Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surviving Disaster-SPIKE TV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Winnie, are you as shocked as I am at the way Rick took this down the wrong road? Really now, he must know that a gentleman would never resist such a lovely lady (or any lady with an assualt rifle ) Besides, I am older now and she could probably kick my mmmm, buttocks?
    It's where she might put that gun whilst wrestling that I'd be worried about!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I watched the fire segment and part of the plane take-over, taped the rest.

It might have been PC corrected along the way, but it's more than I knew when I started watching.

Not having been in the armed forces, law enforcement, bar brawls and domestic altercations I haven't had much practice in wrestling or whacking people off. So I'll have to defer to you guys there.

As far as bailing out during fire goes, I learned a few more things from the show than the fire drills we occasionally have in our very high, high-rise bldg.
    It's hard to cover every contingency either way.
    The fire marshals here often suggest that you stay put until help arrives.
    A lot of people who survived the WTC didn't listen to that advice.
    Ultimately you have to use your common sense and follow your gut feelings.
    Don't think there's any substitute for that.

Benesse, the fire marshal is right, if at all possible stay put....smoke can kill faster then fire, block any place that smoke may get into your room, and stay put. If you have to leave, know every way out that is available, other then the elevator. Have a go bag by the door with flash light, water and a small fire extinguisher in it (5-10 pound). If you do not have one, get a smoke hood to help you breath while getting out. Fire may not act like you would think, and you can get into trouble real fast. Have a plan, do not rely on gut feelings, not in a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Benesse, the fire marshal is right, if at all possible stay put....smoke can kill faster then fire, block any place that smoke may get into your room, and stay put. If you have to leave, know every way out that is available, other then the elevator. Have a go bag by the door with flash light, water and a small fire extinguisher in it (5-10 pound). If you do not have one, get a smoke hood to help you breath while getting out. Fire may not act like you would think, and you can get into trouble real fast. Have a plan, do not rely on gut feelings, not in a fire.
    Thanks Riverrat, duly noted.
    I'm set at home, the office is work in progress.

And don't forget to carry your house key with you especially if your door automatically locks behind you. You don't want to get trapped in the hallway if you have no way down.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like the show, it is all staged, but they admit that and they do it well. The host has a serious intensity and isn't all goofy like Bear Grylls. This is the type of show Bear Grylls should have done had he not wanted to actually be out surviving in the wild.

Normally when I watch a show I'll sit and think of the things they're doing wrong or the things I'd do differently. In this case, I find it hard seeing any fault in what is being shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I like the show, it is all staged, but they admit that and they do it well. The host has a serious intensity and isn't all goofy like Bear Grylls. This is the type of show Bear Grylls should have done had he not wanted to actually be out surviving in the wild.

Normally when I watch a show I'll sit and think of the things they're doing wrong or the things I'd do differently. In this case, I find it hard seeing any fault in what is being shown.

That's how I felt as well.
    Plus, I am more likely to find myself in one of these scenarios than say,
    parachuting into the Sahara.
    I also like the interspersed commentary throughout by credible experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    I have worked in industry for a long time and never thought to get a Fire Hood of my own. Great idea. Do you have a specific brand that you could reference, or a site where they are available? Something that can be carried in a brief case? Thanks again, RR.

Quote Originally Posted by TomChemEngineer View Post
    I have worked in industry for a long time and never thought to get a Fire Hood of my own. Great idea. Do you have a specific brand that you could reference, or a site where they are available? Something that can be carried in a brief case? Thanks again, RR.
    This is what I have at home:
    http://www.westernsafetystore.com/ase30.html

Don't know if it's really good or not, haven't tested it yet
    Hope I don't have to.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched two of the shows so far, hijacking and hurricanes. IMO not bad.

I think we're getting a bit critical or full of our selves when every show is reviewed as not realistic, too politically correct, or just junk.

We need to look at the subject matter and the approaches used. Some shows may be made for purely entertainment, but I feel there has been an increase in useful shows as well.

IMO - "Survivor" is mostly entertainment. "Man vs Wild" has some useful information but a bit reckless at times. "Survivorman" good general information, more practical. "The Colony" a very good training scenario, good information, many good psychological issues. This type of training is very much like military training, you find yourself living the training scenarios. "Surviving Disasters" some very useful information.

There's many approaches to emergency scenarios - life experiences, personal needs, and possible training and education - all effect how we'll reacted.

Some people will find it hard to initially adapt to a survival situation. Some will brake down to the point of not being able to even take care of themselves. Others will immediately become leaders. The question is - what type of people will follow? Will a gang develop or will a community mentality develop. Will lawlessness dictate a free-for-all approach. Kill or be killed!

Many people on this forum have considered survival training, whether it's formal training or just going out to practice skills. Some people practice skills and do projects in their spare time.

