole process to completion is still a few years off (meaning a proper well and septic)
    Until then we keep hauling water and using the out house, no big deal just part of life in the woods.
    Our nearest neighbor is about two km away the next five, we all like it that way, we only see people if we want, but were all there for each other if we need help.
    I never tire of the scenery as I travel to town and I am always glad to see the odd moose, bear or deer. the longer I live here the less I want to go to town, dirty smelly noisy and I have to lock the door of my car were I live I leave the keys in it most of the time.
    I've heard stories from locals of some thievery in the neighborhood, but it was always handled internally (wink wink) I've only seen one cop car in the five years I've lived here and that was when a neighbors barn burned down (pack rats chewing the wires)
    Thieves don't come here, its too far away, easier pickings on the other side of the lake, plus they might get intercepted crossing the ferry, we do have other roads out around the lake but add another two hours to your trip and carry a chain saw for fallen trees, always grab one after a wind storm, or just don't go to town that day (wait for the municipality to clean it up)
    One of my new neighbors just bought his place 80 acres with two cabins, one small no water or sewer just power the other big but lots of repair to do for $50,000 this all sound cheap but remember most people have to buy it out right as it's very hard to qualify for a loan so far from a fire hall, banks just don't want the risk.
    Bottom line it's a good life but as mentioned not an easy life and it can take some getting use to if your from the city, I would say it took three years to adjust and just be at peace.
    Another thing to consider, phone service only came to our area about 12 years ago, I'm on dial up, this just about precludes me from any video and the rest can be painfully slow, my only other choice is satellite internet but thats very expensive.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

There are reasons why most of our historical "elders" only lived into their 40's or 50's. Northern Horseman's post pretty much sums them up.

Even in our current-day society (current urban-legend myths notwithstanding), the task of staying alive isn't easy. Without the support of our social and economic systems, it gets really difficult, & really questionable, really fast.

This, by itself, is the reason I advocate for the concept of "communal survival" rather than the "rugged individualist" concept that seems so popular. Even the most rugged individual needs to sleep, and should probably realize that he/she will be injured or sick from time to time.

That is, of course, unless the survivalist in question -- much like Bear Grylls -- wears a big "S" on his chest...

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 03-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Does the S have to be on your chest? 'Cause I have this hong.........

super hong ??????

Trust me.....you don't want to know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel