Thread: Mushrooms

Default Mushrooms

are the wild edibles I'm most comfortable with identifying...and eating.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...dothers028.jpg

are those a coral or Hericium americanum/coralloides at top? i can't tell.

nice boletes and morels.

i'm a mushroom guy myself.
    Last edited by canid; 09-17-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

i spent probably my first year studying mushrooms, then realized there was a whole bunch of really great stuff out there other than mushrooms, but i still love me mushrooms cuz of the challenge and mystic that goes with it
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Those are Hericium ramosum.

I've been huntin shrooms, other than morels, for 4 years now. It makes ID'ing plants much easier. But, plants seem harder to me cuz they look so different based on the time of year, location, etc. With shrooms, if they're up you pick, cook and eat em. With plants, you have to know which part to pick and when and also how to use/ prepare it. Much more difficult than shrooms IMO.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

mushrooms are my favorite too. sulfur shelf and chicken of the woods are the main choice i look for. the boletes are a breakfast mushroom to me. and those ink caps yum!!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

i still have a hard time eating a shaggy mane, just doen't look all that apealling to me, now puff balls and chanterelles, boletes are yummy, chicken of the woods i only ate once, freind it up in some bacon fat, didn't find it all that appealing, maybe i should dip it in egg first
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I really like the small button shaggy manes/ inky caps. I like the chickens too if I can find a nice fresh one. I found two yesterday, but both were a lil past prime.

I didn't have much luck witht the chants this summer, too cold maybe?

Hen of the woods is a favorite of mine and if I could get out more I'd be findin a bunch right now.

H. ramosum is depreciated and is now H. coralloides according to my memory of the literature.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

it could have been too cold. chatarelles are so finicky about fruiting. some times they will fruit when it's been dry 3 weeks, and some seasons they will ignore perfect cool wet weather for no apparent reason. the areas where i hunt them they like to come up in the spring [in the mountains] and late summer through fall [coast]

I haven't looked up the latin name for that shroom in three years, so you may be right Canid. I prefer that variety over the others cuz of the branching, maybe a lil easier to clean as well.

People just north of here were killin the chants this summer, but I didn't get out a whole lot either.

i'll take any Hericium i can find, they aren't common here. they are so tasty.

Went hen hunting today. Hens, chickens and pear shaped puffballs. http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...uffballs9-.jpg

Nice haul.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang. That's a bunch of shrooms. Good job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.