Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Living Dreams or Delusions

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    When I was younger I wanted no neighbors, Strange as it sounds, even to me, at this point I wish I had a few more neighbors for security. The more isolated you are the more vulnerable you are.
    Another good thought. Probably comforting to know you have a reliable neighbor to cover your back if the inevitable miscreant starts messing with you. Also someone in case you get hurt? I would think, with all the manual work that needs to be done, that would be a serious consideration
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

Safety in numbers, up to the point it effects the quallity of life. Where I live we have nine humans in a 2,500 square mile area, in a National Forest.

I would vote we make this thread a sticky. And I hope we get more feedback from members. This is valuable, useful information. at least IMHO.
    Consider it stuck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Safety in numbers, up to the point it effects the quallity of life. Where I live we have nine humans in a 2,500 square mile area, in a National Forest.
    got room for 1 more? I promise you wont even know I'm there
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Well I want to thankeveryone for their responses on this. I have to say that I had delusions on this matter. I mean in my head and even on paper it seems simple. I just barely touched on what the "every day" life would be like. And I have to say that even at 28 (soon to be 29) I am not prepared for it. Oh I could go awhile, but for every day, week or month that goes by I will get older and older. Something that "sourdough" said really stuck with me. Living like this is all about preparing for the future. Start making things easier so when you physically can't haul water, chop wood etc... you will still be able to live this way. Even though it is tough to let go of a dream, I see now that I do not have the "will" to live like he does or WW does. But I do have a backup plan that will at least give me a taste of this lifestyle. I can still have a vacation cabin on some remote land. That would be much easier to do and can take a lifetime to finish without much problem. So that is what I will plan on doing and start working towards.
    That is sorta the way we started, and with land prices mostly always going up, it was important to get that first, then add what we could , when we could.
    Was kinda fun, when all that was there for a long time was just the trailers, and shed.
    Show up, check the power, dump your stuff, light pilot light on furnace, change clothes and go hunting fishing, canoeing, 4 wheeling, or generally having fun.

1988 to 2005
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Then we got the cabin, now it's mostly work, hard to sit in the woods, looking at your wood pile, knowing you should be cutting and splitting for the winter, or a hundred other things that need doing.

2005 to date

I can see where the idea of GOODodge, is appealing more so now, than maybe say before, but don't get overwhelmed.

Was fun doing it, a intresting journey so far, lots of learning on the way, but DO IT.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-21-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi All,
    Am brand new to this forum & thought this would be the best place to make my first post. I absolutely agree that living remotely & trying to be relatively "self-sufficient" is expensive & more work than most imagine, however, I have to say that IMHO the sense of pride & fulfillment I get when I complete my "chores" (firewood, fencing, rototilling etc) on my property absolutely justifies all the sacrifices it takes.

Well actually Grizzly Girl the best place to start is the introduction section. Maybe when the other chores are done you can wander on over there and tell us a bit about yourself.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Can you tell me some more about your Amish bulit cabin shell? 25k seems like a fantastic price for such a nice looking dwelling...

Thanks for asking, we like it, could have done a lot of other ways, but was low priced enough, that it is paid off.
    And as it was hauled to the site, it is considered a mobil home, so a lot of codes don't apply. (good to know when you DYI).

This is the guy that makes cabins:

Hill Crest Log Cabins
    Ervin Schmucker
    12226 U.S. Hwy 14
    Richland Center, WI 53581
    608-538-3759 (don't call on sunday, they don't work)

I would try the number as I haven't been over that way in awhile.

I had his brother build mine, but he moved, and I don't know if he's still doing it.
    Anyway:
    In 2005, the basic long log cabin was 16' X 30' w/ 8 ft porch the full length.
    Was about $16K , no financing, cash or cashiers check.

We added 10' ( for bath and kitchen) @ about $200 per ft.
    We added the dormers, @ $900 each.
    Also extra door, couple of windows and pine flooring, so when was all said and done, as pictured about $25K

Site prep, 18 sonit tubes, 36 blocks (to put it on) are extra.
    And of course all other inanities.

Logs are 8" solid milled "D" shaped tongue & grove, pine logs with caulk in between, and pinned.
    They build it either in their barn, or much more expensive on site.
    The you haul it to the site.

They put you in touch w/ a trucker, you take care of that, but the price included the shipping.

