Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Urban Survival Manual, any ideas?

The obvious issue becomes the reason to make a decision in the first place. There are reasons to leave and leave now where ever you are and equally good reasons to stay in place. Each one, I think, must be judged on its own merits.

We've discussed, at some length, various options for Benesse and other New Yorkers but none of them are very good. Especially in the Manhattan area. And apartment living does not lend itself well to stockpiling much of anything. But, it can be done for the short term.

One thing we have not talked about is the basement of your building. Will your association allow you to place a locked cabinet there to store items in? Perhaps your building association would consider some locked storage area for all of you to use. Maybe not this complex but something that would keep outsiders out.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, we do have a private storage space in the basement and I guess it's time to admit that nothing there is more important than survival supplies--water to begin with. (If I could get over my hatred of water beds I could easily accommodate two right in the apt.)

TMax, a hidden wall space is a terrific idea!
    Wish I had enough sense to do it before we moved in, although even now, it's worth considering. It would be a small enough project we could handle ourselves otherwise it gets complicated.

It's time to recalibrate some priorities.

BENESSE - I don't know if this is an option for you, but are there any self storage units nearby? Something that would allow 24 hr access. If that is something you would look at for the situations you envision, I would want to make sure that I could access my storage unit even if power went out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Water beds are not an option for storing water. A water conditioner is usually added to the water to protect the vinyl and keep the water clean. I think it has to be added every six months. You wouldn't want to drink that.

As for hidden spaces, beneath any enclosed stairwell and above dropped ceilings are places that could serve as potential storage.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Water beds are not an option for storing water. A water conditioner is usually added to the water to protect the vinyl and keep the water clean. I think it has to be added every six months. You wouldn't want to drink that.

As for hidden spaces, Beneath any enclosed stairwell and above dropped ceilings are places that could serve as potential storage.
    Couldn't you treat the H2O it if you had tothe way you would say, pond water with purification tablets, etc.?
    Could you bathe in it?

We actually have dropped ceilings but I couldn't figure out how to make the access inconspicuous.
    I guess I can always hang a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    BENESSE - I don't know if this is an option for you, but are there any self storage units nearby? Something that would allow 24 hr access. If that is something you would look at for the situations you envision, I would want to make sure that I could access my storage unit even if power went out.
    They are quite a schlep from my place, but space being at a premium, they too are in a high rise and in a shady part of town.
    I wondered though if public storage would be a looting target since it won't be defended like a home might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Benesse
    Couldn't you treat the H2O it if you had tothe way you would say, pond water with purification tablets, etc.?
    Could you bathe in it?
    Treating water doesn't remove the chemicals. You are treating only to keep pathogens like cysts, amoebas, bacteria and viruses from causing you illness. I wouldn't want to bathe in chemically treated water either. You could use it for toilets, however.

You may have little or no space above the suspended ceiling. However, if you do have sufficient space, a small shelf suspended above the false ceiling and anchored into the supports would give you a place to hide items that might be of more value and certainly items you would not require constant access to. I would pick a location in a corner of the room so you would have two walls to help support as opposed to the middle of the room, for example. I would want to construct the shelf so it has some ability to secure items. You certainly wouldn't want things shaking loose in an earthquake and come crashing down through the ceiling. Perhaps a ledge around the exposed edge of the shelf to keep thing from sliding off. Just a thought but any area that you can use and would be hidden would be to your advantage.

Something similar to this:

You can see the small lip in the next picture. That's what I meant to keep things from sliding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Treating water doesn't remove the chemicals. You are treating only to keep pathogens like cysts, amoebas, bacteria and viruses from causing you illness. I wouldn't want to bathe in chemically treated water either. You could use it for toilets, however.

You may have little or no space above the suspended ceiling. However, if you do have sufficient space, a small shelf suspended above the false ceiling and anchored into the supports would give you a place to hide items that might be of more value and certainly items you would not require constant access to. I would pick a location in a corner of the room so you would have two walls to help support as opposed to the middle of the room, for example. I would want to construct the shelf so it has some ability to secure items. You certainly wouldn't want things shaking loose in an earthquake and come crashing down through the ceiling. Perhaps a ledge around the exposed edge of the shelf to keep thing from sliding off. Just a thought but any area that you can use and would be hidden would be to your advantage.

Something similar to this:

You can see the small lip in the next picture. That's what I meant to keep things from sliding off.

Boy, that much ceiling space in NY would count as another room.

Next time around when we move and before we renovate, I'll be much smarter about how I use space. I am certainly looking at it in a whole new way, thanks to all of you who've come through with some excellent suggestions.