When a TV show based on survival is produced, they consider a theme and a approach to capturing the effects of that theme. If they are truly trying to give useful information, they will hire "experts" on the subject for guidance. As stated earlier, there's many approaches to a emergency situation. Each show is like a different book, some books are more helpful than others. Quite often you can find some useful information in most books. Maybe it's something to think about or skills to try. You don't have to agree with everything.

No single book, TV show, or training exercise will give you all you need. Dive deep into the subject, be critical and objective in your studies and training. There's a lot of information out there to assist anyone that is willing to take the time to learn. Then practice your methods, change up the scenarios and learn to be flexible.
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 09-16-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Question?

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    I watched two of the shows so far, hijacking and hurricanes. IMO not bad.

I think we're getting a bit critical or full of our selves when every show is reviewed as not realistic, too politically correct, or just junk.

We need to look at the subject matter and the approaches used. Some shows may be made for purely entertainment, but I feel there has been an increase in useful shows as well.

IMO - "Survivor" is mostly entertainment. "Man vs Wild" has some useful information but a bit reckless at times. "Survivorman" good general information, more practical. "The Colony" a very good training scenario, good information, many good psychological issues. This type of training is very much like military training, you find yourself living the training scenarios. "Surviving Disasters" some very useful information.

There's many approaches to emergency scenarios - life experiences, personal needs, and possible training and education - all effect how we'll reacted.

Some people will find it hard to initially adapt to a survival situation. Some will brake down to the point of not being able to even take care of themselves. Others will immediately become leaders. The question is - what type of people will follow? Will a gang develop or will a community mentality develop. Will lawlessness dictate a free-for-all approach. Kill or be killed!

Many people on this forum have considered survival training, whether it's formal training or just going out to practice skills. Some people practice skills and do projects in their spare time.

When a TV show based on survival is produced, they consider a theme and a approach to capturing the effects of that theme. If they are truly trying to give useful information, they will hire "experts" on the subject for guidance. As stated earlier, there's many approaches to a emergency situation. Each show is like a different book, some books are more helpful than others. Quite often you can find some useful information in most books. Maybe it's something to think about or skills to try. You don't have to agree with everything.

No single book, TV show, or training exercise will give you all you need. Dive deep into the subject, be critical and objective in your studies and training. There's a lot of information out there to assist anyone that is willing to take the time to learn. Then practice your methods, change up the scenarios and learn to be flexible.
    Correct me if I am wrong on this. You are ex-military If I remember correctly
    and the man covering the hijacking was an ex-SEAL I believe. I do believe, I
    know in my time we didn't have a major threat except the "Take me to Cuba"
    nut. Ex-military or active I don't remember training to take down an armed
    person being unarmed and taking the time to tie him up to take on another
    armed person. I was taught to "end it" in 3 blows or less. No takedowns no
    tying just dispatch, move on to the next threat and attack never play defense. Don't you think someone who goes to a "strip mall dojo" and buys a belt after X number of lessons will go "John Wayne" and bite off more than they can chew? My opinion is just that, an opinion and I think the tactics will cause more harm than good as shown. The program should carry the "For Entertainment Only" warning at least or show the real world.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I thought it was fairly well done. Coot, to your point - he is a former Navy Seal, but his audience has to be assumed to have no experience. Hijacking on a plane that has a military detachment onboard headed home on leave? Sucks to be a hijacker.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Benese - for living or working in a high rise building you may want to consider (if you haven't already) a smoke hood.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I do the same thing Chris, everyone has a different point of view on a situation so the only thing you can do is evaluate the situation your self and takein any info. you can now act accordingly. Then after the crisis review what you did right and what you did wrong (the key word is act).

Learning never stops.
    Last edited by oly; 09-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Crash, I think when it comes to your and other lives you don't mess around. He probably had more training than all of us combined and I believe he could have done the job exactly the way he did. The average person with above average training could not do as was presented by the ex SEAL. Disarming anyone is a dangerous thing to attempt and I sure would not, only as a last resort. Past my prime I would disable completely never attempt to disarm. He made it look easy, probably was to him but I do think the average person would fail. The mindset, training and previous experience most people
    don't have would not work. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Disarming is definitely not for most people.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

You are probably right. Inexperience, combined with fear and adrenaline would probably result in a career ender for the terrorist. Maybe some passengers get cut or killed, but the hijacker would most likely be on his way to 76 sturgeons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I watched the highjacking part. I understand the PC part involved but seriously just kill the guy/gal. Put him or her on the ground and stomp through their throat till they are deader than dead. None of this tie them up BS just kill them, they wouldn't hesitate to kill you.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

As far as killing the hijackers goes...heck, yes!
    Most civilians would be open to learning how to especially if there was a way to snap their neck or do it in a non-gory way so you don't freak out already unhinged passengers.

However, for the wide viewing audience actually showing how to kill even in this context would provoke a s-storm of self-righteous indignation which wouldn't be helpful. We can certainly use our imagination.

Sometimes you have to let something slide in order to make a bigger point.