Thread: Fire Steel & handle project

Default Fire Steel & handle project

For anyone that has ever bought a fire steel that does NOT have a handle, or say your handle breaks, this is something you might like. The only tools I used were a Tomahawk and knife,so it is fairly simple - add some glue or epoxy and you have all the equipment you need.
    First I cut a cedar limb from a dead cedar tree, looking for a limb that would most likely be easy to grip well. Then deciding on what part of the limb would best suit my need, cut it down to 7". The end that the fire steel goes in is actually cut with nothing more than a Tomahawk, just takes a little "Doing" to get it cut nearly flush.Here are all the parts,and tools I used minus the 'Hawk.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is the hole drilled out using just the two blades from the multi tool.

This is after the Fire Steel was glued in.

This is the glue(Gorilla Glue) as it expanded out.Kinda' blurry.

This is the finished project about 11" overall,real comfortable in the hand and MUCH easier striking a spark!!

Time to make a couple of hours total. I cut the limb just before dark last night, and finished up this morning. Easy peasy. I chose Cedar because worse comes to worse I can use the handle to get some shavings from to help start a fire.

That is really cool. Maybe you could also drill a hole in a piece of fat pine. Those shaving will burn well.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Nice work Poco. That firesteel sure looks familiar.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It should - it's one just like you showed me at the Jamboree!! Sparks the best I think. I ordered th 5 pack upgrade from Firesteel.com . That is the second largest one in the pack. The largest one has a hole drilled in it for a Lanyard. the two smallest went in my wallet. The mid-size one I gave to Dottie to go in her BOB. She actually has one now!!!(BOB that is)

I have the same project on back log! Maybe a lanyard with jute twine which would be tender attached?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Nice Poco!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Well since it's such a simple project maybe you could do it while taking a break? The absolute worst part of the project had nothing to do with the "project" at all. I had to wade through some heavy brush to get to the dead tree I could see. Little did I know that it was full of hitch hikers!! It took me about an hour to get them off my clothes and shoes!!
    I like the idea CS,Jute or heavy cotton string either one would be a great addition. Either would be useful as emergency tinder. Now I have something to add to mine!! Thanks!!

I get plenty of Jute when I buy square bails. I know you have horses might be a thought?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I've tried the baling twine that is on them, and it doesn't burn well even being lit by a lighter,which is why I'm thinking heavy cotton twine. That and he fact that the baling twine just doesn't hold up for very long.

Poco - sisal twine works well for a birds nest tinder bundle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I collected some but honestly I hadn't tried burning it. I have seen several posts suggesting Jute works well. I think what is on my bails is Jute. I will check and get back with ya!

looks like a good project for my boy scouts. I bought them a bunch of firesteels with no handles and planned on doing something similar.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Good stuff !!!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
    -Jonesy

I tried the twine off of my hay bails last night. I was starting a fire with wet wood down on the river. It didn't want to get started using my grease candles I made. So I had alot of the stuff from the hay bails in my kit for testing well it gave me a good hot burn and got the fire going!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice work Poco. That firesteel sure looks familiar.
    For a minute there I had to check my knife sheath to see if my firesteel was missing. Good job Poco!

I like the idea of maybe using Fat Wood for a handle.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com