Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Forage

No I just used that as an example. There's something like 50 plants that have the same Common Name of Bachelor Buttons, although there are several genus and species differences among the 50. It would not let me add a plant 'cause it said "This Common Name is already in the Database" although the Scientific Name was different. So I quit trying on that plant. I haven't tried it yet but let's say I used "Pine" as a common name but I was talking about the particular variety of white pine, and slash pine had already been entered into the database as pine even though they have different scientific names.This is the problem I had.

I'd like the exact name you were trying to use so I can look at it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Never mind I just added it!! I was trying to add a different species of Goldenrod. Canada Goldenrod Solidago canadensis . I guess the system had a "hiccup" or I wasn't holding my mouth right or something.

Nice pics Poco!!!.... I've plotted a buch of locations but am having a hard time adding new plants......keeps saying "invalid file type". nevermind I figured out how to re-size
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I have a question for the Mods what can be done to edit information on plants? For example Chicory Cichorium intybus is listed it says that there are no Medicinal properties,yet I have found in My "Petersons guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs" That it DOES have medicinal qualities.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-10-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Mods can edit plants - I'll take care of the chicory. You should be able to add the additional comments.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So just to make sure that I am Clear...If I find another instance I can just PM you,Rick, or Sarge and let you know and then everything will be cool right?
    Who is LOGOS? Member list says they are a Super Moderator,they listed the chicory but they have no posts? A Mystery Moderator? Hmmmm, and the plot thickens.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-10-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Yep, just let us know. You can add the comments, and we can edit it for you. As far as Logos and Mcoffey - those are the screen names of two folks that Chris had working on the database.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

nice pics poco, the footprint makes me ready for deer season. I saw 2 nice bucks the otherday and they made me want to pull the car over.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Default Instead of starting a new thread I thought...

I'd just add to this on I already started on the same subject...

Went on another little walk around the neighbor hood and took plenty of pics. Some of this stuff is not in the database so if anyone can type faster than me feel free to add them. Just let me know if you do and I'll add the location. That is the only reason I'm not adding them to the Database is my slow typing. It takes me 30-40 minutes for just one plant!!!The pics are located at photobucket.com in my username..pocomoonskyeyes. They are in the album Edible Plants.

Let's start out with some Chicory flowers...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now for a plant that is NOT in the Database Common Greenbrier Smilax rotundifolia rootstock can be used to make a Jelly.

The rest are labeled in the "album". Sassafras shoot, rose hips,Red Clover

Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-13-2009 at 05:39 PM.

well let me add a few more...
    Bull Thistle

Dogwood Cornus floridana

Wild Grape Vitis spp.

Sumac Rhus spp. any except Rhus vernix

Nice pics Poco.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You know one thing I like about this thread as well as the Purslane experiment? It is stuff that is all around us. We just walked in our neighborhood. If someone came out our front door and used a whistle we would've heard it.We were that close the whole time we walked around. It's not like you have to go waaaay out in the woods to find wild edibles. It's a good way to do two things - Learn Edible plants, and get some daily exercise.

This is a great thread. Is that Goldenrod in front of the sumac? Are there look a likes to Goldenrod?

Speaking of urban forage and sunflowers, anybody ever harvest Jerusalem artichoke tubers/ roots?

I find lots of it growing along the roadsides, woods, creeks, ponds, pretty much everywhere I look. But, after digging a couple times I haven't found any tubers.

Yes that is Goldenrod Solidago canadensis, I am not aware of any look a likes, although I am no authority. I have never seen Jerusalem Artichoke , but then again maybe I have,as I'm not familiar with this plant. I could have been overlooking it and never even noticed it.

Erunk has posted several times about Jerusalem Artichokes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll have to look that up thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the links.

i have a lot of wild grape where i live. the fruit is excellent [when you can find it fully ripened], though the seeds are large. i was disappointed to learn that the leaves [at least of our local species] are very bitter.

we have lots of milk thistle. purslane loves to over-run any disturbed area, as does sow thistle, dandelion and several others.

decorative plums, which vary from bitter and intensely sour to large, juicy and sweet are a common decorative tree. black walnut grows everywhere it can get a foothold and there are a great many old oaks remaining, of enourmous stature. in some areas, apple, crab apple and cherry are also popular.

the urban and suburban setting can offer a great deal of food.

we have a lot of irrigation canals here, in which the bullfrogs thrive, and along which you can find many reptiles which would otherwise have a hard time finding sanctuary in a city setting.

municipal parks often offer far greater fare.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.