Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on pocket knives

Default Thoughts on pocket knives

This may have been covered before but It amazes me how few people carry pocket knives nowadays. I realize that many employers and security measures are to blame. Since I was 6 or 7 years old I have had one constantly in my pocket with the exception of being in bed for the night. Even in school I carried a Case pocket knife (Stockman) but did nothing to draw attention to it. It was unfortunately very much more acceptable back then. For the last few years I have carried a Victorinox Farmer every waking minute and as of recently it had been supplemented with a Spyderco Tenacious at work. I use the Vic more than the Spydie though. My Vic Farmer has a place of honor in my outdoor gear. The Spyderco is really there as a last ditch ground fighting tool to defend my pistol. I would feel naked w/o my Farmer. Who else carries a pocket knife religiously and what is it. Do yall prefer the classic slip joint type (Case / Swiss army) or the Modern one hand openers (Spyderco type). In the city or in the woods modern man IMO still needs a good handy knife.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a #8 Opinel folding knife with my gear but can't remember ever using it for anything else other than cutting food items.
    Actions speak louder than words

I have had constantly in my pocket a two blade Barlow pocket knife since before I went into the military in 1972 (no wise cracks ) It is in fact to this day the same knife. All battered and banged up. People look shocked when I am the only one that has a cutting impliment at times. It is a hassle to travel with on a plane, have to put it in checked bags. I feel uneasy when I don't have it with me. Any other blade I carry (depending on circumstance) , I consider as secondary to it.
    Last edited by Pal334; 08-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I carry a Leatherman e33Tx folder all the time, it's quite handy. I also carry a Micra tool as well.

Wildwoman, that is an oldie but a goodie. Good choice. Pal, your a man after my own heart. That Barlow is a classic design that few can argue with. I sometimes miss carying my carbon steel Case Stockman but I sweat on it and you know what happens. That Vic Farmer has solved my rust problem and given me some essential camp tools to boot. All in all great choices yall. Best.

I have carried a knife in one shape,form,or fashion for about 40 years,and for the last 30-35 of those years most often it was a "Slip-joint" however in the last 10 it has been mostly the newer locking type Tactical folder(supplemented with the traditional "slip-joint" of course). I've carried most of the older companies knives-Gerber, Buck,Case, Kershaw, Schrade,and Old-Timer. No offense but I have never liked the Spyderco's Even though everyone tells me they are really good knives. But the Brand that I have really come to like is CRKT. Case has gotten outrageous in price. Victorinox about the same way. I've had too many stolen or lost to put that much money in something that I may not have in a years time. For that very reason I usually have at least 3 on me at all times now. A slipjoint and 2 folders. Sometimes 3 folders. I have had to "lend" people a knife and still need mine as well. Another reason is if one gets dull and I need a really sharp blade but don't have time to sharpen it. Nowadays the slipjoint is mostly relegated to finer,more intricate tasks,and rarely used. I even own one Specialized knife, an Equestrian pocketknife, it has 2 "blades" hoof pick and a hoof knife. The hoof knife is also good for carving in spots you can't reach with a normal straight blade... like the bowl of a spoon.
    Boy did you get me on the wrong topic!! I just realized how long I've been rambling!! Time for me to hush now, or I could go on for pages!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

"OLD TIMER" Schrade model # 1250T

Schrade- number on the blade is 1080T.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I usually have at least 3 knives on me at any given time. My leatherman, a gerber gator, and 1 or 2 small cheap folders. I use the cheap folders the most, saving my good stuff for the times when they are needed. Also, I learned long ago, NEVER USE YOUR GOOD KNIFE WHILE FISHING!!!! (If only someone had told me that before I had lost 3 or 4 good knives to the sea).
    Last edited by catfish10101; 09-16-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I also wear a folder in a sheath, A "OLD TIMER" 510T

Any of you knife people know what the "T" stands for.......?
    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-17-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post

