Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rick Jerky

Default Rick Jerky

I'm making my first Rick Jerky, (Rick recipe, not Rick meat.) and I have a question. Has anyone used this recipe for ham jerky?

I got my first dehydrator, the other day, so now I'm playing with it. Along with the jerky, I cut up a banana, a pear, a cheddar sausage, and a bread and butter pickle spear, and put them in the dehydrator! LOL Now I'm wondering if all those flavors are going to run together. YUCK! I know that the kitchen already smalls like condensed soy sauce!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I have not tried ham. I don't know why it wouldn't work. Just remember that pork has more fat than beef so it will go rancid quicker. You will probably want to store the ham in the fridge after you make it. Partially freeze the ham so it's easier to slice. Keep slices 1/4 inch or less and discard any fat on the ham. If you want a tender jerky, slice across the grain. If you want a chewy jerky, slice with the grain. Go ahead and marinate the ham just like beef. Blot the excess moisture off it and put it in the dehydrator. It should be done when you can bend it and it cracks but doesn't break.

As to the odors blending, that shouldn't be a problem. I've dehydrated cereal and onions in the same batch and didn't have any trouble...other than the house had to be aired out.

You'll just need to keep an eye on the different items. Since they had different moisture content some will dry quicker than the others.

When you do something like a bread and butter pickle, you can blot it with a paper towel to remove as much liquid as possible from the pickle. The less water going into the dehydrator the less time required to process.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Showing my ignorance again, what's a bread and butter pickle?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I didn't know what bread and butter pickles were either. Maybe it is an east coast thing.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Nope. My mom made them all the time. Bread and butter pickles are the ..... dare I say it? ..... bread and butter of pickle canning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nope. My mom made them all the time. Bread and butter pickles are ..... dare I say it? ..... NASTY.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Oh, my! A quote plagerizer!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, my! A quote plagerizer!!!!!!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

[QUOTE=2dumb2kwit;156451]I'm making my first Rick Jerky, (Rick recipe, not Rick meat.) and I have a question. Has anyone used this recipe for ham jerky?

Well crap 2D you had me excited I thought you had a sure fire way to dispose of the evedince

[quote=oldsoldier;156612]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I'm making my first Rick Jerky, (Rick recipe, not Rick meat.) and I have a question. Has anyone used this recipe for ham jerky?

Well crap 2D you had me excited I thought you had a sure fire way to dispose of the evedince
    See OS,I think we were thinking alike,I thought 2D was actually making Rick INTO jerky......
    Last edited by nell67; 09-19-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Aha! we call them Gherkins over here!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Aha! we call them Gherkins over here!
    The Bread & Butter pickles (here anyway) are sliced into chips. The Gherkins (again, here anyway) are made from tiny cucumbers.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/f...in-pickles.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

English is SUCH a fun language.

As for making me into jerky. You're probably looking at a somewhat larger dehydrator...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The Bread & Butter pickles (here anyway) are sliced into chips. The Gherkins (again, here anyway) are made from tiny cucumbers.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/f...in-pickles.htm
    Your Gherkins are known as Cornichons over here any way.

Can't say as I'm partial to either tho!

Blog Entries

Just a couple of quick questions, what's the best way to store jerky once it's made? Would any old airtight container do, or would it last longer in a canning jar with an oxygen absorbing pouch.
    Also can you use game birds? shooting season started a couple of weeks ago and I always get a few birds given to me, but I find they don't freeze well so I'm looking into alternative methods of storing them

I've never been able to store it long enough to tell. It goes pretty quick around here once it is made. For those that are able to have it around and actually store it, I imagine in a jar with an oxygen absorber, or vacuum packing would be best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Believe it or not, I have some beef jerky in the cabinet in a zip lock back that has been there for 3 months. A little experiment on how long the stuff will last. Seems to be doing fine.

OK, here's my report.
    Rick jerky, (Rick recipe, not Rick meat) Pretty good. The flavor is kinda strong, but I left it in the marinade kinda long....maybe that's why.

Ham jerky. I'll eat it, but I won't make it again. I guess because of all the water injected into the ham, (at least the ham that I used) the out side of it gets really hard, before the middle gets very dried out.

B+B pickle spear. LOL, about the only thing left is some skin! OK...OK....everyone knew that a pickle is mostly water.

Cheddar sausage. (Johnsonville "Beddar Cheddars") Pretty dang good! Kinda like a less greasy "Slim Jim"....with cheese. (I wonder if these would reconstitute well, for camp cooking?)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Oh now I've really lost it What on earth is cheddar sausage??