Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Time Period

Blog Entries

Default What Is Your Favorite Time Period

If ya'll could live in any time period what would it be?
    Mine would be in the 1750' or 1760's right before and during the French & Indian War. I would love to have lived back then, knowing what I know now (as far as survival goes) with my longbow and flintlock. Even the politics, cause I'd alert the Native American Tribes as to what was coming. Is that sedition? Too bad.
    No taking the firearms you have now either, everything else is okay (yeah Sarge ya can bring that K-bar of yours)
    Last edited by Beo; 11-01-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

mid 1800's, and me too on the "sedition" I'd definitely want to let a few people know what was coming.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Yeah, drive them palefaces out or keep them in line. While being Irish/American I'm a paleface... my brother-in-law is Ojibwe. Now I can't say I was raised and trained by native elders but I learned alot of skills from his dad, brothers, and uncles.
    And I don't belive anyone discovered America, you can't discover a land when the Natives are already there and greeting you, if it weren't for them they'd of all starved the first winter!
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    And I don't belive anyone discovered America, you can't discover a land when the Natives are already there and greeting you,
    I've always thought I should just jump on a plane for England or France and when I land, hop out and plant a flag and "discover" them. I could claim them as new territory for Traxistan
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Yeah, drive them palefaces out or keep them in line.

Well, selfishly, I've just always wanted to participate in a buffalo hunt before the herds were decimated the way they were, but I wanted enough technology that firearms were available to me. You've seen the pictures right? Where they'd ride right into the herd, load a single shot muzzleloader on horseback and make the shot? Kind of makes most "extreme" sports sort of pale by comparison.

I'm always a fan of feudal Europe. Knights and castles and marauding Visigoths. Robin Hood and mercenaries. The list continues.

I guess I've always been a fan of siege warfare, phallaxes and strategies that did not involve whoever had the best aircraft or tank.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

So true bro.

Blog Entries

Beo, you're a trekker, you can't hide.

Honestly,

It would be this time period. I have the knowledge and some of the skills of the early pioneers and mountain dwellers, along with the interest.

I once told my grandpop that I thought I was born to late in time. He said I was born just at the right time. A time that the old ways are still new, a time that as the old ways start to get forgotten, and I, FVR can continue some of the old ways and pass them onto my children. Who in turn will pass them on to their children and so on.

Modern day hunters with all their gadgets and toys, still look in aww when I pull out my home made stickbow or my 67" long Lancaster rifle. Then when you throw in primitive skills..................

I will be at the local elem. school on the 20th dressed in buckskins and critter clothes, educating little ones on Indian and primitive skills.

They already had a dose of the critter skins. Yeh, some see their daddy's deer heads on the wall, but to actually run your hands through the skin, or burry your face in a gun cover that is the softest plucked muskrat you'll ever feel. To pick up and hold wild boar tusks and to see how coarse and rough the hair is. Let's not forget about the monster 10pt rack that they got to hold up to their little heads, even the teachers had amazed comments at the size of it. Yeh, I hunted it, 5 bucks at a yard sale. Spotted, stalked, picked a spot, whoooooshhhhh, got'm, here's your 5 bucks maam, and thanks.

Blog Entries

FVR, honest as ever, I think you are right. Taking my son and his friends out and showing them the skills to live off the land is really satisfying, and nothing beats my Long Land Pattern Brown Bess Flintlock Musket in .65 cal or my longbow.
    Yeah I'll stay right here.
    And thanks.
    Beo,

Blog Entries

Second thought gimme 1756

Blog Entries

You'd be in "The Seven Years War" that I believe lasted 9 or 10 years. Chances are you would be participating in the French & Indian War.

Maybe, just maybe you would be serving with a young Swamp Fox.

Post a pic of that Brown Bess and your knife.
    Last edited by FVR; 11-02-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but I'd be with the Huron, or Ottawa, Mohawk, or Deleware. Probably Huron or Deleware. Then scout out towards the Ohio and link up with the Miami actually its (Myaamia) but of course we palefaces screw up everything we come in contact with. But all the while I'd be warning them of the encroaching white bastards from France and England, tell them of how the Spanish freaks were sneaking up on them from the south and raise an army of millions of Native Americans and we sweep them all away before us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn that was quite a dream.

Right now is fine with me you get a lot from old and new. I like the old ways but enjoy the refinement of the old ways aswell. Regardless of your equipment you are practicing an old skill. The only guy to die on the Voage of discovery did so from appendicits.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I guess I would like early 1800's preferably in the Yukon or the Rockies always dreamed of being the mountain man trapping hunting etc.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's my Brown Bess Flintlock FVR. Which knife u talking bout as I have several?
    Last edited by Beo; 11-02-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here's my wooden canteen, although I don't use it alot, I use a waterskin most of the time.

My avitar, Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers fame points to the idea I too would like the 1750 - 1770 time period.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Blog Entries

Here here RobertRogers, I'll go wit ya

Blog Entries

Default Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Right now is fine with me you get a lot from old and new. I like the old ways but enjoy the refinement of the old ways aswell. Regardless of your equipment you are practicing an old skill. The only guy to die on the Voage of discovery did so from appendicits.
    Yeah, look at the medical strides we've made. Lot's more prescription drugs Doctors can wrongly prescribe. Seriously though, the life expectantcy was a lot shorter back then.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Yeah, look at the medical strides we've made. Lot's more prescription drugs Doctors can wrongly prescribe. Seriously though, the life expectantcy was a lot shorter back then.
    Shorter for sure but more freedom. I'd make that trade as long as the shorter was just a possibility. Not guaranteed. Early 1800's would work for me but only because I'm white. If I was native American then early 1700's would be better but If I was black, now would be a good time. Guess it all depends on ethnic and geographical perspective.