Is it "T" for tungsten?
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    I have carried a knife in one shape,form,or fashion for about 40 years,and for the last 30-35 of those years most often it was a "Slip-joint" however in the last 10 it has been mostly the newer locking type Tactical folder(supplemented with the traditional "slip-joint" of course). I've carried most of the older companies knives-Gerber, Buck,Case, Kershaw, Schrade,and Old-Timer. No offense but I have never liked the Spyderco's Even though everyone tells me they are really good knives. But the Brand that I have really come to like is CRKT. Case has gotten outrageous in price. Victorinox about the same way. I've had too many stolen or lost to put that much money in something that I may not have in a years time. For that very reason I usually have at least 3 on me at all times now. A slipjoint and 2 folders. Sometimes 3 folders. I have had to "lend" people a knife and still need mine as well. Another reason is if one gets dull and I need a really sharp blade but don't have time to sharpen it. Nowadays the slipjoint is mostly relegated to finer,more intricate tasks,and rarely used. I even own one Specialized knife, an Equestrian pocketknife, it has 2 "blades" hoof pick and a hoof knife. The hoof knife is also good for carving in spots you can't reach with a normal straight blade... like the bowl of a spoon.
    Boy did you get me on the wrong topic!! I just realized how long I've been rambling!! Time for me to hush now, or I could go on for pages!!!
    Hey, no offense taken. Pocket knives are as much a personal preference as shoes, maybe more so. The Spyderco's are nice but like you said, they are not for everyone. the Swiss army knives are still a great deal for the $$ though, especially for the tools, quality, fit , and finish IMO. Case knives are still close to my heart after carying one for so many years but you are correct on their priceyness. I don't mind reading a good long "rant" on an interesting topic. Keep it commin yall.

Blog Entries

Well I'm not allowed to carry a pocket knife anymore, I miss carrying one. I'd be arrested if I'm caught with any knife now. Hey Ho.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post

Not real sure,but it may stand for "Tool Steel". Does it rust? If so that may be it. The reason I say this is I had a gerber once that had the "T" in the model # the only difference in the two is that the one without the "T" was stainless steel. The one with the "T" was tool steel.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-16-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    Wildwoman, that is an oldie but a goodie. Good choice. Pal, your a man after my own heart. That Barlow is a classic design that few can argue with. I sometimes miss carying my carbon steel Case Stockman but I sweat on it and you know what happens. That Vic Farmer has solved my rust problem and given me some essential camp tools to boot. All in all great choices yall. Best.
    Mine has been through jungle (SEA), swimming (not intentional and everything in between. One "grip" is gone, he other chipped. I love the glim of the sharp edge edge on this warrior. Beware, old and rusty doesn't mean it does not work (sort of like me)
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Well I'm not allowed to carry a pocket knife anymore, I miss carrying one. I'd be arrested if I'm caught with any knife now. Hey Ho.
    Winnie is that for all citizens? Hope you don't mind the prying

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I carried the Case stockman for many years, I probably carried one before I was 6 or 7. Times have changed, never saw anyone use a knife all the years and after in school. Now I find I use the SAK more than any. I carry 2, the SAK and a SOG FlashII. The SOG is more
    on the always being armed habit, never been used to cut anything. I do use the SAK every
    day for everything and it's nice to know if I lose or break it I can pick up another for $30.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Winnie is that for all citizens? Hope you don't mind the prying
    Not prying at all Pal. If you're caught with a blade or something resembling one out in the street, say byebye. It's the nanny state gone bonkers over here.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

I won't leave the house w/o my Kershaw Cyclone in my pocket. On the rare occasion that I do, I instantly notice and feel sort of out of whack.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

It is getting kinda grey as to what is legal. I hesitate to carry my fixed blade when I am off work and hesitate to carry my folder when I am at work. Blade length and whether or not it is considered a tactical knife is very grey to me. I still do but hesitate in some situations. It all started when a Leo made me throw one under a door at the courthouse when I went to get a marriage certificate. I love carrying my Mora with a homebuilt sheath at home in my pocket but wonder if it is legal to carry a fixed blade concealed. I really don't think any are problem here that would get you arrested unless there was an altercation involving the knife. I'd still reach for my right hand first before a knife for self defense.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson