Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Living Dreams or Delusions

Dang, Ken, you had my back. Thanks!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seeker1968 View Post
    No I am not a fake, I just hang out on the bushcraftusa forum more. I have just started to catch up here. I am pretty new, but I am not sure how that makes me a fake lol.

My comment wasn't meant to be degrading, I actually envy the guy for being able to live that way, I just know my wife would not go along for the ride.

No offense meant. But I am wondering what your problem is...

Rick was talking about Nativedude, and NOT you. Nativedude was a nice guy, but his story was fake. (Not True)

Dang! Even Sourdough had my back. I'm getting teary eyed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dang, Ken, you had my back. Thanks!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't have one. You misread the post. Nativedude is a fake. He said he was from Alaska but his IP was from Detroit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    No, no, no. Read that again. Rick wasn't calling you a fake. Nativedude is the fake. Every one of his threads and posts was pure bull$hit. The liar lives somewhere around Detroit.

Now, how about that introduction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Rick was talking about Nativedude, and NOT you. Nativedude was a nice guy, but his story was fake. (Not True)
    All for one, and one for all.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

i think ND posts should all be deleted so as not to mislead any noobs
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

A moderator can just change his sig to something like "The Above Post is pure Bull**** from some guy in Detroit". That will appear in all his posts without need to gut the threads.
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Banned

I have not read very many of his posts but the few i did see werent that bad, he may have lied about where he was but was the info flawed ? Just asking .

Ok, so make the sig, "The above post is from a guy in Detroit who theorizes about living in the wild without actually having done it."

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i think ND posts should all be deleted so as not to mislead any noobs
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    A moderator can just change his sig to something like "The Above Post is pure Bull**** from some guy in Detroit". That will appear in all his posts without need to gut the threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I have not read very many of his posts but the few i did see werent that bad, he may have lied about where he was but was the info flawed ? Just asking .
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Ok, so make the sig, "The above post is from a guy in Detroit who theorizes about living in the wild without actually having done it."
    Happy now? That disclaimer should let the "buyer beware".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ROFL,, ha ha,, Yep, That ought to do it ..
    ND > < Crash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I love it.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Default This has been a very interesting thread for me.

Sunday we're (the wife doesn't know yet) going to look at 17 acres of get-a-way ground. Twenty miles to work, thirty minutes drive time. Mostly blufftop over-looking the Mississippi river valley. Mostly wooded, I'm guessing 3 acres of fields. Gravel driveway already in place to the top after that it's dirt. Less than 100 yards to add gravel to the potential building site. This will be a long term project, finish gravel driveway, dig well so we can camp out on the weekends, add electricity then someday build the home. I don't care if it takes me ten or more years till I live there, just owning it will improve my quality of life.

Now on a side note, for all the do-it-yourselfers: Buy a sawmill and build your own house. You can take a class on timberframing to build the basic structure frame (that's what I'm going to do). Here's a website: http://tfguild.org/ Here's a website for timberframing classes: http://www.foxmaple.com/workshops.htmlWhen you're done either sell the sawmill or provide sawyer services to the locals. But you now have a skill that others will pay for (timberframing). Subscribe to Mother Earth News for alternative (sometimes free) ways of insulating the structure. There are several articles on the net for making your own solar panels and/or wind generators. If your build site includes a south face orientation passive solar heat goes a long way. We spent two winters in New Hampshire in a passive solar heated home. If the sun was out the house would be 71 degrees with no other heat source, outside temperature didn't matter. When the sun went down there was a small wood stove that kept the house comfy all night with one load of wood just before bed time. We used two cords of wood for the typical New Hampshire winter in this passive solar heated house, the neighbors used seven cords and ran out before warm weather. Their house wasn't passive solar.
    Last edited by Brazito; 10-30-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: 'cause I forgot.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

That sounds real interesting. I love hearing about this kind of living. I don't have the ability, mainly resources, to do this kind of thing, but would hope that I might someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    I have a serious question for those whom choose to live in the remote wilderness, yet spend so much to live there. Why?

Why do you need a well/running water, septic system, house building kit flown in, grid electricity, creature comforts (as city people call them)? If your hep on having electricity there is solar (photovoltaic) or windmill (turbine) electricity.

When I first ventured out I had a Yurt that I bought used for $1,000 (still have it). I now use it as a base for my survival/primitive living courses. 50# of salt pork, potatoes, and powdered milk. 25# each of organic flour, rice, beans, and sugar. 10# of cinnamon, vanilla beans, cumin, raw garlic, garlic powder, and paprika. I also had 1 hen and 1 rooster, and various bundles of fresh herbs that I dried.

I had all of my tools (axe, auger bits, chisels, etc.) for building my shelter, as well as, my clothing, bedding, and various other in-sundries. . . .Everything I needed to live.

All told, and this is building up my supplies (other than food) over a 10 year period, I had spent about $5,200.

Now I do a lot of trading when I go to town. Don't spend nor need a lot of cash. The most expense I have is my sat. phone, which I use for my internet connection. Going to change that this coming March, so that expense will be cut by about 70%.

I have an outhouse (dug a 10'd x 5'l x 4'w) pit. Still a long way from being filled. That's my septic. I get my water from the river or falls, hunt & fish for my meat, etc.

I figure, if I'm going to live in mother Nature's livingroom, I'm going to use what she has to offer to live there. Not have it MANufactured in the city and bring it into her abode. I guess that's just me?!

Anyway, you can live cheaply, if you choose, in the remote wilderness. It's just up to you how many "creature comforts" you need!

Ha Ha Ha....Why have I spent so much....because I actually live it....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

The gift that keeps on giving.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh that's funny (or kinda sad and disillusioning, rather) that Nativedude was fake! I had my doubts - getting his firewood in summer by canoe and having a buddy who keeps flying supplies in for free, plus the amount of money he said he made with crafts -, but I liked the idea too much that somebody was able to do it so simply, I guess... Ah, well...
    Actions speak louder than words

Good to see you back around.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Crash
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome back Lady, We have really missed you.