Born in a barn:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...3/PICT0100.jpg

On the move:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...CT0101crop.jpg

P.S. You supply your own dogs!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

MMhmMmmm

Very nice cabin!!
    Mountain Man

The wife and I are currently in re negotiation on some acerage in N.carolina, Since it is considered remote, ( 15 miles from town out a 2 lane road then 5 more on gravel) we think we are getting a good deal. The seller decided to go on and sell some ajoining acerage so mow we are working on getting 30 acres. Power runs along gravel road, but no water or sewage. So we will need to put in septic and drill a well, But for $ 4,500.00per acre That's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    The wife and I are currently in re negotiation on some acerage in N.carolina, Since it is considered remote, ( 15 miles from town out a 2 lane road then 5 more on gravel) we think we are getting a good deal. The seller decided to go on and sell some ajoining acerage so mow we are working on getting 30 acres. Power runs along gravel road, but no water or sewage. So we will need to put in septic and drill a well, But for $ 4,500.00per acre That's okay.
    Yeah that's a fair price. I looked at 10 acres in Pike Co. IN a few years ago and it was 1,500/acre....sure wish I would have bought it now.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Do either of you have concerns about "neighbors" or populations in the next 20 years approaching your "retreats" ???
    My concern is getting some mining outfit out here (I have the same concern about mining outfits in other wilderness areas, it is unfortunately an industry with a dirt poor record as far as environmental stewardship is concerned).

Neighbours are probably an unrealstic option due to government red tape as far as land acquisition is concerned, and roads are even more unrealistic because of the topography.
    If our current neighbour, 10kms away, would leave and somebody else would move there full-time, I would hope for somebody with similar core values as far as nature and wildlife are concerned. I think I would actually enjoy that.
    Actions speak louder than words

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    My concern is getting some mining outfit out here (I have the same concern about mining outfits in other wilderness areas, it is unfortunately an industry with a dirt poor record as far as environmental stewardship is concerned).

Neighbours are probably an unrealstic option due to government red tape as far as land acquisition is concerned, and roads are even more unrealistic because of the topography.
    If our current neighbour, 10kms away, would leave and somebody else would move there full-time, I would hope for somebody with similar core values as far as nature and wildlife are concerned. I think I would actually enjoy that.
    They outlawed some form of mining recently here in CA... obviously mining was pretty darn popular up here in the Sierras Still shafts, ghost towns, scrap metal, and more left behind from those good`ol days... not to mention where I live wouldn't be here w/out it.

Having people with similar values living around you is always great I've come to realize... city or wilderness.
    Mountain Man

young survivalist

really i dont thin you need a drive way. i mean i think that a simple dirt road would suffice

Good thread! It all adds up in the end no matter how you slice it. I've looked into building log homes and stickbilt homes and all that goes into it. It ain't cheap and prices have skyrocketed locally in the past 10-20 years.

I'm curious to know what the price per acre is where everyone lives and how remote they are.??

I was surprised to hear 4,500 an acre and such for what sounds like somewhat remote unmaintained areas. Around here prices vary greatly from 500-800 an acre, although quite rare these days, for relatively remote or run down areas all the way up to the moon for suburban or tourist/ vacation spots. Up north what used to be somewhat remote and 500 an acre is now golf resorts and 60,000+ for a 5 acre parcel.

Locally, a city sized lot could easily be 60,000 or more. On the flip side in some war torn cities you can get a house for 4,000 to 10,000. I'd like to find some acreage, 40+, in a wilderness area I could gain access to a maintained road within 1 mile. Don't need electricity or gas service. Would like something that backs up to a river or huntable state or federal land. Not neccesarilly looking to live there, but would like to put a small trailer or cabin on for a getaway, BOL, etc. Anywhere in NA!

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most land around here is going for 10k per acre.. that's more than my house is worth according to the tax assessor. Rather rural town, but it is growing. I thought it was really excessive. To get land any cheaper than that it's gonna be old fields that aren't good for farming anymore. Undeveloped land with very poor soil.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Banned
    Blog Entries

About $42,000.00 per acre here, for land with no view, or water frontage. 4.2 Acres just sold for one million cash, and the 7.3 acres next to it sold for one million cash also; to the same buyer, however it is on a Class four/five river.

We just sold 1/2 acre no view for $35,000.00 cash which = $70,K per Ac.. I have some of my land listed with another broker at $50,000.-- per acre.

Are you in or near a major town/ city Sourdough? Is that considered vacation property or are the people buying living there year round?

That sounds very expensive.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Are you in or near a major town/ city Sourdough? Is that considered vacation property or are the people buying living there year round?

That sounds very expensive.

No, the about 80 miles south of Los Anchorage, area is in slow transition..... to world class resort/retirement area. 40 miles from Alyeska Ski Resort. If you google up: Chugach Outdoors Center or Six-mile creek + Alaska you'll get the idea. Land in Alyeska is $600,000.00 to $800,000.00 per acre. Most of Alaska is Public Land and there is relatively little private land, especially quality land.