Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Season

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Did you guys know that in the great depression of the 30's, squirrels were almost killed into extinction in areas of the United States?
    Deer also, so what are we gonna eat if this SHTF thing happens?.. I guess we'll be hunting Ramen
    Last edited by socom2173; 02-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.

You must be holding your mouth wrong.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by socom2173 View Post
    Deer also, so what are we gonna eat if this SHTF thing happens?.. I guess we'll be hunting Ramen
    The deer were hunted out long before the depression! Unrestricted hunting led to the elimination of most of the deer population before 1800. I know that in my old hometown in TN they had a historic marker on the spot where the last elk was killed in 1803. Boone and most of the old hunters lerft KY by the 1790 time frame due to lack of game.

After 1800 the caliber of the kentucky rifles went down from average of .55-58 caliber to .26-.35, because there was only small game to hunt. One of the benchmarks of the Hawkin rifles was that they increased the bore of the KY for sure kills on elk and the plains game at .50-55 caliber.

It was not until even the small game was nearly shot to extinction that the states formed "game and fish comissions" and started liscensing hunters and setting seasons and limits. That happened in most states around 1900.

As soon as the population density goes over one person per sq/mi you leave the realm of living off the land. Best to get started on the chicken coops and rabbit pens now before the rush.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If your thinking REALLY primitive, there are two things I think you could try: One, a trowing stick with a sharpened edge. Two, a rock, thrown and/or as a hammer. Me, personally, I'd go with a bow and arrow, but that might hurt the hide and/or meat (but probably not too much, now that I think about it. Whatever you use, Good Hunting!
    Nature is great, God is greater.

I've heard the old timers say the easiest primitive method is to sneak up behind them and sprinkle some salt on their tail. You can pick them right up if you do that. Works every time, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I'm confused. I like to eat squirrels! I dunno what would be sick about this thread?
    I agree with him there good eat'n.

Anthor way is to have a sapling or pole bent down with a noose on the end and have it standing up so there head is pushing through it and it trips the pole to yank up and noose the squirrel. Or just use a rat trap works every time.

use a blow gun. they are cheap to buy and with practice they are pretty accurate. I use one to control the woodpeckers around my house in town.

Picture a rat trap (old style with wooden base) baited with peanut butter hanging by a wire flat against the side of a tree. Squirrel comes down tree, smells peanut butter, takes a bite and wham - you have yourself a squirrel !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Blowguns are not acceptable hunting weapons.
    I've seen too many videos of animals being tortured by multiple darts, even being chased and clubbed, because it is rare that a dart kills. Many animals get away and are never found, obviously dying horribly, probably from infection.
    There's a reason primitive peoples tipped their darts with poison. It was the only way to ensure a kill.

Anything that gets food in a survival situation is an acceptable weapon. I don't care if I have to chew on its throat for 15 minutes while it screams in pain before dying.

Blog Entries

I will never understand the cold hostility toward squirrels so shamelessly displayed here.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If you're close enough to use the blowgun you can probably just use the blowgun to club it.
    A throwing stick would be better than a blowgun.
    A snare would be more productive.

A trained bobcat?

I use a cold steel big bore blowgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This is, without a doubt, the sickest thread ever started in the Forums. Just sick, sick, sick.
    Gray squirrels were eaten in earlier times by Native Americans and their meat is still popular with hunters across most of their range in North America. Today, it is still available for human consumption and is occasionally sold in the United Kingdom.

[QUOTE=RCKCRWLER;160623]Rat traps and peanut butter. Tie the trap to a tree so only squirrels get nabbed and you aren't leaving holes in the trees. Hide's good and you won't be worrying about chomping down on a "bb" when you are eating it.

I disagree somewhat - Peanut butter attracts more mice and will lick the trap clean... I use two havaheart's with a squirrel proof bird feeder in a pole above... I set the E-Z sets with lots of human consumption peanuts - Spanish reds if you can find them and put black sunflower in the feeder above the quick set havahearts. The combination is devastating to the greys.. They watch the birds for sign and cannot help themselves - I can wipe out the customers issue and all the neighbors with this set up.

besides you can save the pelts and drown them live. Or wrap the trap in a clear garbage back and pump in carbon dioxide., the gas place will sell you a cylinder and add a 1/2 tube on the connection. I just release them about five miles in a park.

No PM's from Peta's please.. I know the rules and the laws,,, seriously.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I will never understand the cold hostility toward squirrels so shamelessly displayed here.
    Squirrels demolish attics, electric wires, cause fires and when they die a month or two later you have so many flies in your house you can't keep up. The can chew so many holes in the soffits your house will look like swiss cheese. The urine will break thru you attic into the bedroom. They will eat insulation and when they cannot digest anything they die in the attic.... suddenly you have so many insects you would not ever think of looking up there for the cause.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    lol. pets.

next thing you know people will have pet chickens, and birds, and fish, and pet pigs...

...oh wait...

i'm getting hungry
    Very comical... I got a couple pet chickens in my flock. And my sis-in-law has a pet pig. Lol. But with me.... I ain't afraid to kill off a pet chicken for food...

Back to the thread topic. I used to use shotguns but since I put a scope on my .22 I won't switch back.. and it's only family here so I know where everyone is at when I hunt :-)

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The new place is riddled with the things. Been using a pellet gun, but now the weather is getting cool, I want to try a bunch of the trapping techniques. might even lob a stabbie stick at them to see how bad it tears them up. with some rice and gravy... mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've heard the old timers say the easiest primitive method is to sneak up behind them and sprinkle some salt on their tail. You can pick them right up if you do that. Works every time, too.
    I know this was back in March of 2012, but what in the world are you talkin' 'bout Rick?
    Or maybe a better question would be what in the world were you on/drinking?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!